View Full Version : Fishing Contests

Back Beach
02-10-2009, 04:03 PM
Will you enter any next year and why?

CaptMike
02-10-2009, 04:07 PM
I usually enter the striper cup but I'm not sure this year, I like the camaraderie, the party and season long aspect but I'm worried about the amount of fish that are being killed. I wonder if they could figure out a way to make that tournament catch and release. Probably will still enter it, they give you pins even for c+r plus the t shirt is cool

tattoobob
02-10-2009, 04:16 PM
No, I am not interested in killing large quantities of big fish for bragging rights.

5/0
02-10-2009, 04:28 PM
I think I'll give the Cup another go,last year was my first official time ever of entering a Tourney.
I tried it for S-B comrodary but mainly for my self to see how'd I do.
It was fun to watch & see who did what & when but the BS talk amoungst everyone was priceless,but personaly I didn't give it all & I have myself to blame...
I'd like to do it again and of course try harder meaning hit the water more than 2-3 times a week every other week I need to put more time in for the PM tides not just Am.

Most of all put myself first,fish every day & night!Ta Hell with my job and foget about the Wife & kids.....It's all about me!:jester:

5/0

Circlehook
02-10-2009, 04:33 PM
I will enter the Striper Cup again.

It really pushed me, made me fish harder to try to put a fish on the board, and I am a much better fisherman now because of it.

It made me ask questions, try new spots/things and most importantly it made me put in so much more time than I would have if I was just casually fishing. I needed somthing to jolt me to the next level, and that was it.

Slingah
02-10-2009, 04:42 PM
No..I don't think so..Ive found I get more pleasure out of letting them go...plus I don't care for alot of the crap that comes with competitive fishing....

BigFish
02-10-2009, 04:44 PM
Think I am gonna pass this year....I think. I only join the Striper Cup for a shot at the boat and for the Striperfest event! You do not have to kill a fish for that!

new jack
02-10-2009, 04:52 PM
maybe, if there is another Big Fish Bait Co. photo contest. I just got my first digital camera! and hope to catch some nice fish on bigfish canal specials

Bronko
02-10-2009, 05:01 PM
Striper cup again.

MAKAI
02-10-2009, 05:55 PM
This year I think is the 25th year of the FISH WEEK invitational which I co-founded with Pag, much fun had by all.

Raider Ronnie
02-10-2009, 06:06 PM
I'll be doing the "yo yo" commercial season derby :hidin:

MVbluefish
02-10-2009, 07:43 PM
MV Derby every year, even if I don't have time to fish it properly. I can't break tradition.:doh:

ivanputski
02-10-2009, 08:02 PM
every year I participate in a tournament against my own previous season... No entry fee, no BS... just me and the guidelines i set for myself... maybe 1 or 2 club tournaments that offer no prize... just for fun...

Green Light
02-10-2009, 08:10 PM
Striper Cup.
But, I am personally going to cath, digital picture, release.
I'll post the pictures on my blog.
I'll attend the Striperfest party.
That way, I get the best of both worlds, so to speak.

The Dad Fisherman
02-10-2009, 10:13 PM
I'll be doing the Striper Cup
The Leo Almeida Tourney
and the PISC Yearlong and Invitational

Vogt
02-10-2009, 10:34 PM
I always participate in my club's tourny. However, I have been tossing around the idea of entering the striper cup for the team....

Crafty Angler
02-11-2009, 12:28 AM
I'm not a tournament kind of guy - it's not the reason I fish, anyway -

However, I do plan on fishing the 2nd Annual Habs Fall Classic again this year...:)

Back Beach
02-11-2009, 08:50 AM
No..I don't think so..Ive found I get more pleasure out of letting them go...plus I don't care for alot of the crap that comes with competitive fishing....

I'm leaning that way too. A lot of petty b.s. goes on you don't hear/see and it gets annoying after a while. I can say in my experience with the striper cup I've witnessed the best and worst in people...cheating,etc.
Once I enter a tournament, I feel obligated to fish more and make sacrifices I normally wouldn't. Kind of makes it more stress inducing than fun.

NIB
02-11-2009, 09:22 AM
I'm leaning that way too. A lot of petty b.s. goes on you don't hear/see and it gets annoying after a while. I can say in my experience with the striper cup I've witnessed the best and worst in people...cheating,etc.
Once I enter a tournament, I feel obligated to fish more and make sacrifices I normally wouldn't. Kind of makes it more stress inducing than fun.

