View Full Version : Looking for a Conrad Jr.

go4broke44
01-04-2009, 08:09 PM
I'm working on some conrad Jr's for myself and some friends, and would like something to compare it to so that I know if the action is right or not. anyone have one they would want to trade? I'd be willing to offer any style lure, or a conrad when I get them to the right stage.

heavily fished is fine, just need something intact with the right action.

ProfessorM
01-05-2009, 12:47 PM
Just remember there is a difference between a Pinchney and a BM. the BM is about .050 larger in dia. at the front, lip, area and .100 dia. smaller at the tail. Just for your info.

go4broke44
01-05-2009, 01:27 PM
I'm going for the Pinchney shape, although without a duplicator they probably vary a bit from plug to plug. are the lips the same between the danny and BM?

ProfessorM
01-05-2009, 02:29 PM
Pretty much the same as they are both the same width as the front of the plug face. Basically want the lip to be exact width as the plug or vise versa.

go4broke44
01-13-2009, 10:54 AM
I know most of you frequent "other" fishing forums, for those who don't I figure I'll post this here:

I have been working on making Conrad Jr. plugs, based on the pichney design as recorded by poster ProfessorM. I finally got around to making the unique conrad lips for the blanks I have turned, figured I would post a "final product" picture. Now I just need to see how she swims! I have also started working on a Conrad Peanut proto, based on pictures of it, and using ratios from the Sr and Jr models. I would be happy to send one or two of the peanut out so that people can tell me what they think, or maybe I will make some for plugfest.

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b393/go4broke44/DSCN1670-1.jpg

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b393/go4broke44/DSCN1671-1.jpg

numbskull
01-13-2009, 07:34 PM
Looks good to me, though I'd suggest trying one with more belly weight so you can dispense with the tail hook and use just a tail alone (that set up fished very well for me this past year). Check the length of the lower part of the lip as well, it looks a tiny bit short in the photo (or maybe it is just bent down more than what I fished). That planing surface helps the plug get depth.

go4broke44
01-14-2009, 09:53 AM
I suppose drilling the belly weight hole a little deeper would in turn float it a little deeper and I could just use a flag tail, while a treble tail would probably level it out as far as floating trim. Maybe I'll try a flag tail on the next few, I need to turn some more, or finish the eelskin versions hanging in the "paint dept". The original pichneys all seemed to have dressed siwash tails or treble tails though.

for the lip, I have the length of the "tongue" measured at .75" long, and from the x-ray pictures it looks to be at about a 45* angle, mine might look a little shorter though because of the lazy bend radius (don't have a vise).

numbskull
01-14-2009, 10:15 AM
I suppose drilling the belly weight hole a little deeper would in turn float it a little deeper and I could just use a flag tail, while a treble tail would probably level it out as far as floating trim. Maybe I'll try a flag tail on the next few, I need to turn some more, or finish the eelskin versions hanging in the "paint dept". The original pichneys all seemed to have dressed siwash tails or treble tails though.

for the lip, I have the length of the "tongue" measured at .75" long, and from the x-ray pictures it looks to be at about a 45* angle, mine might look a little shorter though because of the lazy bend radius (don't have a vise).

You may know this already, but for those that don't, there are vise grip pliers with about 3" flat jaws made for bending sheet metal. They're useful for bending lips if you don't have a vise.

go4broke44
01-14-2009, 10:44 AM
I still don't think those would give you a really crisp bend though, unless you had 2 pairs? I've been clamping them between the tailstock and lathe bed, and then bending up against the edge on the bottom of the tailstock, gives a nice square bend, I don't really want to be hammering on it to get it crisp though.