View Full Version : in between bass pro and cabelas

basswrestler
02-04-2009, 09:28 AM
I live dead middle of bass pro and cableas, so which one is worth the drive. Looking for big spooks?

stiff tip
02-04-2009, 09:47 AM
cabelas is the best.... bass pro is smaller shop...

JohnR
02-04-2009, 09:47 AM
I live dead middle of bass pro and cableas, so which one is worth the drive. Looking for big spooks?

Not cabelas or not bass pro. Looking for big spooks than you will have a far better selection with local builders. Yes, they will be more for wood -v- plastic but in many cases they'll be better and more diverse plugs.

The Dad Fisherman
02-04-2009, 10:00 AM
Cabelas is More Fly Fishing...they also have some nice camping gear
BassPro is more Fresh Water Fishing.

yeah they both have a selection for Salt but that is not their specialty.

Seriously, if you want big spooks go to one of the local B&T's they carry all the Tattoo, Afterhours, and other assorted "Big Wood" from the Local builders.

BigFish
02-04-2009, 10:04 AM
Yup! Save your gas money to spend on plugs and stay local! M & D's, SWE, and many of the sponsors here on the site both plug builders and retail bait and tackle shops will have more to offer in the way of "Big Spooks" also plugs for salt than will Cabelas or Bass Pro! I had a $50.00 gift card to spend at BP and could not find anything I wanted???? Not much salt gear there! Not worth a long ride either......go to one of the big fishing shows coming up??? RISSA, MSBA, Worcester.....there are many and your gas money will be better spent!:btu:

fishbones
02-04-2009, 10:14 AM
Ditto what's already been posted. Cabela's and Basspro are good for outdoor gear and clothing and carry lot's of fresh water stuff, but the saltwater plug selection is very limited. They're both o.k. for terminal tackle, but that's about it. Go with the local shops mentioned above or check out some of the sponsor plug builder websites here. Keep in mind that you usually get what you pay for. Cheap plastic plugs with inferior components don't hold up well vs. big bass or blues.

Raven
02-04-2009, 10:46 AM
better to have it delivered....just pick from catalogs

or better yet get wooden plugs that last longer / cast further.

fish4striper
02-04-2009, 10:55 AM
They both suck for local saltwater stuff inshore and offshore. Support the local shops.

Rob Rockcrawler
02-04-2009, 04:32 PM
Go local. Better plugs, made for our area. And many times better prices. I had a 50.00 goft card there as well. Bought a couple tins, a shirt and candy, still had money left on the card when i left. I go to M&d's or SWE and its a rarity leaving without dropping at least 50.00.

gone fishin
02-04-2009, 04:59 PM
SPOOKS are sold by our sponsers right here on line -- Bigfish #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^& -- M&Ds and I probably missed many more than I posted. Not trying to piss any builders off. The plugs from the sponsers are tried and true. They will catch and are quality plugs.

Rocco34520
02-04-2009, 06:15 PM
Stay local and hit up the edge or M&D'S. Save the gas.

RickBomba
02-04-2009, 06:27 PM
Yup,
Neither one's gonna have the spooks that you seek.
BPS had some good clothing, etc.
Stay local, shop local.
Later,
Rick

Green Light
02-04-2009, 08:27 PM
Hi.

I have shopped both Cabellas and Bass Pro.
Goods shops. But, when it comes to purpose built tackle, our New England Bait and Tackle Shops (http://www.fish360.net/?p=32) are the best.

My $0.02.

Rockport24
02-04-2009, 10:02 PM
yeah totally agree with these dudes, stay with our top local BandT's for that stuff

that said, the Cabelas in Maine pales in comparison to the one in Hartford, I happen to be in the area a few weeks ago and went to the Cabelas in Hartford and the place blew me away, awesome taxidermy stuff and a awesome aquirium, takes the kids!

BassDawg
02-05-2009, 05:42 AM
BPS and Cabela's is more of an
amusement/theme park type of outdoors retailer.
proving that bigger is not always better. most definitely,
sweetwater oriented for BPS and Cabela's for the fly-guys.

really good camping stuff,
great mounts and aquarium,
decent food, cool furniture, and
okay on the clothes and firearms.

they DON'T have sheet for us for spooks, or
not anything that could even come close
to the fine craftsmanship and catchability of
our local builders. try asking them how to rig and eeeeel,
or what size hook to snell for chunks, or if they carry drytops??

<<insert the sounds of crickets>>

besides it's big CONGLOMERATE A-HOLES
like them who threaten the local B&T's.

save sum gas,,,,,,,,,,buy on-line w/S-B vendors,,,,,,,,,,,,,or go to
either MSBA or RISAA and you'll be blown away by the selection, customer service (from a knowledge of sport and spots alone), and you'll be supporting the VERY fabric of the Striper Coast; rather than contributing to it's demise, imho.
:uhuh: :uhuh: :uhuh: :uhuh:

maddmatt
02-05-2009, 12:41 PM

try hartford

ivanputski
02-05-2009, 04:11 PM
You'd be surprised how LITTLE saltwater tackle they(cabelas) have... Rod selection is poor, you can barely find a wooden plug... bass pro has way more, but honestly, hit up a local shop...

Joe
02-05-2009, 06:52 PM
I'd go with Bass Pro

mikebanks
02-05-2009, 09:14 PM
Im headed to Cabelas in hartford this weekend after the worcester show.

An ugly stik tiger lite rod matched with a metal salt striker rod I would think would make a good combo for fishing off docks and piers and stuff this coming summer with the kids.

sorethumb
02-06-2009, 05:59 AM
I would check online to see if they have what you want in stock first they both have saltwater catalogs you can request and order from home price of gas is probably more money than shipping now.The local guys are who I bank on first then I will look elsewhere.Stimulate your local economy they will be there for you.

Jenn
02-06-2009, 07:23 AM
If youre going to do one or the other go to Cabelas in Hartford. I think they are better for an all around outdoorsman. Mind you like others have said you wont find a whole lot to buy for your striper quest but all in all I think there is more to see there. So make a day of it....its a novelty really.

On one note though....if you do want to buy stuff know your prices. I find the same clothing in the store is often on sale online or in the catalogs but not in the store! Other stuff I am not so sure on because I mostly just buy their clothing.