View Full Version : 20 pound lobster

Carl
12-18-2002, 04:19 PM
One of the groups here at work had a little Christmas lunch today. What was for luch was nothing little. It was a 20 pound lobster!. This thing was enormous. It fed the whole group and then some. Unfortunately, it wasn't my group. Anyway, I was just wondering if anybody knows how old a lobster that large would be?

JohnR
12-18-2002, 04:32 PM
Real old... A buddy of mine lobsters for a living ip Maine. We caught a monster in a trap that was just enormous. But it was also too BIG to legally keep so we reluctantly sent it back.

He said they live very long lives when they get the chance.

Christian
12-18-2002, 05:40 PM
my biology teacher said that they pulled a real big one out of boston harbor that got its claw stuck in the trap a long time ago.

Saltheart
12-20-2002, 08:26 AM
I once saw a guy walking a huge lobster (20 pound range like you mentioned) down Bannister's Wharf in Newport on a dog leash! :) He was doing more dragging than walking.

jettyjockey18
12-20-2002, 08:36 AM
i think i remember the huge lobster they pulled out of boston harbor some years back...i think they had it on display at the ne aquarium. the biologists estimated the age of that lobster at 125 years+/-...:eek:

Christian
12-21-2002, 01:46 PM
thats the one.:)

Katie
12-23-2002, 02:16 PM
a 20 pounder ay?

From what i have learned in science what isn't musch (unfortunitely)

It would have to be like ummm if i'm thinking right

around maybe 26 years old... Not bad

Jaiem
12-23-2002, 06:02 PM
Biggest I ever caught SCUBA diving was about 7 or 8 pounds. Got it on a wreck of a trawler off VA Beach some years ago.

There are wrecks off the south shore of LI that hold (or at least used to) 20 pounders and more. Can't imagine how it would taste though. I thought that 7/8 pounder wasn't the best eating.

Can you have a lobster mounted??

Downeast Linesider
12-24-2002, 08:14 PM
Contact www.state.me.us/dmr/ Dept. of Marine Resources. Possibly boothbayharbor.com The biologists lab located there. I,m a commercial lobsterfisherman living eastern ME. Any lobster under 3.25 inches will be immediately released (across the carapace or back). Any lobster 5 inches or more will be immediately released. Any female lobster with a v-notch in the flipper second from the right will be immediately released. Any female berried(eggs) lobster is to be v-notched and released immediately. These lobsters are all considered breeders. Conservation measures set in place with the help fishermen, but only good to our state 3-mile limit. Twenty pound lobster ,take him or her down to the shore and let him or her go. Think of the lobsters they could create! Go get yourself a mess of chick lobsters, much better eating! It is possible to mount a lobster, but you can,t eat it. Take the lobster ,set on it an ant hill. Wait a month, the ants will have cleaned out. Cover the lobster with box, bucket ,whatever so a cat ,dog does not get it before you do. The product will turn color, pinkish. Pin down on a board, varnish or shellac. Will not look like a twelve point buck, but you will have it for a long time.

STRIPER77
12-25-2002, 10:27 PM
We didn't need PETA to check in here. He just asked how old the lobster might be!!!!!!:smash: :confused: :confused:

mrmacey
12-26-2002, 03:36 AM
says this one is 80 years old!!

JohnR
12-26-2002, 08:47 AM
Striper, I think Downeast said the right thing, he gave the local regs (which are obviously true) and said EXACTLY what my friend that lobsters told me when we got an enourmous one a few years back - we let it go... Kinda like applying the same adherence to the rules for bass... No biggie...

Some big lobster photos in there, I should see if I can find the pic I have...

Jaiem
12-26-2002, 06:11 PM
BTW, they don't grow with rubber bands on them. :D