View Full Version : Plug Bag Dry Rotting

RNC
01-09-2009, 06:07 PM
Anyone ever have a plug bag dry rot on them? If so, how? Neglect and not rinsing them down each night etc... Also what brand was it?

SAUERKRAUT
01-10-2009, 12:12 AM
Your question is a good one...Cotton (i.e. canvas) and salt are bitter enemies. I'm starting to use some high end bags now along with my usual fare of military surplus bags. They all dysfunction if you do not take METICULOUS care of them, like you would with all the other components of your surf gear. The dried salt crystals are an abrasive and they cut the fibers and threads, whether the threads are cotton on the low end, or nylon stitching on the high end. Thus, your velcro frays away, your bag stitching unravels, and your bag falls apart or "rots". Need I mention your nice nylon zippers totally jamming up.

I completely unload, unpack, and freshwater wash down, and dry everything that goes on or into my surfbag after every trip. There is no such thing as an unused lure, rig, or hook at the end of a session. You will rust and rot away until you wash the salt out. Use some cheap little plug-in boot dryers to have your washed out bags dry and ready between tides.

Big Dave
01-10-2009, 07:12 AM
I have green canvas bags that are over 20 years old. truth be told the only time they get washed is when it rains. I have worn out the botton on a couple of them from routinely being placed on rocks at the canal.

I really liked the old JT bags, you could buy them for 15 bucks and custom make the inserts. Still use them today

numbskull
01-10-2009, 07:29 AM
You will rust and rot away until you wash the salt out. .

Probably too late, but in your case you might want to put the hose in your ear as well.

jimmy z
01-10-2009, 07:45 AM
Yea, once it rotten, 86 it.
I have one I use, that I made a few years ago, and the only maintenance it gets is some silicone spray on the zipper.
I'm a firm believer of, " nothing lasts forever".
:btu:

Stewie
01-11-2009, 09:56 AM
It's just nature's way of telling you it's time to go buy that fancy new bag you have been eyeing these past few months.:wave:

RNC
01-11-2009, 11:20 AM
I just need an excuse to grab a new plug bag but I dont know if I can wait a few months for it to be built.

numbskull
01-11-2009, 01:32 PM
That kind weigh a lot, but they lighten your wallet enough to compensate.