View Full Version : who uses a stripping basket onthe boat?

CaptMike
02-10-2009, 11:26 AM
Hey,

I'm going to try using a stripping basket on the boat this year. I usually don't because it's just more stuff on the boat but I think it might help. Wind wouldn't be able to blow it around and with the orvis one I could just put my rod in it when driving the boat. Do you guys use them often?:gu:

capecodkid
02-10-2009, 03:58 PM
I always do when I'm alone since I can easily move around the boat and go back and forth from console to bow easily while chasing albie schools. When I got others on the boat I only do sometimes.

CaptMike
02-10-2009, 04:09 PM
yep they seem like a good idea. Nothing's worse than seeing breaking fish and stepping on your line as you cast.

Roger
02-10-2009, 08:11 PM
I use multiple setups rigged and ready on my boat. I use mangrove hipshooters. They have a neat way of holding the rod semi-securely while traveling.

saltfly
02-10-2009, 11:17 PM
yes,the setup can be"at the ready" when traveling..Pick up the rod and cast.

flyvice11787
02-11-2009, 09:07 PM
I have to have a stripping basket. Can't stand to have the line going all over the place. Worse still is stepping on the line when you're trying to get a cast off at fish :fury:.

CaptMike
02-12-2009, 11:52 AM
agreed

Jackhammer
02-12-2009, 05:08 PM
I usually strip into a bucket, it works well for the most part. I have been looking at the hip shooter for some time now.. I'm seriously considering it come spring. I have yet to come across a poor review on it.

bonefishdick
02-12-2009, 05:16 PM
Stripping basket is the only way to go, it moves with you, it gives you someplace to put the rod when tying on new flies without having to lay the rod down and you can slide it around behind you when fighting a fish. All the same benefits when wading. A tupperware dishpan and a bungy cord is a cheap way to start and works very well. also.

BOSOX
02-12-2009, 09:45 PM
I use a bucket system that uses 2 buckets, the second bucket has most of it's bottom cut out and sits upside down on top of the other bucket. The line is stripped into the open hole, it helps having the hole a bit higher, it tends to keep more line in the bucket.

flysully
02-22-2009, 10:23 AM
Always use a stripping basket when fishing from a boat and so do friends who own their own boats as it prevents getting the line tangled as well as not stepping on it, as mentioned above.

Got strange looks and adverse comments from our guides in Great Exuma, Bahamas when we fished there on two separate trips, using the basket when fishing from their boat. They smirked and definitely recommended we take off the baskets but not stepping on the line in the important quick cast when we spotted a fish was more important than pleasing the guide. As it worked out, in the end, he agreed the basket was a good thing.

Scout
02-24-2009, 06:30 PM
I used to use one then I spent about $140 for that free standing tube that is advertised in the mags (can't remember the name and it's too cold to go out and play with the boat cover) The manufacture also sells silly hats and aluminum benders for siding , really! It took a little getting used to but I love it now! When I'm going to move the boat I drop the rod butt end first right into it and I'm off. I slam on the brakes pick up the rod and I'm casting! It also makes a good place to stick all those silly decals we get!:walk:

Scout
02-25-2009, 06:15 PM
"Fly Line Tamer" advertised in the mags is the way to go. Gets some getting used to but now I love it. You can drop the rod into it butt end first and then move the boat without fear of losing everything or tangling the line up.

Roger
02-25-2009, 08:31 PM
"Fly Line Tamer" advertised in the mags is the way to go.

If you like the barrel type, Pleskunas's is about the best out there. Lots of nice design features and custom sized based on your height. Link (http://www.mbflyfishing.com/stan.html)

Scout
02-26-2009, 07:12 AM
If you like the barrel type, Pleskunas's is about the best out there. Lots of nice design features and custom sized based on your height. Link (http://www.mbflyfishing.com/stan.html)

Hey Roger,
Thanks for that reference. It looks like they improved it exactly how I would have improved the "...Tamer".