View Full Version : Excellent Presentation by Steve McKenna

Crafty Angler
01-16-2009, 09:07 AM
Boy, if you guys didn't catch Steve's presentation on Rigged Eels last night at the Newport County Saltwater Fishing Club meeting, you really missed it.

Excellent job by Steve on both the show and demo afterwards. Seeing him rig first-hand during the demo was great. Whether you're a noob or a grizzled old veteran - or just grizzled, like me - it was a night well-spent. I don't think there was one aspect he didn't cover in depth, from rigging to fishing 'em.

I know it's a killer method but I always took the lazy man's way out using an eel-squid or lately a Pt Jude Wobblehead - which is another extremely effective way to fish dead eels if you don't have the time to rig. Now I'll have another weapon in my bag.

I think the happiest guy in the place was the 12 year old son of one of our members who took detailed notes throughout the whole talk - and then Steve gave him the riggie he just finished after the demo. The little guy asked Steve to sign the Zip-loc for him, too...:hihi: That was pretty cool - that young man will make a name for himself one day -

Thanks again, Steve - good job! :kewl:

bassballer
01-16-2009, 09:12 AM
Damn I wish I could have made it. That 0-4 on club meetings for me. Ill be there next time. Anytime you can talk fishing with Steve you come away learning something new.

luds
01-16-2009, 09:30 AM
Anyone have a video? :confused:

OnTheLedge
01-16-2009, 11:01 AM
I agree, Crafty, Steve gave a great seminar. I didn't see anyone recording it......and the only person with the sense to take notes was a 10 year old kid! :bo:

DZ
01-16-2009, 02:41 PM
Steve did a wonderful job right down to giving credit to those who taught him about rigging eels. You don’t see that enough in this day and age. Info like that is what I consider "Intellectual Property".

When he left last night we made an agreement that we would only pass out one hint of his secret method to rigging eels and here it is: “Menthol dental floss”.

All kidding aside - If you were lucky enough to be there last night I hope you apply what you learned. Rigging eels isn’t for everyone – but many rewards will come to those who take the time to learn it.

Rocco34520
01-16-2009, 05:08 PM
Sounds like everyone had a great time! I will def. be at his seminars at the edge. Great guy.

big jay
01-16-2009, 05:39 PM
Great talk Steve, I really learned alot.

But can I troll them on wire? :)

JohnR
01-16-2009, 06:01 PM
Great talk Steve, I really learned alot.

But can I troll them on wire? :)

You're THAT Big Jay - I get it now :lama:

Yes, great speak buy Stevie. What impressed me the most is how he kept passing along the tips to the young lad taking all those notes. Great work kid :btu:

Joe
01-16-2009, 06:47 PM
That McKenna...:hs: Scary good...I was always struck by how when you meet a really good fisherman, it's immediately evident.

JohnnyD
01-17-2009, 02:29 AM
Man, I really wish I could have gotten down there for this. I just really started fishing eels at the end of the season in the canal and I really like it. But don't know what to do with those dead ones aside from popping them on a wobblehead.

steve
01-17-2009, 07:57 AM
Thanks everyone. WOW!!!! I am certainly humbled! I'm glad that you folks appreciated it. To BIg Jay, I don't think rigged eels would work out to well on wire. They are more of a casting deal. Try flipping one in to a boulder field along our coastline. That's were they really shine.