View Full Version : Plug Spinner

Biteme
02-01-2009, 03:50 PM
I had this idea for a couple of years and finally got around to building it. It will hold as many as I can stand to epoxy. They are held with elastics "twisted" so they don't move, and the lid keeps the dust out. Works great.

numbskull
02-01-2009, 04:00 PM
UGH! I just spent a week and about 100 bucks (not counting the motor) building one that looks pathetic and much less efficent in comparison to yours. :crying:

PNG
02-01-2009, 04:04 PM
Nice, very nice. More plugs for you to share with us interlopers

Slipknot
02-01-2009, 06:14 PM
darn, now I'm gonna have to build me one

that thing looks as good as a $20,000.00 industrial moulder
:bl::claps:

ProfessorM
02-01-2009, 06:46 PM
nice jim. I'll pay you to epoxy mine

new jack
02-01-2009, 08:17 PM
nicely done,

Lower
02-01-2009, 09:02 PM
Impressive! Matches the rest of the cave. Looks like your getting around alright.

transitdynamics
02-01-2009, 11:05 PM
really nice. well designed!

NIB
02-02-2009, 08:27 AM
Awesome.
Do you have to keep the plugs evenly balanced to elmitate the flop.I have found if i go direct to the motor I have to balance the plugs on my round spinner.And it's only 17 inches in diameter.The gears in them slow motors have just enough play in them the wheel wants to flop if I don't balance the plugs..When they flop I end up with uneven spots in the finish.
Plus I think that by spinning em horizontally I got a better smoother finish.I notice yours are spinning in a vertical fashion.
Do you noitce any build up on the ends of the plugs..
Get your self some springs.Attach them to your hooks make some "S" hooks out of scrap wire.Leave one end open to attach the plugs to the spinner.This is a tricky procedure.You want to make it as simple as possible to eliminate the drops...

Biteme
02-02-2009, 09:02 AM
My first spinner had them horizontal and they would flop to the heavy side and it would leave a ridge. I had to tape the ends to eliminate any play. I normally etex after I'm done wireing them. I hold them with vice grips, etex them, turn off the spinner, place it on the rack, and start it back up. I do use s hooks from scraps of wire. I attach the s hook to the plug and use an elastic to attach it to the spinner. I twist the elastic to eliminate any slop. Comes out great everytime.

splinters
02-02-2009, 04:28 PM
wow that thing is awesome . god bless you if you can epoxy that many at a time . i usually only do 4-6. great job

johnny ducketts
02-02-2009, 08:04 PM
sweet lookin setup, I'll be over to spin mine, and when your not looking ho some of yours :)

humphrys
02-05-2009, 12:18 PM
Looks great! Question for you. I just got a motor off a kitchen set up to cook chickens. I think that the motor may turn a little fast. What's you opinion on the best range for rpms?

Slipknot
02-05-2009, 01:16 PM
My first spinner had them horizontal and they would flop to the heavy side and it would leave a ridge. I had to tape the ends to eliminate any play. I normally etex after I'm done wireing them. I hold them with vice grips, etex them, turn off the spinner, place it on the rack, and start it back up. I do use s hooks from scraps of wire. I attach the s hook to the plug and use an elastic to attach it to the spinner. I twist the elastic to eliminate any slop. Comes out great everytime.

all you had to do with your first spinner then is to sit the whole thing up on end so you'd end up where you are now :think: :huh: maybe?

Humphrys, I like 6rpm but 8 is fine too

mrstriper
02-05-2009, 05:36 PM
nice job as usual...will have to do some of mine next!!!!!

NIB
02-05-2009, 09:17 PM
I invented the spinner.

PNG
02-05-2009, 09:28 PM
I invented the spinner.

Rod building invented the spinner unless of course you are talking about inventing some weird perverted NY thing...

Pete F.
02-05-2009, 11:29 PM
Rod building invented the spinner unless of course you are talking about inventing some weird perverted NY thing...

That would be de Joisey ting

NIB
02-06-2009, 06:19 AM

I would love to delve into the NY thing.
Yes rod building did invent the spinner.
Over at the other place I was the first one to share a development of the plug spinner my friend had come up with.He was using epoxy before Lefty was.As far as I know lefty was the first lure builder to sell lures with a epoxy coat..I would say the first ones I can remember where called lazer lures and the came out around 93 or 94..I could be off on the time frame..I have CRS..
My friend made these lures for striper's and snook in Fla. I could not believe the finish.
I ran home and made one up as he described it to me.Took one of my first plugs I had repainted and put the finish on it..When it was done I snapped it off on my first cast.When the bail on my 704 closed..I remember I went right to the tackle shop and bought my first 706 from that..
Around 2002,
I shared my info with that guy Jenty "Capt screw eyes"..I did the best I could to describe it as I only figured out how to use a camera last week..

