View Full Version : North bar plugs.

Rob Rockcrawler
01-13-2009, 08:47 PM
I was hoping someone could tell me the action of the north bar bottle darters? Is it a cross between a bottle and a darter. Looks like a good heavy water lure. Im just thinkin back at a couple scenarios on block this past season when the surf was really heavy and the only plug that caught was a gibbs bottle. Any info on that hunk of wood would be appreciated.

numbskull
01-13-2009, 08:58 PM
My experience is limited to the ones I built, but they are a VERY close copy of the North Bars. They run deeper than most bottles, they are more of a swimmer than a darter, they weigh less than big bottles which limits distance some. I liked them in slow moving water, though they probably would do well in very rough conditions because you can can get them quite deep. What they excel at is covering depth. You can drive them down, then slow them a bit and they'll gradually work their way back to the top. Fish seem to like that. They are a smaller profile than the big bottles (if you are a match the hatch believer).

Sea Dangles
01-13-2009, 11:12 PM
Do you always use a VS when eel fishing?

Rob Rockcrawler
01-14-2009, 04:10 AM
Thanks numbskull.

Canalman
01-14-2009, 02:38 PM
Never used a Northbar, But I have 2 Mac's that I still use, they have done well for me in the canal in the hour-and-a-half before slack low, working them against the tide very slowly. The action is, as George said, more like a swimmer, but they do zig and zag a bit which I like a lot--just looks more natural.

-dave

Vogt
01-14-2009, 04:14 PM
numbskull, I love that picture. I think youve posted it before. Everytime I see it it makes me want to run out and get a decent camera of my own.

Spiderman
01-14-2009, 05:38 PM
I've used them for many years. I like to use them in a strong current or rip. They tend to run deeper than most bottle plugs and darters.
The action is a combination of a darter and bottle plugs but less pronounced. They cast well for the size and weight. Had nights when it outproduced everything in my bag. It's been my secret weapon for the last few years. I wish he would make one in slightly smaller size.