View Full Version : Converting a runabout into a center console

fishsmith
12-27-2002, 10:32 AM
I'm wondering about the possibilities of cutting out the runabout features of my 17ft Seaway, and making it center console.
Last year I took out the two front to back seats and picked up quite a bit of wasted space.
I did a search on this site and google for "restorations" and didn't come up with much, could anyone recommend a good book/video/site that deals with fiberglass boat convertions/restorations?

Thanks in advance.

JohnR
12-27-2002, 11:41 AM
Fishsmith - classicseacraft.com goes deep into restoring seacrafts and has tons of info on it. It's also run by one of our members Trayder and it's my second favorite site 9but you could say I'm biased :eek5: )

To switch from a runabout to a CC would be a major undertaking for several reasons. First, you would at least need to patch the deck where the windshield supports need to come out - probably not too big of a job as thatis carpet over plywood (which isnt the best for fishing). Possibly with structural issues as you are taking out big sections of reinforcment and will need to make sure it's as good or better. Second, you would need to fill the sides/cap with glass to replace areas gone from windshield frame. Next, you may need to improve the boat's drainage as all that water that would have stayed out of the boat from the windshield now stays in the boat. You need to buy a console, reroute all of the wiring, engine controls, plumbing . Also, your boats center of gravity and waterline will change as well as the balance that you are used to.

All that work to convert your boat, it would be much easier to pick up a good comparable project CC for short money and fix it uo by saving a LOT of time.

*** Warning, if you go to http://classicseacraft.com , you may be sell your soul for one :laughs: :D :kewl: ***

fishsmith
12-27-2002, 12:48 PM
Thanks for the reply John, sounds like more than I was assuming, but I'm heading over to the site you mentioned, be back later.

Clammer
12-27-2002, 03:05 PM
More work than you think // & worth ////////////////

Billybob
12-30-2002, 10:01 AM
Find a CC project that you like, and go with that.When restoring a boat you WILL underestimate the $ and time required.So, my biggest piece of advice is to start with something that you REALLY WANT ! Even if it means looking hard and long.I guarantee it will take you longer, and cost you more than you thought.The only way it makes any sense is if the end result is something you are really happy with, can't take your eyes off, want to be with. O.K., so maybe I need help, but you get the point.