View Full Version : Val-oil

Striperhound
01-11-2009, 06:01 PM
been a while, is this stuff still readily available. I think I remember some saying it is not. Need to seal up some plugs

striperman36
01-11-2009, 07:18 PM
Propiante is better. withstands them teeth marks

ruhroh
01-11-2009, 08:27 PM
I still get it up here in Mass. just had to search around a bit.

ProfessorM
01-11-2009, 08:55 PM

I never found that to be so. You would have to do 50 dips to get that.

striperondafly
01-11-2009, 08:56 PM
Waterlox - good sealer - one of the many things thing I wouldn't skimp on - split plugs suck

mikecc
01-11-2009, 10:30 PM

Tried it 4 dips with the propiante and could still smell the AYC , IMO if you can still smell the wood after the dip it is not sealed good enough.
Back to Spar Urathane for me.

Mr. Krinkle
01-12-2009, 12:09 PM

I agree with you ProfM about the Proprionate. I have pencils poppers that are chewed to hell by big blues. The proprionate didn't hold at all. That is why I switched to another sealer. I think I did 5 dips.

I also tried sanding sealer, had mixed results.

Now I use spar eurethane and mineral spirits 60/40 (thanks to suggestions from people on here).

ProfessorM
01-12-2009, 12:43 PM
I lean that way too, Spar Urethane, pretty simple method to use.

Striperhound
01-12-2009, 01:34 PM
thanks for the info guys. Here is a follow up. Does it matter if the spar urethane is satin or gloss of does it matter for paint adhesion purposes. How long do you dip and dry with this mix?

ProfessorM
01-12-2009, 02:37 PM
satin is the way to go, no glossy. I am still pretty new to this method but I have left them in for 12 hours and as little as 2 so I guess it really doesn't matter too much, just take longer to dry. I wait a week between most processes, seal, prime, paint, epoxy. But I have always got something going in different phases most of the time so I just do something else. Some paint within a day or two after sealing I have heard. I just prefer to wait. I am in no rush, except about now.

striperman36
01-12-2009, 02:39 PM

Really, that would not be good.
I'll have to view the accursed plug. I am doing all of mine with a initial propiante soak, following by several dips, then painting, followed by about 30 dips.

Not enough to be yellow eyed proof?

ProfessorM
01-12-2009, 02:44 PM
With that many dips you probably might be ok but who has time for 30 to 50 dips. I have not got the patience to do that. I have never seen a plug that withstands bluefish teeth. Might be out there but I have never seen one. Hell my ranger plugs got teeth marks in them. IMO I came to the conclusion it is too much work using the propionate. Notice IMO, which is not worth a lot. Others may feel different and that is A OK too.

Mugz
01-12-2009, 03:46 PM
I have been using sanding sealer........seams okay. I am just trying to avoid having to mix anything with mineral spirits.

striperman36
01-12-2009, 04:10 PM
With that many dips you probably might be ok but who has time for 30 to 50 dips. I have not got the patience to do that. I have never seen a plug that withstands bluefish teeth. Might be out there but I have never seen one. Hell my ranger plugs got teeth marks in them. IMO I came to the conclusion it is too much work using the propionate. Notice IMO, which is not worth a lot. Others may feel different and that is A OK too.

I avoid fishing for bluefish, except with metal as you know.

saltydog
01-15-2009, 07:49 PM
val-oil Ive been getting it $10.00 qt $30.00 gal I believe, it's SIMPLE (like me) I like it.:smash:
GOOD LUCK GOOD PLUGGIN

Ken_J
01-15-2009, 09:11 PM
I use propionate for protoypes. Can go in the water in a couple of hours.

I use etex for sealing. imo, epoxy is superior sealer because you get durability + sealing. I personally thin a bit with D. Alcohol then poor on and in to plug for 100% simple and easy coverage.

==

Regarding Propionate, if you want crazy penetration and durability, put plug in jar, close jar and leave over night (jar of prop. I use 1/2 gallon mason jar). The next day, take plug out and you can wipe off excess if you have very thick solution. In a few hours you get the acetone evaperaoted and you are left with a hard penetrated covering. You do NOT get this doing these quick dips that most people are doing.

I still prefer etex though for sealing, even with a organic respirator, I prefer to not be around acetone fumes if I can help it.

==

Some of these old school methods, that are pretty common, I shy away from them because they do not add to durablity. That is just my opinion though.
- blo/ms, valoil etc.

good luck guys

:happy: