View Full Version : Anderson Window just cracked

Swimmer
01-19-2009, 09:44 PM
Sitting at the computor when I hear this weird noise. Sounded almost like glass cracking and it was. Next to my bed upstairs there is a single mullion window. The outside glass of the double pane just cracked from one side of the window to the other. I hope they still make the same size.

Nebe
01-19-2009, 10:06 PM
it lost its temper. :jester:

Fishpart
01-20-2009, 08:06 AM
Andersen has all the replacement parts you need. Last summer I replaced all the sashes and several other parts to windows that were built in the early 70's. Glass was a considerable upgrade in terms of spacing between panes and they don't "feel" as cold..

Swimmer
01-20-2009, 09:41 AM
Probably about 15 years old, maybe 17. It is on a gable end. Talked to a guy this morning and said ice damn until I told him it was on the end of the house. For a short time I considered the little bastids down the street, because they like to hit golf balls with baseball bats, but that is not the case. It just cracked I think. So Fishpart I should be able to order one half of the mullion or are you saying just the glass. The nice thing about ANDERSON IS WHEN i GET THE REPLACMENT WINDOWS AND STAIN IT i CAN JUST POP IT IN. Sorry about the caps.

nightfighter
01-20-2009, 09:55 AM
Frank,
Look in the lower corner of the glass for small white writing. That is the code you will need to order, and it will also be the basis for any possible warranty. Try putting a black background behind the glass to assist you in reading it. Otherwise get a good measurement of the glass area to order the whole sash. Then get a Brosco book from local lumber yard or box store to verify your window. Get a price with the yard and then check Andersen's website and call them in Minn. (I think) and get a price for them to drop ship to you via UPS. Don't be shy asking for warranty.

mikecc
01-20-2009, 09:58 AM
Frank,
Look in the lower corner of the glass for small white writing. That is the code you will need to order, and it will also be the basis for any possible warranty. Try putting a black background behind the glass to assist you in reading it. Otherwise get a good measurement of the glass area to order the whole sash. Then get a Brosco book from local lumber yard or box store to verify your window. Get a price with the yard and then check Andersen's website and call them in Minn. (I think) and get a price for them to drop ship to you via UPS. Don't be shy asking for warranty.
What he sait about the code +
I had 1 go they shipped it free of charge to the local lumber yard I just had to pick it up there.

Fishpart
01-20-2009, 10:29 AM
Not a simple as changing your socks, but easy if you follow the instructions on the website.

Raven
01-20-2009, 01:14 PM
huge swing in temps.....expansion | contraction headaches....

MAC
01-20-2009, 04:53 PM
Probably about 15 years old, maybe 17. It is on a gable end. Talked to a guy this morning and said ice damn until I told him it was on the end of the house. For a short time I considered the little bastids down the street, because they like to hit golf balls with baseball bats, but that is not the case. It just cracked I think. So Fishpart I should be able to order one half of the mullion or are you saying just the glass. The nice thing about ANDERSON IS WHEN i GET THE REPLACMENT WINDOWS AND STAIN IT i CAN JUST POP IT IN. Sorry about the caps.

Now is that any way to talk about your neighbors kids:D

Crafty Angler
01-21-2009, 10:05 AM

Absolutely. :kewl:

Raven
01-21-2009, 10:24 AM
he must have seen his reflection

Raider Ronnie
01-21-2009, 06:30 PM
Last year my son Matty was throwing a football in my house broke a window.
All the windows in my house are Pella (new construction)about 7 yeaqrs old, double hung, double pane sashes.
The inner glass broke a perfect shape of a football but not the outer.
I called Pella but we couldn't come up with the code.
Brought the sash to our glass guy we use where I work, he couldn't do anything to repair it.
Called back Pella and they had to sent out a guy to measure or they wouldn't order it.
Close to $400 and about 6 weeks later I got a new sash, stain and urethane not included to match house interior trim.:fishslap:

nightfighter
01-21-2009, 07:42 PM
Pella sucks.

surfcrazy1
01-25-2009, 08:56 PM
had two casements implode last yr replaced no questions asked received sashes right to my door in 10 days
as long as ur on file with the serial # their great plus they send the new thermal panes
good luck
paul

Swimmer
01-25-2009, 09:18 PM
Frank,

Thanks Ross I am off tomorrow, and I am going to look for the code.

Swimmer
01-25-2009, 09:29 PM

Actually Mac I have been pretty lucky with the kids in the "hood". I have one that rides a dirt bike around the street. I put up with it for awhile and then I give him the look. The kid is pretty smart. He sees me looking at him, he has always put it away after that. It is his older brother and his friend that like to pound the golf balls. Heard them bouncing off my house but couldn't figure out what was going on. Never found anything outside during the day. The balls ended up getting covered over or buried under something. I found about eight of them all in one day. My neighbor filled me in on what he and the wife new. So when his dad came home he just happened to have the same kid in the truck. I walked over anded handed the gold balls too his dad. I told him that he might want to check his stash of used balls. I told him how I thought they ended up in my yard and I said I didn't think it would happened again and it hasn't.

MAC
01-26-2009, 08:32 PM
Actually Mac I have been pretty lucky with the kids in the "hood". I have one that rides a dirt bike around the street. I put up with it for awhile and then I give him the look. The kid is pretty smart. He sees me looking at him, he has always put it away after that. It is his older brother and his friend that like to pound the golf balls. Heard them bouncing off my house but couldn't figure out what was going on. Never found anything outside during the day. The balls ended up getting covered over or buried under something. I found about eight of them all in one day. My neighbor filled me in on what he and the wife new. So when his dad came home he just happened to have the same kid in the truck. I walked over anded handed the gold balls too his dad. I told him that he might want to check his stash of used balls. I told him how I thought they ended up in my yard and I said I didn't think it would happened again and it hasn't.

I'd be pissed too if kids were doing that in my neighborhood. I was just busting stones.:tooth: