View Full Version : Wire size and tool?

changeling
12-26-2002, 06:47 PM
I searched the archives and came up with a recomendation of 316L SST wire at 1/16 inch diameter.
When you put an eye on one end and then insert the wire through the plug, how do you form the eye on the other end? Do you just twist it untill it forms an eye and is snug against the end or what? Is there a special tool I should use? Do you glue the wire in ?
If I sound stupid/uninformed, you are right! I just want to get these things right before I make a big order. I plan on the first 10 plugs I make to be done by hand. If I am successful in creating a good plug I want to go a "lot" deeper into the art.
I think I am in the right place, just please have patience with me !
Thanks guys, Changeling

Slipknot
12-26-2002, 08:32 PM
Right changling, you just form a loop and wrap the excess around it snug and when done snip off the extra.

Jigman
12-26-2002, 09:34 PM
A pair of round nosed pliers is useful for doing the loop. Make a 45 degree bend in the wire at the tail. Set the wire so that one part of the pliers is touching the wire that comes out of the tail of the plug, the other over top of the 45 degree bend. Now take the wire and wrap it over the pliers to form a loop. I then grab the tag end of the wire with a pair of needle nose vice grips and wrap the wire around itself back to the tail of the plug making it snug. Hope that makes sense.

Jigman