View Full Version : Smelt Fishin'

STEVE IN MASS
12-27-2002, 02:28 PM
So, long range forecast for next week says highs around 50 for New Year's Eve day....which got me to thinking, while I would love to head south to GS's spot that day, I can't tie up the whole day.

Was thinking of trying some smelt fishing in Quincy or there abouts. Anyone game? Have never done it before, and thought it would be a good experience, but would need some help on tactics, etc.

Let me know if you are interested. Was thinking of going in the AM and being back in Foxboro by 1 PM or so.

Christian
12-27-2002, 05:48 PM
im cant go but ill give ya some tips.
go to foreriver for bait and get some grass shrimp. grass shrimp are the best i havent caught smelt on anything but them. get some trout size hooks or those long gold ones. add a sinker and your ready. head over to marina bay and go out on to the docks to the left of Fish Bone's restaurant or to the left of water works. try to get there before the sun gets too high because they seem to stop biting once the sun get really high. make sure your shrimp have heads by pulling them up and checking to see if theyr still there. also you might want to try a sabiki rig baited w/ the shrimp. its sort of hit or miss fishing , i think. one day youll get 2 or 3 next day billions and the next youll get skunk. you might catch a few tommy cod and theyr good eatin too.