I have used tourney's as a inspirational tool along the way in my time fishing.I have to admit,tourney's have forced me to go when I might not have and I have learned some things,very important things in the process.I have heard folks say they don't need a tourney to go fishing.Thats great.But it's not the point.Cacthing fish in specific time frame is harder than it seems.We have weekend club tourneys here in NJ.This format has learned me to become a better angler.( it hasn't done anything for my writing skills)...I am sure I would not have learned as much any other way.It's like the pressure of comm fishing for money only different.You train youself to do what it takes.You figure things out.Someone fishing recreationally or for fun would have long quit when I pressed on.I have learned quite a bit from the whole process.Years ago Fishing in LMB touneys there would be times I could not cacth my ass if my pockets where filled with trble hooks,.You sit on the water and ponder this and that and make up excuses.When you get to the weigh-in there's always someone with a bag.
That was a lesson...There's always a way..
I have to add tourney fishing has reached the point for me where I no longer desire to fish the same way.Some might say they have evolved or have outgrown the whole tourney thing..for me it's only partly true.I still like to compete.But I think I'll leave that competitive spirit to the younger upstarts.Mostly cause I can't keep up with em anymore.:tooth:
I will still enter for a chance of something of good value.
I have no problem admitting that a 1000 dollar prize is more valuable that any 40 lb fish.Especially in these lean times.

Sea Dangles
02-11-2009, 10:08 AM
I don't espacially like the tournaments, however the prizes and parties are what keep me coming back. I have mentioned before that I have personally witnessed how ugly things can get in these formats.I can deal with the cheaters but when I see friends mislead friends intentionally or listen to stories about pm's sent to anglers who are on the fish that were sent by folks that hardly know them I have to bite my tongue. I may decide to fish only the weekend events this year so I can avoid the deceit for the greater part of the season.I will try my best to defend the Red Top tournament especially given the tides and moon in the time frame. I also really enjoyed the Back Eddy, especially the party that ensues following the event. I have had three great years fishing the OTW cup but I think it has run its course and my conscience may prevail in the future.If my son can convince me to change my mind that would be the only reason to partipate.I have won many prizes but killed too many cows in the process.

RIROCKHOUND
02-11-2009, 10:37 AM
Just the club tournaments, and probably the two weekend events, but really don't care much about these... just fish when I can

Nebe
02-11-2009, 10:51 AM
Nope. no club affiliations either.. Save the drama for your mama. :hihi:

bart
02-11-2009, 11:21 AM
prob not. don't see myself fishing as much as i usually do. trying to concentrate on other things. plus i suck at landing big fish...

Redsoxticket
02-11-2009, 12:17 PM
Club event if and only if it happens to fall on days that I would have fished anyways and I was in need for a bass for the table.

Mr. Sandman
02-11-2009, 12:36 PM
I have completely lost all interest in the striper cup, and have less than zero interest in driving to Boston to drink beer with other loud fishermen in the middle of the fall run. The structure is screwy and the tournament is poorly run. I want no part of it anymore.

BassDawg
02-11-2009, 05:05 PM
LOVE The Striper Cup!!!

as far as tournaments go, and it IS evolving, it is well run ~imho~ given its scope and magnitude.
5 Months from PA to ME!!!

sure there are still sum kinks,,,,,but overall, the schwag and the comraderie and the competition was the BALLZ and i had a BLAST
participating in all three aspects of it. and the party was a needed break and letting off of steam from the final weeks of the tournament.

keep in MIND, gents!!! there's no such thing as the PERFECT tournament, and ALL contests are only as good as their very worst participants. the bigger the tournament, ie #'s of anglers/value of prizes, the more the "human" element figures in/greater odds of foulplay entering the mix.

i will also enter these:

SOL Rhode Island Biggest Bass and Blue Contest
Leo Almeida for its NShore charities
Winchester Fishing Co's year long event,
The HABS Fall Classic for the Hasbro Home for Kids,
The WKPG Surf Club Challenge for MS.

some for good causes, some for the FUN, and
mostly to fish with sum of the best the Striper Coast has to offer.

win or lose, i will have simply enjoyed the opportunity to compete
and the added jolt of adrenaline as each tourney nears its end.

JohnR
02-11-2009, 05:41 PM
I really enjoy the Striper Cup but I'm a bit hesitant these days. Overall it is a good tourney but echoing some of the previous comments, it can get a little long in the tooth with the stories and the people yapping and yapping about problems real and make believe. That takes away from the "fun" and competition.

