View Full Version : Easy now Dems......

RIJIMMY
01-06-2009, 12:36 PM
Do you really need this Burris controversy right now? The Illinois governor is still in office and has all the rights of a governor. Burris is denied entry to the senate. Why? What point are you trying to make?
The eyes of the country are on you. In less than 15 days, there were no longer be anyone to blame but yourselves! And other than GWB, who has the least favorable rating in history, thats right! Its you, the Democratic Congress!

So please, we're all about change now, lets move forward. Stop, as Obama says "playing Washington games". Because pretty soon, you're going to look really silly to Americans who have bigger problems right now.

EarnedStripes44
01-06-2009, 01:54 PM
The real question is, what does Blagojevich have to gain from the impending circus. Enter the complicit media for they will take this hook, line and sinker. This may just prove to be brilliant political calculus on the part of the embattled governor.

One thing about Illinois, is that there are a lot of black people living there. Burris, as we know is black and his technically lawful appointment will curry much favor within 17% of the state residents that subscribe to that social construct that has laid categorical claim to that segment of citizenry. The impending circus on the other hand, complete with media opinion makers riding high on elephants, will spur support among blacks for Burress' seating and more important, polarize it. Race in the media is programming gold even if buttressed by some other nominal issue-du-jour. This all benefits Blagojevich indirectly, because some of these blacks who support Burress, by virtue of the odds, will most likely end up in his jury pool. The more sensational and dramatic the circus, the more likely we are to encounter hardened and entrenched positions for and against. Couple this with the gripes some blacks already have against the legal process. Stubborn folks can be disaster for a jury and Blago is preparing for trial. This guy, if he's going to go, is going kicking and sceaming like a Lobster at Skipjacks.

Again this all just politics and mostly opinion, but if what I presume turns out to be true, it would be a masterful play of the race card.

RIJIMMY
01-06-2009, 02:15 PM
But, its making local politics, national and since its ALL Dems involved, whats to gain by blocking Burris?
From what I've read, he is highly regarded. I think this is a lose/lose situation and the Dems should have let him walk right in to the senate this morning.

Nebe
01-06-2009, 02:36 PM
its about idealology. The process was tainted.

PaulS
01-06-2009, 03:38 PM
The repubs. were giddy when this first came out and they were yelling about pay for play. If the dems. just allowed a govern. who is being investigated for trying to sell a senate seat to appoint a senator, wouldn't the assumption be that they were somehow ignoring the allegations? If Burris' is seated or not, the next senator to hold Obama's seat will be and A. Amer.

Not to highjack this but did I read that Bloggo's in laws have lots of money? If not, I would suppose he's trying to hang on b/c he's atleast getting paid (sort of like Roland did a few years back in Ct). The other thing, if the resigns, wouldn't it make him seem more guilty in the eyes of most people??

EarnedStripes44
01-06-2009, 04:45 PM
But, its making local politics, national and since its ALL Dems involved, whats to gain by blocking Burris?
From what I've read, he is highly regarded. I think this is a lose/lose situation and the Dems should have let him walk right in to the senate this morning.

Well to answer your question, i'm not sure what ALL dems have to gain by blocking Burris.

Although he has not been indicted, to say his rep is tarnished is a bit of an understatement and his political currency has evaporated so Blago has everything to gain. If he is vindicated, this could be huge embarrassment for Harry Reid and Illinois Secretary of State, among others. Burris is the sacrificial lamb that could prove to save his career and keep him out of some nondescript US Pen.