View Full Version : Drinking theory...

JoeBass
02-09-2009, 01:54 PM
Scientific data has lead to the following conclusions regarding striper fishermen:

-Chunk fisherman drink beer

-eel fisherman drink a shot and a beer

-plug fisherman are heroin addicts and beat their wives.

-fly fisherman drink martinis and fine wine.

hey, it's science, don't blame me.

Circlehook
02-09-2009, 02:12 PM
Not far off. I fish eels and enjoy a 12yr scotch before beer.

I always have a bottle of Johnny Black and Dalmore handy.

The Dad Fisherman
02-09-2009, 02:37 PM
Does that mean Plugs are a Gateway Drug?

MarshCappa
02-09-2009, 02:41 PM
It's funny, when I'm on my skiff I only have a couple of beers during the day and none if it's an early morning trip. I bring at least a 6 pack when I shore fish and more if I'm not rock hopping and with a buddy. One of my favorite things to do is hang out front on Dux beach and throw a chunk or two and toss back the coldies. I do this a couple of times a year. Less about the fish and more about the peace and quiet.

Rob Rockcrawler
02-09-2009, 02:41 PM
Hi my name is rob and im a plugoholic.

JoeBass
02-09-2009, 02:42 PM

I've read that it leads to wet suit fishing and in the most extreme cases....kayaks.

CaptMike
02-09-2009, 03:04 PM

Hi Rob!

CaptMike
02-09-2009, 03:05 PM
I don't see rum and wine (not mixed together LOL) on the list. I must be some sort of mutant-hybrid. fly, light tackle bait I love it all! I agree a couple of beers while soaking bait can be very relaxing. Especially while bottom fishing or something in the afternoon.

Raven
02-09-2009, 03:40 PM
what no phelps Bong

where are ya Nebe? :huh:

RIROCKHOUND
02-09-2009, 03:55 PM
For the record, Nebe actually does not smoke...

I don't condone drinking and fishing, either boating or shore based.
Enough sober idiots out there hopping rocks and boating
I drink when I drink and fish when I fish...

that being said give me an irish or scotch whiskey, or stout and I'm happy...

Adam_777
02-09-2009, 03:56 PM
I do sometimes catch the aroma of Mary Jane while fishing when there's others around leading me to believe that the bait guys get drunk and smoke weed like the swimmer guy Phelps.He must be a hardcore bait guy.I wonder if bong sales have increased do to the recent hype ?

NIB
02-09-2009, 04:12 PM
I find the statement about plug builders apaulling..I never used heroin..:laugha:

FishermanTim
02-09-2009, 04:19 PM
As a plastic throwing fisherman, I prefer Guiness :gu:or Tequila (good tequila, not the bar swill:yak:)

With all this drinking :cheers2:and smoking:smokin:, it's no wonder we all have "stories" of monster bass that we have battled over the years. :rotflmao:

Roger
02-09-2009, 05:46 PM
-fly fisherman drink martinis and fine wine.

More like single malt and a fine cigar, for me at least :drool:

Rappin Mikey
02-09-2009, 05:56 PM
I also never drink when I fish. More than a few members on this board can attest to that!

Raven
02-09-2009, 06:29 PM
i'll take a beer or two with me plus many soda's

but i don't open a beer unless i kill the skunk big time

joe the plumber
02-09-2009, 07:40 PM
:rotflmao::rotflmao:
I love it! You checked out the Phelps thread!!!

Slipknot
02-09-2009, 08:27 PM
I also never drink when I fish. More than a few members on this board can attest to that!

I'll be the first to back you up on that one Mikey:cheers::cheers2::gu:

RickBomba
02-09-2009, 09:36 PM
I also never drink when I'm around Mikey. At least for the first few minutes!:buds:

BTW, I'll take the chunk fisherman, all the way!

RickBomba
02-09-2009, 09:38 PM
OK, I take it back...guess I am a fly fisherman. Love the martinis and fine wine.
Mikey can attest to that (and Kevin and John R)

RickBomba
02-09-2009, 09:41 PM

Rob,
I think you chose the wrong fisherman! Seems to me you might be a chunkah!

