View Full Version : thread for tying jigs

dannyplug1
02-01-2009, 04:57 PM
What is the right type and size of thread for tying jigs? Is it rod building thread or is it large fly tying thread? thanks Charlie

FishermanLouis
07-01-2009, 06:22 AM
The best I've used is heavy fly tying thread that I usually purchase on-line from Barlow's Tackle Supply. It's cheaper than rod building thread and also cheaper than any I've been able to find from local fly shops.
This is not an endorsement per se, but they ship quickly and have almost everything you need to make jigs. They can be found on-line from one of the search engines (Google, etc.).

Swimmer
07-01-2009, 06:35 PM
Flat waxed nylon will lay flatter and give less build-up.

ditto dittto ditto

Jigman
07-03-2009, 10:42 AM
I use guberod rod building thread in size A. Works well.

Jigman

stripermaineiac
07-04-2009, 08:37 PM
Hi,I tie a lot of saltwater flies,jigs and tail hooks.One of the major drawbacks with jigs is that you use a lot of tread.I'vw found that a good trick is to fill the recess with just about any type of thread you can find before you start layin any bucktail,hackle or fish hair on the jig. this will cut down the amount of flat waxed nylon you use to about a quarter.just make sure that you use dome good superglue like duro or zap a gap to harden the base up.
hit a couple flea markets and I'm sure you'll find some of those large spools of it around. I'
ve also found that the thread that is used to embroider jackets works well tying jigs and only cost around 11 bucks a spool at most quilting shops. tight lines Ron

ThrowingTimber
07-07-2009, 02:13 PM
Im a big fan of gel spun thread. :cheers: