View Full Version : Screw Ups "R" Us

numbskull
01-11-2009, 04:58 PM
Ok, for the benefit of others lets hear some of your better screw ups.

So far this winter,

1) Through drilled 12 darters using the drive center hole as a starter for a brad point bit (sans spurs). Too large a pilot, it wandered enough so that when I cut the waste off the wire hole was off center (a no no with darters)

2) Turned, drilled, sloped, and sealed 24 hard maple Musso darters. Didn't make just one first and weigh/float it. They're all 1/2 oz too heavy and sink.

3) (This is good) Made another run of darters, ready for sealer when I noticed the slope was high on one side. Started "fixing them". After about 6-8, I noticed almost all were that way.....except when I checked them with the other eye and they all looked high on the opposite side. With both eyes they were fine. Fcking bifocals!

4) Went to seal 6 skinny dannys (AYC). The sealer level was a little low. Had a closed unlabeled jar of what I was certain was ValOil. Added it and everything was great.....except it turned out to be compressor oil. Wilbond where are you?

And to think, I haven't even started using epoxy yet. Thank God I don't do this for a living.

Dad 818
01-11-2009, 05:26 PM
Thru-drilled all my stock recently. Turned some stuff, sealed, primed and painted. Went to add the hardware and noticed I had used the wrong size bit. Instead of a 1/8-3/16, I guess I used a 1/4-5/16. So when I put the nose grommets on, they slide beautifully inside of the plug. :cens:

crash
01-11-2009, 05:57 PM
10 plugs on the spinner, an hour later completely forgot about them and ran the table saw, router and chop saw doing some prep work for a cabinet I'm making. After another hour or two of saw dust creating fury I shut down all the stuff in my shop and realized my error. GRRRRRR at least I know who to blame!

Really need to put that thing into a box.

Backbeach Jake
01-11-2009, 06:35 PM
Left the chuck key in the drillpress. Good thing the wife trained me by throwing crockery....

Tagger
01-11-2009, 06:48 PM
1 st time making freshys .. length 3.75",,, boy that drill press likes to rip that stuff right out of your hand and throw them .. Glad I spent better part of the day making them . also ,, I'm blind .. anything I drop is gone ,, get another ,, will never find it ..

BigFish
01-11-2009, 06:55 PM
Funny Ed...when I drop that nose grommet I look for it like they cost $40 bucks each!!!:rotflmao:

scottw
01-11-2009, 07:16 PM
glued my fingers together the other day w/ Zap a Gap....not the first time....

Mr. Krinkle
01-11-2009, 07:38 PM
I just recently got a duplicator. So, I cut some pieces of pine for some danny and musso trollers that I did by hand and wanted to duplicate. I didn't realize that the duplicator starts cutting about an inch over to the right. Needless to say I cut all the pieces of pine short. :hang: for the lures that I want to make.

new jack
01-11-2009, 08:00 PM
while working on some 2oz danny's, i noticed that there were a few burrs left inside a belly hole. So I decided to clean them out. not thinking(of course) grabbed the plug and drilled out the burrs. Well I went to fast and the 5/16 drillbit caught the top of the plug and and ended up putting th bit halfway into the palm of my hand. :laugha:

stoopid stoopid

ProfessorM
01-11-2009, 09:15 PM
LOL George . That was good.

I'm mechanically inclined I screw up everything. Left plugs in sealer about 12 hours more than needed. Other than that not many , yet, Still lots of operations to go, especially the last one, Epoxy.

BBJ I did it with a chuck key that had a chain on it so it wouldn't get lost. That was a rush.

Dad 818
01-11-2009, 09:48 PM

That made me laugh.

Tagger
01-11-2009, 10:22 PM

done that .. thats pretty scary .. gotta start ripping skin ,, stuff works good ,.

Diggin Jiggin
01-12-2009, 07:10 AM
done that .. thats pretty scary .. gotta start ripping skin ,, stuff works good ,.

I use it to glue sluggos to jigheads. I carry it in my belt pouch when I'm waded out so I don't need to get out of the water when I reglue. One day I glued my thumb to my 1209. The thumbprints still on it...

go4broke44
01-12-2009, 10:15 AM
back when I was experimenting with sealers (about 3-6months ago) a plug fell off a screw into the container of thompson waterseal. its still in there (I can't get it out!) I should figure out how to get it out though, because that thing will never soak up water!

I missed like 3 through-holes in a row drilling pencils last week, I think the grain was too coarse in the wood I was using which likes to make bits wander. Picked up a new Dewalt 5/32 drill bit though, the thing works good! (it better for close to 5 bucks!)

I epoxied some plugs saturday, for some reason one of them came out looking like a "hammered" finish, no idea why (kinda cool though). That one is for me I guess.

I was cutting a littleneck popper mouth on the lathe with a burr ball, that I had already drilled eyes in. Finished the mouth, but the chuck came loose in the taper and started rumbling out of the headstock, so I held it in with the mouth of the lure while turning the lathe off, and of course it cut the popper mouth deeper, meeting the eye-hole. Hopefully it makes a cool mini-bottle darter though!

numbskull
01-12-2009, 10:53 AM
I use it to glue sluggos to jigheads. I carry it in my belt pouch when I'm waded out so I don't need to get out of the water when I reglue. One day I glued my thumb to my 1209. The thumbprints still on it...

LOL!

Back Beach
01-12-2009, 03:58 PM
Thank God I don't do this for a living.

I know a lot of AYC's are probably thinking the same thing.....:hihi:

NIB
01-14-2009, 07:35 AM
Got a idea while making pikie's to make a drum for the head out of some 7x7 cedar I had.I chucked it up put on the body armour and got in there and turned on the lathe.I did find out that,If a 7x7x7 pc of wood is not centered perfect it will really vibrate.After some nerve racking moments.I was able to get in there.I got the chunk of wood down to the right diameter I wanted.About 5.5 inches..I figured I would just tape the sandpaper to it.I used a old belt from the 24" belt sander.The heavy duct tape I wanted to use was on the job so I had some blue tape around.I could not wait to see how My invention would work so I used the blue tape..I turned on the motor an it was running pretty well.I stuck my hand out to touch it (do not do this)and in that one second the tape let go an the paper whacked my hand.
FWACK,FWACK,FWACK,FWACK,FWACK before I could get it out of there.That belt paper is on the heavy side with a nice canvass backing.Man it did a number on the back of my hand.It rivaled any nuns work with the ruler..
I later learned from Mike Fixter to cut a groove into the drum and set the paper into it.Wedges help to make it tight.
I have yet to get the nerve up for that yet.

redneck24
01-14-2009, 07:50 AM
making pencil poppers, had them all set except the nose, cut the angle the wrong way, doh!

using my buddies miter box, cut some angle on nikes, and didnt realize he had a jig on the saw and i cut it in half :hs: