View Full Version : frozen ballyhoo

niko
01-27-2009, 11:08 AM
this was the first year i've used it. it worked pissah. where can i get small one ones like 7/8 inches. my local place only has giant ones and they are like 15 buck for a 2 pack. and lets here some ideas on rigging them. i've only used my buddy's pretied rigs. i've got no clue how to tie up a rig for them. there was a wire and we'd put it in the nose and use a rubber band to secure it. there was also an egg sinker we putin the hoos head. simple rig overall but worked well. this forum was long overdue. thanks guys

big jay
01-27-2009, 01:07 PM
Niko- if you get "selects" they are a good size and you get about 10 per pack for the same price as the horses.
I'm down in ct alot for my real job, so I stop in at J&B and throw them in a cooler till I get home. Fishermans Outfitter probably has them up here.

The SWE guys are starting to do more offshore stuff, we were talking about putting a quick video together for their site on basic ballyhoo rigging. They're really easy to put together.

MakoMike
01-27-2009, 05:28 PM
Rigging is a subject that could take days. I would suggest you attend the canyon runner seminar at Mohegan sun when it comes aroundin April, they usually do a breakout session on rigging hoo. You can buy hoo from baitmasters and have it shipped right to your door, or you can but it locally. I think J&B East in East Matunuck carries it.

keeperreaper
01-27-2009, 06:25 PM
I buy all my 'hoo from Baitmasters. They are the best in terms of quality. They are "greenies" which means they poop green which are the best. Red poop not so good quality wise. It is what they were feeding on. Check the eyes to make sure they are clear. If they are cloudy they weren't taken care of when caught or were frozen thawed and then refrozen which will make the meat mooshy.

To care for them thaw them out in Salt water and add in the 5 gallon bucket a handful of KOSHER salt and baking soda. The salt will toughen them up real nice and the baking soda draws out a really nice silvery color.

I prefer the pin hook method with a horse hair tie to hold them on. The rig can be rigged in 20 seconds and will swim as if it is alive.
You can put an islander in front or chin weight it. Whatever fits your taste.

fish4striper
01-28-2009, 08:39 AM
Paul,

I've seen Matt do the tie and he is very fast with it. This is the rig we used with a witch in front. It seemed the simplest to run for me since I never tied and couldnt remember how Matt did it :smash:

http://www.offshorecustomtackle.com/rig-ballyhoo-in-under-30-sec.php

niko
01-28-2009, 08:57 AM
thanks jeff, that helps