ProfessorM
02-06-2009, 01:29 PM
I ran home and made one up as he described it to me.Took one of my first plugs I had repainted and put the finish on it..When it was done I snapped it off on my first cast.

and never made another :hihi:,

sorry T I couldn't resist. I have a NIB plug:uhuh:

PNG
02-06-2009, 10:19 PM
I have a NIB plug:uhuh:

I have no nIbUlA plug

NIB
02-07-2009, 07:26 AM
I have no nIbUlA plug

And I don't have a PNG plug.I remember when you first started posting your stuff was awesome.You where doing some nice paint jobs.I can't remember what it was that made em special.Was it foil.?? I know you make some good pencils. I have noticed the results..

Biteme
02-07-2009, 07:49 AM
I don't have a PNG pencil or a NIB plug....... :huh:

numbskull
02-07-2009, 08:19 AM
I've got a plug spinner that broke last night and ruined 8 of 12 darters. Fcking NIB!

Tagger
02-07-2009, 08:19 AM
And I don't have a PNG plug.I remember when you first started posting your stuff was awesome.You where doing some nice paint jobs.I can't remember what it was that made em special.Was it foil.??

Point Jude Cutlass ,, multi off center turning .. PNG still building and testing local .. we cross paths .. kicked my butt fishing next to me throwing a "DogBone" ... I have NIB plug ...:uhuh:

Tagger
02-07-2009, 08:26 AM
He was using epoxy before Lefty was.As far as I know lefty was the first lure builder to sell lures with a epoxy coat..

I always wonded what epoxy Lefty was using . I thinking alot of yous Joisey boys are playing with the West system ..

Tagger
02-07-2009, 08:28 AM
I've got a plug spinner that broke last night and ruined 8 of 12 darters. Fcking NIB!

That really Sux George ... My condolences

ProfessorM
02-07-2009, 08:43 AM
Geeez George you aren't having much luck. Flap must have the voodoo doll out again. I'll still take one:wave:.
I am firing mine up today. Haven't used it since last year and I am using sys. 3 clear coat.:eek5: Say a prayer for me.

numbskull
02-07-2009, 10:39 AM
I'm a pro at fixing screw-ups. Besides, the first batch made it. I'll be OK. Just wish NIB had invented a better way to do things.

NIB
02-07-2009, 01:48 PM

I hope You have learned from NIB's mistakes..:wave:
As far as the last part goes..
In case you have not noticed there is a long line for that..

NIB
02-07-2009, 01:50 PM
I'm a pro at fixing screw-ups. Besides, the first batch made it. I'll be OK. Just wish NIB had invented a better way to do things.

Darter schmarter.I have plenty of those..
I need them skinny trolly pichney mussoey thingys..:kewl:
Buddy..:humpty::wave:

NIB
02-07-2009, 01:54 PM
I always wonded what epoxy Lefty was using . I thinking alot of yous Joisey boys are playing with the West system ..

Wrong..He used to use envirotex.
The he went to aristocrat or something which is like envirotex.
Not sure what he's doing these days.
I would not go out of my way to copy his finish..I have seen way better.Lefty's sell because of who he is..As much as the quality of the lure..

PNG
02-07-2009, 04:32 PM
And I don't have a PNG plug.I remember when you first started posting your stuff was awesome.You where doing some nice paint jobs.I can't remember what it was that made em special.Was it foil.?? I know you make some good pencils. I have noticed the results..

Nothing special.
Put down the airbrush for a couple years and have been using cans. Just did up some with the AB took a couple to remember... I like the aggravation. Still not happy with'm but Eddie's getting his even if it doesnt swim or look pretty.
I :love:pencils. Stoopid lure works great.

numbskull
02-07-2009, 04:55 PM
Darter schmarter.I have plenty of those..
I need them skinny trolly pichney mussoey thingys..:kewl:
Buddy..:humpty::wave:

That could happen......I got a bunch I sealed with compressor oil that I'm trying to salvage. The thing is so unstable, however, I'm not sure you can retrieve it slow enough with a big spinner.

NIB
02-08-2009, 08:50 AM
Nothing special.
Put down the airbrush for a couple years and have been using cans. Just did up some with the AB took a couple to remember... I like the aggravation. Still not happy with'm but Eddie's getting his even if it doesnt swim or look pretty.
I :love:pencils. Stoopid lure works great.

Ah your too humble..NIB remembers..
Stupid is as stupid does.
Like a box of chocolates..NIB does both well.

NIB
02-08-2009, 08:52 AM
That could happen..... The thing is so unstable, however, I'm not sure you can retrieve it slow enough with a big spinner.

I think I can manage.. I'll just pop it like a pencil..:uhuh:

Dad 818
02-08-2009, 09:21 AM
George, nice darters.

outnumbered
02-08-2009, 08:11 PM
Nice spinner, although it looks like you could put a few more hooks in there. Really nice job on the whole thing.