View Full Version : Whats more important in a job?

The Dad Fisherman
02-04-2009, 11:05 AM
Salary or Benefits.

Curious to see what people key on when looking at a job offer.

eastendlu
02-04-2009, 11:24 AM
Actually for me it would be a balance of both.

RIJIMMY
02-04-2009, 11:24 AM
benefits can outweigh some parts of salary. I have given up $ in order to have more vacation time and less working hours.

striperman36
02-04-2009, 11:33 AM
I am for once with Mr. Jim

fishbones
02-04-2009, 11:37 AM
I think it depends on where you're at as far as salary and also how old you are and what responsibilities you have outside of work. Younger people generally are more concerned with earning, while older workers are more concerned with quality of life and benefits.

For me, quality of life is important along with being challenged at work. I left my last job for a better position with much more responsibility. I was already at a pretty decent wage. I only received a small increase in salary and no opportunity for bonus, but the benefits were better and I made out in the end. I also got a much better company car and some nice fringe benefits.

I now have a very flexible schedule which allows me to drop off and pick up my son at preschool a couple of days per week and I'm home in time to eat dinner with my wife and son. I also can take off early when I want to head down the Cape to fish with my dad. To me, those things are important.

Back Beach
02-04-2009, 11:51 AM
Salary or Benefits.

Curious to see what people key on when looking at a job offer.

Hmmmm...I usually lump them together and call it total comp. In other words, do the math, add up both items and see what the bottom line looks like. I've always tried to increase the non reportable/non taxable portion of the package. Like someone said, life balance is most important once your non work responsibilities increase.

Another point is to find out what the ceiling is on the position you are considering. In other words, ask the person hiring you about the salary range and upward mobility potential if you can't find out on your own. My two most recent jobs started lower than I anticpated, but had plenty in the way of upward mobility and rewards for meeting/exceeding performance. This was in addition to the employers providing the resources and training to get me to the next level. It has been win/win in both cases.

Tagger
02-04-2009, 04:02 PM
Family man with a wife and kids ,, Bennys

tattoobob
02-04-2009, 08:09 PM
For me it is salary My wife gets great benefits

I think the most important thing in a job is that your happy with the people you work for/ with

Raven
02-04-2009, 08:19 PM
Bennies are a perk... imho

but think of it as a trade for your set of skills
for monetary compensation

is it an equitable or fair trade?
you have to ask yourself that...

is there never enough time in a given day...
or is every minute there seem like an hour... :huh:

i say salary.......... because with today's inflation
the monetary compensation hasn't even come close to
keeping pace with it. food prices never went back down
to realistic levels like gasoline did.:deadhorse:

Gary
02-04-2009, 08:45 PM
Co-Workers and fringe benefits, then comes the real bennies. As for the labor wage swindle I could care less as long as it's fair. I make out better doing side work than I do in the normal 40.

Nebe
02-04-2009, 08:49 PM
stability

spence
02-04-2009, 10:14 PM
All of the above.

I think you have to evaluate the total package and look at your quality of life.

-spence

WESTPORTMAFIA
02-04-2009, 11:06 PM
Salary in today's job world. All job's come with ins these day's. I would worry more about salary. Salary will get you through the week or month. Benefits more than health ins have been a waste even for people at retirement age. This all depends on nothing. Cash is king right now. Take the salary. Save your own money. No more than 100k in an individual bank if you have it. Ins companies do everything not to pay and your $ isn't safe anywhere right now. Take the cash and health which is required and nothing else. I have been talking to people who have been at their jobs 20 + years and can't do anything with their $ because it isn't there. It's sad but true. The only thing anyone can promise is death and taxes. Take the SALARY, OLD OR YOUNG. You can get health and life ins cheaper than your employer these days. Hope this helped.

WESTPORTMAFIA
02-04-2009, 11:27 PM
All of the above.

I think you have to evaluate the total package and look at your quality of life.

-spence

The problem is people don't have the choice to evaluate the package at this point never mind their quality of life.

WESTPORTMAFIA
02-04-2009, 11:29 PM
stability

No such thing these day's.

spinncognito
02-05-2009, 04:00 PM
Benefits come in all shapes and sizes. While I get decent healthcare/vacation/sick at my job the biggest benefits to me are my 2 minute commute and my ultra-flexible schedule. Those are the benefits that offer up quality of life and it would take a significant amount of salary increase for me to even consider looking for another job. These days, job security should also be considered a benefit. :humpty:

tattoobob
02-05-2009, 04:55 PM
I had my performance review yesterday and all in all went well

No raise, no pay cut, and I was told if they had to layoff anymore workers I would be one of the last to go

So I have that going for me :rotflmao:

The Dad Fisherman
02-06-2009, 08:42 AM
Good Stuff Here.....Gotta make a decision soon.

