View Full Version : Striper cakes

tlapinski
12-22-2002, 04:00 PM
i was looking through some "Fisherman" back issues, and i came across a good striper recipe. i modified it a little, and here is what i came up with.

2#'s striper fillets
3 rounded tbsp mayonaise
1.5 rounded tbsp dijon mustard
3 eggs
1 cup seasoned breadcrumbs
1 box cheese nips
1 small onion
1 pepper
6-9 mushrooms
11oz can corn
olive oil
old bay seasoning
red pepper flakes

-puree the onions, peppers, corn, and mushrooms in a food processor
-sautee this mixture in a hot pan with olive oil
-while the vegetable mixture is cooking, cut the striper into small 4" cubes and poach for about 10 minutes
-in a large bowl, combine the eggs, mayonaise, mustard, and seasonings
-when the vegetables are tender, add to the egg mixture and mix well
-add the cooked striper, and break up the fillets as you mix it all together
- sprinkle the breadcrumbs into the mixture
-take handfulls of the cheesenips and crush them in your hands over the mixture and fold the mixture. keep adding the crushed cheese nips until the mixture reaches a consistancy that allows you to form it into small balls
-form the mixture into golf ball size balls
-heat the olive oil in a saute pan and place the balls into it, flattening them into discs
-saute each side until browned

the cakes can be eaten as a meal, or in a sandwich. well, i'm off to dinner......:drool:

Goose
12-22-2002, 05:49 PM
Funny you posted that, I've been meaning to make some of those babies.

nor-easter
12-22-2002, 05:58 PM
Way back when I was growing up we would have fish sometimes three or four times a week. Anything left over, and if not, mom would cook some special, to make Fish Cakes to go with the beans on Saturday night.

This tradition continues to this day, when in season, the Bass end up this way. Of season, after the freezer supply is gone we use what ever we might have, Cod, Flounder, etc.
Good chomping!

tlapinski
10-20-2003, 02:34 PM
i just wanted to bring this one back up, as i have a few fillets after the weekend. :)

Jenn
10-20-2003, 05:36 PM
ok what time will they be ready???? yummmmmy;)

tlapinski
10-20-2003, 05:48 PM
i just finished. :cheers:

fishweewee
10-20-2003, 06:19 PM
:drool:

blackeye
10-20-2003, 06:32 PM
weewee-empty your pm box

fishweewee
10-20-2003, 06:54 PM
10-4

Bass Nut
10-21-2003, 12:57 PM
Last time I had a couple of the striped ones, after getting several good sized steaks.
Boiled up the carcasses and made some stock, which turned into two gallons of striper chowder, plus I brined and smoked a half filet of the bass and about 5 pounds of bluefish.

The chowder, kicked a$$! Got a ton of meat out the bones.

Havent tried the cakes yet maybe I'll defrost whats left and make up some patties.

How do you eat it? What way do you like best?

Goose
10-21-2003, 03:30 PM
Originally posted by fishweewee
10-4

I don't know but I think he turned more then 10 plugs:hee:

Nebe
09-26-2004, 06:59 PM
yummy!!!!

:drool:

tlapinski
11-04-2004, 05:53 PM
making cakes for the weekend.... :drool:

piemma
11-05-2004, 08:33 AM
Toby. Bring some to Quonny

spence
11-05-2004, 08:44 AM
Better put them on ice, they spoil quickly :laughs: :laughs: :laughs: :smash:

-spence

Christian
05-25-2005, 03:47 PM
bump.

i just did these with cod the other day. so awsome. used cheeze itz instead too. keeping it classy.

i suggest trying this.

Fish On
05-25-2005, 04:57 PM
Just copied this and added it to my recipe file......these look awesome!

Anyone have any other creative recipe's out there? I would love a recipe for Striper Oscar if anyone has one. I've had grouper Oscar and I think it's great, but I think it might even be better with the flavor and texture of striper.

Nebe
05-25-2005, 05:06 PM
Just copied this and added it to my recipe file......these look awesome!

Anyone have any other creative recipe's out there? I would love a recipe for Striper Oscar if anyone has one. I've had grouper Oscar and I think it's great, but I think it might even be better with the flavor and texture of striper.

how about Oscar oscar??? :hihi:

Christian
05-25-2005, 05:14 PM
fried goldfish appetizer

5/0
05-25-2005, 05:46 PM
Hi Toby that sound's like a good recipe I'll add it to the book.
I made some for the TCTFFN this past winter.

I used 5#'s of Fillets
10#'s of potatoes
3 lemons
1 onion
1/2 bunch of fresh parsly
3/4 Cup. of 4C bread crumbs
3 Eggs
Crushed Black pepper
1/4 cup of diced garlic
2Tbs. of Sea Salt

Boil fillets take them out when fork tender,leave water for peeled & cubed potatoes then boil potatoes.While potatoes are cooking mash up fillets into "tuna fish consistancy" then stir in 2 Tbs.Sea salt,1/4 cup of diced garlic,crushed black pepper,1 onion diced, 2 squeezed lemons & slowly mix in half of the bread crumbs.
Sepperate the 3 egg's yolks from white's don't toss either,then dice parsley.
Mix eeg yolks in with the fish.
Now mash up potatoe untill smooth then mix with fish blend together by folding or using potatoe masher.Then slowly add rest of bread crumbs.
Take egg white's & whip untill it's foamy add to batter then add parsley.

