View Full Version : F-ing Apple

RIJIMMY
01-07-2009, 02:53 PM
I've had itunes on the pc for over 3 years. I use it to download music and my wife got an ipod shuffle last year. I've had no problems and been happy with it. After spending Christmas with my bro-inlaw, I was amazed at the extent of the ipod classics functionality and that it can hold close to 30,000 songs. I have been meaning to clean up my cd collection and this seemed like an ideal solution. I picked up a new ipod classic this weekend. When I hooked it up, it required me to load the newest itunes version - 8. All hell breaks loose. I couldnt access the itunes store or register the ipod. Then I get windows blue screens with critical errors. I deleted and reinstalled the new version 5 times! My pc is like a broken down piece of junk, it crashes ever 15 minutes and I cant even use the ipod to load cds! WTF!
I called a local computer guy today to get him to fix it and hopefully install itunes. If not, I have to return the ipod.
This should be SO simple. I had less trouble wirining a home av receiver. This shouldnt blow up my whole system!! :smash::smash:

JohnnyD
01-07-2009, 11:36 PM
Typically, nothing about the ipod should cause issues with your system. Aside from some internal files changed by iTunes when you first connect it, nothing else changes with your system.

Is it possible you picked up a virus over the holidays? Holiday season brings out some of the worst in virus spreading because everyone's emailing christmas cards or pictures.

RIJIMMY
01-08-2009, 12:05 PM
its not the ipod, its version 8 of itunes. Google itunes 8 issues with windows XP.
I'm not the only one. I downloaded it at work and had no problem, its something on my PC that is causing the issue. Itunes 8 contains a lot more BS that is interfering with my pc.

JohnnyD
01-08-2009, 01:32 PM
Ah yes. Sorry, I overlooked that you upgraded. When you uninstalled iTunes, did you also uninstall the Apple Mobile Device Support software?

Doing a little googling... it looks like this was a big problem back when they released the newest iTunes, but Apple supposedly released a fix for it back in mid-Sept.

I'm sorry I can't be more help. Although, I've always been suspicious of Apple software/hardware when used with a PC. Whenever I hear about people having issues getting Apple products to work with PC, it always seems to coincide with a new string of Mac vs. PC commercials.

RIJIMMY
01-08-2009, 01:38 PM
I have a guy taking the pc and cleaning it up, and then hopefully getting version 8 up and running

JohnnyD
01-08-2009, 06:57 PM
Good Luck!

RIJIMMY
01-16-2009, 10:54 AM
got the pc back yesterday, all cleaned and running smooth, no issues with itunes now!

JohnnyD
01-16-2009, 12:33 PM
Congrats!

Do you know what he did to resolve the issue?