Thanx for all the input.....good to see other perspectives

Both are Pretty Stable industries.......

never been in this position before......

spence
02-06-2009, 08:51 AM
The problem is people don't have the choice to evaluate the package at this point never mind their quality of life.
Nonsense.

It's a still a free society, even if you are handcuffed by economic issues.

More Nonsense.

Say the unemployment rate is at 10% and things are really bad for some...that also means that the other 90% is employed!!!

Same thing when I hear our salespeople complain about a decline in spending for our industry. Even if it dropped 30% that still means 70% is being spent, you just have to work harder and smarter to get it.

-spence

The Iceman 6
02-06-2009, 09:04 AM
The lobster or the cracked crab? Can't we have both

Saltheart
02-06-2009, 09:25 AM
It depends on the salary level and the benefit. for example , health insurance is the most important benefit IMO. But a salary 25K higher buys a lot of health insurance so its relative. Things like eye glasses insurance are pretty low on my list and would not tip the scale at all in favor of one oppurtunity vs another.

Swimmer
02-06-2009, 12:29 PM

Sure thier is, become a cop, it's a growth industry. Always has been, always will be.

Rockport24
02-06-2009, 01:19 PM
health insurance is incredibly important, but don't overlook the 401K programs, a matching program type thing can actually end up being a lot of money if you stay with the company for a while.

the upward mobility point that was mentioned is also incredibliy important. If you know that the company isn't likely to promote from within and all that, try and take them for all their worth!

Joe
02-06-2009, 01:47 PM
Benefits are extremely important. It's unrealistic to expect that you are not going to eventually experience a decline in health.

Personally, I think affordable health care would spur a rise in entrepreneurship and open up a lot of jobs. I know several people who can afford to retire now, but can't afford to retire and buy health insurance at the current premiums. I know several other people, talented individuals, who would be working for themselves, if it were not for health care costs.

The Dad Fisherman
02-06-2009, 02:08 PM
here's a couple of intangebles.....not that they mean much but it does make it interesting.

The one with the better salary is right on the water and the work hours are 6:30 to 3....so I'd be home by 3:30 everyday

the one with the better bennies has semi-flex time...as long as your in between 7-10....so I could fish every night until 2 and still get 6 hours sleep before work.

Saltheart
02-06-2009, 03:33 PM
Benefits are extremely important. It's unrealistic to expect that you are not going to eventually experience a decline in health.

Personally, I think affordable health care would spur a rise in entrepreneurship and open up a lot of jobs. I know several people who can afford to retire now, but can't afford to retire and buy health insurance at the current premiums. I know several other people, talented individuals, who would be working for themselves, if it were not for health care costs.

This is too true.

Slipknot
02-06-2009, 06:23 PM
stability

ya that's because we don't have benefits Nebe. But we have some flexibility depending on responsibilities.
Health care is a major importance, my wife works pretty much just for that. I tried to swing that for the 3 years she was out of work and it was killing me, now my body needs the health insurance :(

To answer the question, I'd have to agree with Backbeach, it's the total package that you are being paid for doing your work so add them up.

Backbeach Jake
02-06-2009, 06:58 PM
Health ins. Enough money to at least get by. And satisfaction. I'm the kind of guy who has to produce a product. And I have to be happy with it. Pushing paper is my hell.

buckman
02-06-2009, 07:11 PM
here's a couple of intangebles.....not that they mean much but it does make it interesting.

The one with the better salary is right on the water and the work hours are 6:30 to 3....so I'd be home by 3:30 everyday

the one with the better bennies has semi-flex time...as long as your in between 7-10....so I could fish every night until 2 and still get 6 hours sleep before work.

It's like trying two choose between two hot blonds. You can't lose either way, but your going to wonder what the other would have been like.:hee:

keeperreaper
02-07-2009, 05:36 AM
Buckman,
Why not just bed them both.:lm:

bassackward
02-08-2009, 11:22 AM
I too believe it's the entire package that works best for you and your family. In my situation, I feel like I am stuck but have little to complain about. I've been at same high tech company for over 20 years, starting at 23 out of college. Now I am one of the main managers with flexible hours and a good salary. To leave now would probably mean less money, but less responsiblity, and I would lose my comfort zone. I must admit, I would like to change careers and move closer to the water, but now is not the time. My job so far has been independent of the economy (wealthy family ownership). With two young kids and a mortgage, I have too much to risk just so I can fish more. In fact where I work, there are many of us with 10 or more years there so we have it pretty good.

Raider Ronnie
02-08-2009, 02:05 PM
From watching the news with 1000s of layoffs a day, just having a job is the most important thing these days !