That and a LOT of big fish. There must be a way to pull that back even further. Clicks heels three times....

Circlehook
02-11-2009, 06:00 PM
As far as the Striper Cup goes, I will weigh in a fish over 40 lbs, but that is a fish I would keep regardless. I am not going in to work late so I can hit a weigh station with a 31lb fish. I just assume release it an catch it a couple years later when it is bigger.

I remember reading somewhere, and I am probably wrong, that 3-7 yr old females have the best quality eggs and contribute the most to our striper stocks.

It really is the fish over 40lb that matter at the end of the season when all is tallied. I think If we have a team rule that only fish over 40 will get weighed, then we can really limit the number of fish killed.

I think people also need to pay less attention to the drama around them. Who gives a crap what the other teams are saying, doing. Get thicker skin. It is supposed to be fun and competitive. :hidin:

Gunpowder
02-11-2009, 07:18 PM
MV, Woods Hole, and Striper Cup.... give them another go this year

Clogston29
02-11-2009, 07:36 PM
i'll fish the striper cup. i like it. i don't take it too seriously. if i get a good fish to weigh in, i will. if not, i won't.

i'll fish the almeida tourney if i'm around that weekend. i think its an "%$%$%$%$ moon this year so i'll probably throw the wife a bone and volunteer to go away for the weekend

definately fish the hab's tourney, it was very fun last year.

baldwin
02-11-2009, 10:16 PM
Only those in my surfcasting club, which are catch-and-release. I don't fish to win, I fish to have fun (though I've won more than a couple over the years). The day I fish "to win" or to prove something is the day I think about it and quit.

Mike P
02-11-2009, 10:40 PM
Honestly, I'm on the fence for the Striper Cup. I would like to collect the entry pins for as long as it goes on, though. I'd like to think that some day they might be like Schaeffer pins, something my son might like to have.

I will do the locals' Stan Gibbs Canal "Hawgtober" tourney, but I'd only enter a new leader. I don't need another jacket or fleece for 4th through 2nd place.

BigFish
02-11-2009, 10:43 PM
The pin was the number 1 reason I join Mike! The t-shirt never fits! Guess most fishermen are a large???:hihi:

NIB
02-12-2009, 07:58 AM
I have 18 pins in the 3 years I have been in the SC..
Larry I will trade all but one of em for a Predator..

Clammer
02-12-2009, 09:40 AM
NOPE >>>

BEEN THERE/DONE THAT // &&&&&&&&&& HAVE SEEN WAY TOO MUCH ><><><>:fishin:

Raven
02-12-2009, 12:08 PM
NOPE >>>

BEEN THERE/DONE THAT // &&&&&&&&&& HAVE SEEN WAY TOO MUCH ><><><>:fishin:

:grins:
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c66/ravenob1/Load.png

JLH
02-12-2009, 04:00 PM
I enjoy the tournaments and will be participating again this year.

I’ll fish the cup again this year. Like the team aspect and being involved makes it more interesting tracking how the other teams are doing through the season. I think most of the big bass that are being weighed in for the tourney would have been killed anyway so I don’t think the tournament itself is hurting the fishery.

Did my first surf tourney last year, the surf club challenge last fall with SB, and it was a good time. Look forward to that again this year.

Usually also enter a kayak tourney that’s catch & release which is always a good time.

Rocco34520
02-12-2009, 05:18 PM
I am contemplating joining the Striper Cup for the first year. The only thing that is holding me back is the concept of actually keeping a fish. I only keep a occassional fish for the table but i dont think i could do it often for a tournement. Idk we will see.

Circlehook
02-12-2009, 07:14 PM
I am contemplating joining the Striper Cup for the first year. The only thing that is holding me back is the concept of actually keeping a fish. I only keep a occassional fish for the table but i dont think i could do it often for a tournement. Idk we will see.

This is what I was getting at above. Each team member can only have his top two fish count for the team for the year. Only keep a fish to weigh in if it is over 40, or a high 30.

I don't like looking at the scoreboard early in the year and seeing tons of 18-19lb stripers weighed in. It does nothing for your team, and you aren't gonna win a weekly for it.

Raider Ronnie
02-12-2009, 08:54 PM
This is what I was getting at above. Each team member can only have his top two fish count for the team for the year. Only keep a fish to weigh in if it is over 40, or a high 30.

I don't like looking at the scoreboard early in the year and seeing tons of 18-19lb stripers weighed in. It does nothing for your team, and you aren't gonna win a weekly for it.

