View Full Version : Sealer question

brianenos80
02-01-2009, 02:06 AM
I used the search feature and really couldnt find much on this subject. How long do you dip the plug in SPAR to seal a plug, and the drying time?:huh:

stripercrazy
02-01-2009, 07:43 AM
I use val oil and mineral sprits...50/50 mix...ceder I soak for 30 mins and hard woods like 4 hrs....some people use a 60/40 mix of boiled linseed oil and mineral sprits and dip for 5 mins and dry a week-10 days(be careful with fire useing this mix...the rags can catch on fire if there left in a place where they can't gas off some people use a can with water to put the rages in(outside)...I don't use this in my house) you can still get the val oil in mass if you look around...its safer....waterlox sells a marine sealer that works too its more money:D

ProfessorM
02-01-2009, 12:23 PM
I can't believe you can't find tons of info on search. It has been talked about extensively. Any who I soak ayc and all cedars, pine, for 3 hours , maple for 10. Thats me, everyone is different and you will get many different answers. I let dry several days as I am in no hurry. With any of this stuff you have to find what you prefer and stick to it. Nothing is gained by jumping all over the place except aggravation. All the sealers mentioned will pretty much work IMO. Just find one you like, there are many.

brianenos80
02-01-2009, 02:42 PM
I did find alot of different info on the sealing side of things I was really interested in trying the Spar or Val- oil. There are so many different ways I guess I need to just stop asking questions and just give it a shot a find out what I like. Thank you for the info I really appreciate it.

Dad 818
02-01-2009, 02:44 PM
Try this link:

http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/search.php?searchid=762727&photoplog_searchinfo=1&photoplog_searchquery=sealing+times

brianenos80
02-01-2009, 06:10 PM
That link showed no matches, but thanks anyway.

pbadad
02-02-2009, 07:10 PM
I use Helmsman spar varnish 60% & pure turps 40%. I've been soaking birch < 1 hr. I did a few yesterday which I soaked for 4 hours. They all gain 4-6 grams of wieght. This morning after they dried they netted 2-3 grams. I will weigh them the evening to see if they loss any weight w/ 12 more hours of drying. Cedars , AYC or white I see no need to soak any more than 30 minutes. Figuring that the properties of cedars are a natural water resistance wood. I had splitting problems around the hook holes with BLO and hard wood dowels. It might of been the type of wood the dowels were made of. I find the varnish /turps easier and safer.

PNG
02-02-2009, 08:01 PM
I had splitting problems around the hook holes with BLO and hard wood dowels. It might of been the type of wood the dowels were made of.

The box stores used to sell good ole American birch dowels, now:huh: I think poplar which will split sealed and sealed again. To bad cause its easy to work with