The Dad Fisherman
02-09-2009, 10:13 PM

As long as I don't have to do it under oath...we're good

numbskull
02-09-2009, 10:25 PM
Some hold their liquor better than others

http://vault.sportsillustrated.cnn.com/edb/reader.html?magID=SI&issueDate=19811221&mode=reader_vault

Click on thumbnail and slide to page 79 (about 3/4 the way across)
Its worth it.

Pt.JudeJoe
02-09-2009, 11:40 PM
Gimme 12 steps mister..12 steps toward the shore..:buds::fishin:

BassDawg
02-10-2009, 08:01 AM
HERE'S sum more emperical evidence for ya, Joe!

when i first started drinking as a teen, it was beeeeers.
my first foray into the surf was via the chunk stick.

as i graduated with my addictions to the recreational habituates and opiates of ALL kinds
combined with drinking during the hard years of early adulthood i would've fit yer model to a T,
save for the wife beating as i was unmarried at that time.
consequently, my next progression in the surf was PLUGS

back when i was a drinking man and functioning alkie, my poison of choice waz
a shot and a beer, multiple times over.
and now me offering of choice is EEEEEEEEEEELS.

oddly enough, i've always felt that martinis and cigars would be reserved for my Golden Years,
although i have been to the Table of Fine Wine ~~rather profusely~~ and i LOVE wodka!!
and i've ALWAYS said that i would take up fly fishing when i reached retirement, God Willing.
i've oft envisioned me and my bride riding off into the sunset to the streams and canyons of Wyoming or Montana where the buffalo are free to roam and the salmon and the monster trout play.
:bl: :faga: :bl:

JoeBass
02-10-2009, 09:00 AM
The scientific evidence I was referring to said "Plug fisherman are often addicted, which doesn't make their wives happy". Obviously , they are referring to heroin and wife beating. (I'm sure in some instances it is the wife who is the heroin addict and she beats the husband).
For the record, I personally like beer, shots, wine and martinis (also Manhattans). Never during fishing, but usually after. I like chunk, plug, eel and fly fishing. So this is obviously more evidence.

CaptMike
02-11-2009, 02:48 PM
this is pretty good but there's no section for trollers/wireliners. I have no idea what they drink, moonshine, corn whiskey? JK. I find a nice chardonnay goes with flyfishing for stripers but blues require a syrah. Tuna on a fly go well with champagne, because it's worth celebrating to me!

baldwin
02-11-2009, 10:21 PM
I guess, then, that I should give up plugging and take up chunking to improve my social status. Actually, I think plugging and flyfishing are much more addictive than the drugs you mention, and are probably just as bad in the eyes of my wife. Oh, well...screw it...let's get out there and feed our fishing habits. Beer, wine, whiskey and heroin are all secondary.

Slipknot
02-12-2009, 08:35 AM
I drink water

Swimmer
02-12-2009, 12:03 PM
I have set up many experiments over the years and worked dilligently to prove and/or disprove many theories that are currently accepted as gospel in the drinking communtiy. Having conducted so many experiments that I became an expert at establishing baseline priorities when beginning an experiment many other experts consulted with me, and in fact joined me in my research. That being said: the one thing I have found in researching alcohol/beer expecially in relation to taste and capacity is that the older I get, the beer taste better and better, but unfortunately my capacity to consume beer is less and less. So in the end I found that life is a delicate balance between taste, more and less.

The Dad Fisherman
02-12-2009, 12:11 PM
The one thing I have found as i got older was that if i have a couple of beers before bed....I can't make it through the night anymore w/ out a trip to the facilities.

Which is why I have been embracing Vodkas and Scotches lately

CaptMike
02-12-2009, 09:52 PM
The one thing I have found as i got older was that if i have a couple of beers before bed....I can't make it through the night anymore w/ out a trip to the facilities.

Which is why I have been embracing Vodkas and Scotches lately

Mixed together? lol

Nebe
02-12-2009, 09:55 PM
where are ya Nebe? :huh:

Im in Philly doing a trade show. :huh:

Raven
02-13-2009, 05:53 AM
and that is my theory :uhuh:

-----------------------

ok Nebe....

remark with held....