Batter shoud have a solid consistancy to it by now,now you use 2 large surving spoons,scoop out batter with one spoon then pat with the other untill it look's like a "cheese stick" place on a plate and do the rest of them.

5 hour's later After fire up the deep frier toss-em in when they float to the top scoop them out put them on a try with paper towles on it then squeeze lemon juice over them.
Eat hot,warm or even cold.

5/0

tlapinski
10-20-2009, 07:50 AM
With a freezer full of freshly vacuum sealed striper fillets, I had to bring this oldie back up. :drool::drool:

RIJIMMY
10-20-2009, 08:02 AM
I been meaning to try this - one thing, the recipe doesnt say HOW to cook the striper fillets?

Finaddict
10-20-2009, 08:49 AM
This is the recipe that I added to the magazine - I got it from a fisherman in NJ - Any way, you steam the fillets, works like a charm. When I have not had striper fillets to use, I have used Mahi, worked great too. Any mild fish works great and this is absolutely one of my favorite striper recipes - Toby thanks for bringing it up again. I think I will shoot for some this weekend as well.

keeperreaper
10-20-2009, 09:33 AM
Clcharette makes a wicked striper meal. Hopefully he will post.

tlapinski
10-20-2009, 12:07 PM
I been meaning to try this - one thing, the recipe doesnt say HOW to cook the striper fillets?

-while the vegetable mixture is cooking, cut the striper into small 4" cubes and poach for about 10 minutes

Finaddict
10-20-2009, 01:10 PM

The original recipe calls for steaming the fish, as that will keep the fish flaky and not soggy ...

jkjnp
04-04-2010, 06:45 PM
Made these tonight with some haddock I caught on Friday on the Yankee fleet. Sooo good.

CaptMike
04-05-2010, 09:20 AM
Fish cakes are so classic new england, gotta love it! I usually just use the classic chesapeake crab cake recipe to make fish cakes. Very similar to yours but contains worcestershire sauce.

Sea Flat
04-05-2010, 11:24 AM
A lot of households have "The Joy of Cooking" There is a crab cake recipe in there that works well if you simply substitute striped bass for the crab.

This is the only way that my wife will eat fish that I bring home, I even do it with bluefish. Once you have done it a few times you can add some diced up veggies, sausage etc.. to add flavor and variety.

reelecstasy
04-05-2010, 07:35 PM
Emeril's Crab cake recipe and just substitute in some fish....I have made them out on the Vineyard for the boys..... num num num

Notfishinenuf
04-05-2010, 11:00 PM
Here is a good one,

2-3# striper fillets
2 8 oz cans chopped tomatoes
5-6 cloves fresh chopped garlic
1/2 t crushed red pepper
1 T capers
1T fresh chopped parsley(Italian flat leaf)
1T fresh chopped basil
1/2 T fresh oregano
extra virgin olive oil
1/2 - 1 cup white wine

Over low heat cook the garlic in olive oil till it is just starting to brown. Add everything else except the fillets. Bring to a boil and then turn down low and simmer for about twenty minutes. Rub down the fillets with olive oil and lay them in a roasting pan. Season them with a little sea salt and white pepper. Cover with the sauce and bake in a 350 degree oven till the fish is done. This is great served over some angel hair pasta. All the ingredients can be altered to taste and if you do not want to use wine substitute clam juice, enjoy.

Vic

iamskippy
01-05-2014, 09:09 AM
Bump for tastyness
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

FishermanTim
01-06-2014, 02:33 PM
Can you substitute ANY fish or does it have to be a specific type?

I was thinking that it could be adapted for freshwater fish like perch, crappie or even sunfish.

Just thinking outside the box!

zimmy
01-06-2014, 03:58 PM
Can you substitute ANY fish or does it have to be a specific type?

I was thinking that it could be adapted for freshwater fish like perch, crappie or even sunfish.

Just thinking outside the box!

The only reason they use all those ingredients is to cover up the mediocre flavor of striped-bass :uhuh: Fish cakes can definitely be made out of just about any edible fish, but pan fish are so good fried that I personally wouldn't. They would certainly be good, though.

spence
01-06-2014, 06:26 PM
This is how I make them, recipe from Chez Panisse. Everything as freaking fresh as possible...

1-1/2 lbs mix of striper (cut up small) and fresh crab.
Homemade mayo (1 egg plus ~ 1/4+ cup good oil)
1/2 cup thinly sliced green onion
1 tbsp lemon juice
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp cayenne
1-1/4 cup fresh sourdough bread crumbs
4 tbsp clarified butter

Mix the fish and mayo then season with the other stuff. Coat in the breadcrumbs and fry in the butter.

Do it right and it's a killer.

-spence