View Full Version : Plumbers Epoxy

Tagger
01-17-2009, 01:19 PM
Stuff sticks to your fingers good ,, Now I have to walk around with boogy fingers for 3 days ,, I'm filling belly hanger holes .. PIA .. Plumbers Epoxy works great ,just suky working with it ... Whats others using ?

adson
01-17-2009, 04:46 PM
have you tried cleaning it off with vinegar ?
that works with most epoxy

I like filling holes with bondo because it sands easier

Diggin Jiggin
01-17-2009, 05:18 PM
Eddie your a day ahead of me... I haven't found anything better that dries as fast&hard and doesn't have an overpowering smell. I've seen some smaller tubes of what looks to be a marine version but its more $.

I was swimming some today that have hangers and I had to do some tweaking with the weights 2 different times to get them right. I think part of my issue was the additional weight of the putty.

ProfessorM
01-17-2009, 05:26 PM
I am still using the stuff Mac turned me on to . Loctite 50 min epoxy. nice and thin and hard as a rock. Grey color. I started with it so i guess I am keeping it, but what do I know.

Bay Stalker
01-17-2009, 06:21 PM
I was using Elmer's Carpenters Professional wood filler after the weights were epoxied in. I found that is was a little porous and took alot to cover correctly when priming.

I am now using PSI QuikWood sands great covers great with primer and is hard in 1hr.

Tagger
01-17-2009, 08:06 PM
I am still using the stuff Mac turned me on to . Loctite 50 min epoxy. nice and thin and hard as a rock. Grey color. I started with it so i guess I am keeping it, but what do I know.

yep .. The blue pack,,marine .. I use that to hold the weights in .. would go thru an awful lot of that filling hangers holes .. thanks .. I'll try cleaners

scottw
01-17-2009, 08:39 PM
Aquamend from Home Depot in the adhesive section is great, I use it on a daily basis, wet it a little with water when you knead it together and it will help maintain a consistency that you can work with easily and smooth it with a spatula or finger dipped with alcohol...that will minimize the sanding necessary if any

Tagger
01-17-2009, 08:45 PM
PC Marine from Home Depot in the adhesive section is great, I use it on a daily basis, wet it a little with water when you knead it together and it will help maintain a consistency that you can work with easily and smooth it with a spatula or finger dipped with alcohol...that will minimize the sanding necessary if any

is that the same as the plumbers ... grey with black center playdough type stuff in clear plastic tube with red cap ends ?

scottw
01-17-2009, 08:49 PM
I just made a correction, it's Aquamend, I think they changed the name but yes, it's similar to the plumbers putty, not nearly as messy, I have both products, this is green on the outside and white inside, dries cures nearly white but it's for marine applications, it's available at other hardware stores under different names but HD's had the best price...

Tagger
01-17-2009, 08:52 PM
I just made a correction, it's Aquamend, I think they changed the name but yes, it's similar to the plumbers putty, not nearly as messy, I have both products, this is green on the outside and white inside, dries cures nearly white but it's for marine applications, it's available at other hardware stores under different names but HD's had the best price...

Thanks ... I'll check it out tomorrow ..

ProfessorM
01-17-2009, 09:06 PM
For filling in hangers and building out bodies and such have you tried System 3 Sculpwood? I don't do that type of stuff, but I know some that use it.

gone fishin
01-17-2009, 11:25 PM
I use a piece of dowel, coated liberally with 5 min epoxy. Seals fine and doesn't seem to change the balance.

scottw
01-18-2009, 06:45 AM
For filling in hangers and building out bodies and such have you tried System 3 Sculpwood? I don't do that type of stuff, but I know some that use it.

haven't yet, but I have the S3 "the Epoxy Book" in my hand right now, I'll have to check it out...just reading the desc. it sounds similar to the "wood" version of Aquamend at HDepot that I use if I've cleaned HD out of all of the Aquamend..it's a lighter product...better for topwater plugs as it floats, the Aquamend sinks....these two part fillers are packaged and sold under so many names for various applications, some are better than others and the prices can really vary...

Backbeach Jake
01-18-2009, 07:41 AM
I use the minwax wood filler. works just like and smells just like bondo. comes in a smaller can , I like that 'cos I don't waste most of a gallon when it dries up. Use the belt/disc sander to get epoxy and filler of your fingahs...:shocked:

Dr.fish
01-18-2009, 09:19 AM
Nitrile gloves...don't leave home without them...feel like a surgeon when filling the holes:) peel off and throw away!

LaPala
01-19-2009, 01:35 PM
Not sure what brand you are using but most plumbers epoxy cures wet. Wait a while for it to set a bit then shape, smooth it out using finger and water, don't even need sanding. Washes away easily.

VTBasser
01-19-2009, 11:37 PM
I use that Oatey epoxy putty (plastic tube with the red caps - playdoe like) and just wear a rubber glove to keep it off my fingers.