View Full Version : A couple I'm working on

the greek
01-24-2009, 02:15 PM
Been working on a few large handcarved swimmers. These are 9" long and 1 3/4" wide at the widest part. White cedar, through wired, and epoxy sealed. Hope to be able to get some paint on these today. I'm pushing it and should probably give it one more sanding and another coat of primer but I want to paint one.

And my plug for the challenge contest. I decided to foil this to hopefully get the effect I'm after. It is foiled with aluminum tape and then burnished smooth. I will give it a coat of epoxy now to take care of the seam, then paint and epoxy again.

Moses
01-24-2009, 02:35 PM
Very nice work, takes some special talent & patience for hand carved.

numbskull
01-24-2009, 03:08 PM
Looks like the "Mother of All Nilsmasters". Are you familiar with those plugs?

Mr. Krinkle
01-24-2009, 05:37 PM

Nilsmasters are awesome plugs in strong currents!

ProfessorM
01-24-2009, 05:40 PM
I'm looking forward to getting that sucker. Very sweet. I have a crystal clear sand flat already picked out for that.

the greek
01-25-2009, 09:28 AM
[QUOTE=numbskull;658135]Looks like the "Mother of All Nilsmasters". Are you familiar with those plugs?[/QUOTE

The Nilsmaster are great plugs that have been forgotten in the crowd I fish with. We used them alot in the smaller sizes for Weakfish and they worked very well. Most folks won't throw them now and collect them as they have become scarce around here. I have tried without much success to play around with that shape. Hard to through wire. Might have to give it another shot.

Crafty Angler
01-25-2009, 09:44 AM
The Nilsmaster are great plugs that have been forgotten in the crowd I fish with. We used them alot in the smaller sizes for Weakfish and they worked very well. Most folks won't throw them now and collect them as they have become scarce around here.

:uhuh:

Just sold one in the Classifieds a while back that I modified the lip on - I was thinning out the herd - there's still a few places you can find them, didn't realize they're out of production - or are they - :huh:

Nice handcarve, knew that shape right away...:kewl:

WoodyCT
01-26-2009, 12:48 PM
Your method using the belt sander strips is great!

After having sawed, planed, filed and sanded several handcarves I finally got around to trying your method. SALVATION !:kewl:

Thanks for being so willing to share,

Jon

WoodyCT
01-26-2009, 12:49 PM

They sure do George!

I've found a good supply of them if you are looking. Even some big ones (7").

Jon

Lower
01-26-2009, 12:53 PM
Those are awesome!

Tagger
01-26-2009, 04:39 PM
looks good ,, just bought some chrome paint .