The only benefit of weighing fish early on is the weekly prizes

Backbeach Jake
02-12-2009, 09:09 PM
I'll fish the Striper Cup again, I''l have a chance at a pin and a T-shirt.
And I'll fish the Troll Derby where I'll have a chance at a real good time.:btu:

CaptMike
02-12-2009, 09:45 PM
Only those in my surfcasting club, which are catch-and-release. I don't fish to win, I fish to have fun (though I've won more than a couple over the years). The day I fish "to win" or to prove something is the day I think about it and quit.

I like your attitude while I still may enter the striper cup I don't get too serious about it. Fishing is what I enjoy if it were to ever become stressful I would stop. Work is enough, I fish for fun

Sea Flat
02-13-2009, 11:15 AM
i'll fish the striper cup. i like it. i don't take it too seriously. if i get a good fish to weigh in, i will. if not, i won't.

Me too.

I know a lot of people especially on this site with its own team do the team thing and I think this is where the most amount of fish are killed. I will continue to avoid the team and do not think bad of those involved in a team or anything it is just my personal choice. if I happen to catch a fish of a lifetime that I would probably keep anyway, why not weigh it in and get a chance at a weekly or monthly prize. Plus, the truck and the boat. No brainer.

inTHERAPY
02-13-2009, 11:49 AM
I'm joneseing real bad! I plan on fishing a few this year, a few local and the Cup. I think this year though I may put less effort into the stripers and more into the "other"fish and family outings.
We often read the same responses regarding tourney posts. To which I saw: If you like the idea of tourney fishing but do not like the bs of cutthroats or cheaters don't listen to it or click on that thread. Fish for the reasons you like to fish. Don't get caught up in it.
About killing so many fish, personally I see no reason to weigh in any fish under 40#, except during May in the Cup. I may even up that number as a 40 really won't help the team win the Cup. Lastly, remember, most of us on this board fish pretty hard. But most fishermen are thrilled to death on a day when they boat 3 or 4 fish in the 20# range. Maybe a 25# fish is a personal best and going home to show off. Why not weigh it in.
Good luck, see you at the party. Art

Diggin Jiggin
02-13-2009, 11:56 AM
Me too.

I know a lot of people especially on this site with its own team do the team thing and I think this is where the most amount of fish are killed. I will continue to avoid the team and do not think bad of those involved in a team or anything it is just my personal choice. if I happen to catch a fish of a lifetime that I would probably keep anyway, why not weigh it in and get a chance at a weekly or monthly prize. Plus, the truck and the boat. No brainer.

I disagree with the point about the team. The fish you need to make the top 10 for the team are big enough to have a legitimate shot at a monthly prize and I think would be weighed in for that anyways. I think competing for the the weekly prize and the 30 # pin is where the fish kill occurs. No one knows what you need for a weekly prize,
so a lot of fish are weighed in that don't win. I wish when you weighed in a fish it was done thru an online form that updated something realtime so you could have a sense of what's been weighed in weekly or monthly to date...

Sea Flat
02-13-2009, 12:51 PM
I disagree with the point about the team. The fish you need to make the top 10 for the team are big enough to have a legitimate shot at a monthly prize and I think would be weighed in for that anyways. I think competing for the the weekly prize and the 30 # pin is where the fish kill occurs. No one knows what you need for a weekly prize,
so a lot of fish are weighed in that don't win. I wish when you weighed in a fish it was done thru an online form that updated something realtime so you could have a sense of what's been weighed in weekly or monthly to date...

Yes, exactly. I was thinking the same thing. If each weigh station could update electronically and all enterers of the tourney check a website before they went out they would know what a prize fish may be.

Never thought about the team aspect that way. Sounds like you are right. I stand corrected.

Saltheart
02-13-2009, 01:02 PM
I don't care too much about tourneys anymore. I do like the ones we have where you must fish with people here or after a Barbecue , etc. but simply paying in hopes of winning a prize just doesn't seem to matter anymore.

Fund raisers are an exception sometimes.

ThrowingTimber
02-13-2009, 01:28 PM
I dont mind some good competition with so much other stuff going on in ones life tournaments etc, give me a little incentive to be selfish and take a bit of time for myself. And allow me to try and put forth my best efforts. I dont really worry about what others are doing and whos doing what and how, personally I feel that ppl who worry about what everyone else is doing are sort of meddlesome. I tend to take a well this is how Im going to go about it and I try and stick to that as best I can.