View Full Version : Rod & Reel Suggestions

MarshCappa
02-11-2009, 11:37 AM
I need help picking out my next setup. I would like to purchase something economical, versitle, and realiable for a surf and boat option. Is there a hybrid rod good for the surf and isn't a PIA to bring on the skiff. I don't have tons of dough and would like a setup to be under $200 if that is even possible:huh:. I have a good light tackle setup now but it's not a good surf option. I primarily go out on my skiff for inshore fishing but I still like to go out on the rocks and beachs in my area. What do you think guys, am I out to lunch and being unrealistic about my budget and needs? Thanks for your help.:thanks:

oceanspray
02-11-2009, 12:10 PM
I have both heavy and light spin tackle, but wanted something more versatile for the boat. Just picked up a conventional Abu Garcia 6500 C3 ($75), and a 7' Tsunami 701H rod ($30). Practice in the back yard... I love it!

Pete F.
02-11-2009, 12:32 PM
Well, I can't even figure out just one setup for the surf.
I would think you could get one reel to work reasonably well for both, and get the rod to do what you do more of and make it work for the other. Then watch for a deal for the other rod. Having time to wait saves money.

steve
02-11-2009, 02:20 PM
7 or 8 ft. St. Croix Triumph series and a Penn 5500 ss .

MarshCappa
02-11-2009, 05:15 PM
7 or 8 ft. St. Croix Triumph series and a Penn 5500 ss .

Wow I like those! Something is telling me 9' might be nice too. How about the St Croix spinning reels? What's the reviews on those?

Rob Rockcrawler
02-11-2009, 05:44 PM
Go with a 9er, a lot more versatile in my opinion. Id keep my eyes open for a stradic 6000 used. It would put you right around 2 bills, and will be a good setup. No word on st croix spinning reels. I would stick with something a bit more proven.

JohnnyD
02-11-2009, 07:30 PM
Wow I like those! Something is telling me 9' might be nice too. How about the St Croix spinning reels? What's the reviews on those?

You really want to use a 9' rod in a boat?

MAKAI
02-11-2009, 07:36 PM
How about getting 2 rods and just switch out the reel ?

Sweetwater
02-11-2009, 07:55 PM
How about getting 2 rods and just switch out the reel ?

Gotta go with MAKAI on this one. I've never found a rod that I was comfortable with on a boat that could also go to the beach with me. The closest thing I have is an 8' St. Croix that is a great boat rod and a decent light beach rod. It can throw reasonably sized tin and plugs to about 2 oz. But it can't cast anywhere near as far as my 10' spinning rod. Also, strongly recommend the Penn Slammers. I've got a 460 and 560LL and they're terrific reels.

tattoobob
02-11-2009, 08:04 PM
I like the penn 6500ss or the 704z, with a 9 foot rod maybe an ugly stick, my first set up was a pen 6500ss with a 9 foot ugly stick and I used it for both surf and in my tin boat worked great for me

togue
02-11-2009, 09:14 PM
Penn 6500ss with the Ugly Stick is definitely a solid and economical option.

For a few bucks more you might want to look into a Tica 9'. My regular fishing bud uses that combo. We both use 9' spinning rods from shore and boat through the season, and toss lures and eels all night long from a 14' boat, so I can vouch for that combo working very well for you.

Bill L
02-11-2009, 10:08 PM
Steve is right on the money with a St Croix and Penn SS for your budget. I would stick with 8', the problem with the 9's is the longer butt length gets in the way in the boat (yes it will work though). Double your budget and go for a Loomis and a Slammer :humpty:

MarshCappa
02-11-2009, 10:11 PM
This is really helping guys! I can't say enough for the feedback. I already have a 8' Ugly Stick with a Penn6500ss and I love it for the skiff but I always feel under gunned for the rocks or beach. I really would use the 9' St Croix as a back up on the skiff or to have as a long distance option so I can launch a plug a little farther out than the Ugly Stick.

MAKAI
02-12-2009, 12:05 AM
Get an 8 foot s -glass spun up and put the 650 on that, 2 spools one with 30 # braid, the other 12 -15 # big game. Med to heavy on the blank. S- glass take a little of the bounce out of the braid, and you can really lean on it if you have to.

stiff tip
02-12-2009, 05:48 AM
the barbi doll or sponge bob rod n reel by shak e spear at k-mart on sale for 4.99 pink or blue ???????? does that help :hang:

Crafty Angler
02-12-2009, 06:04 AM
If you've already got a 6500, you've got a great reel for your application already.

My only recommendation is that you remember to remove the drag knob of the 6500 after every use if you can and run warm water over the drag washers and use a soapy sponge to keep 'em free of salt deposits.

Put the additional money into the rod and you won't regret it - but like everyone has already said, you'll find a 9' is going to be unwieldy for use on a boat.

8' is going to be a good compromise size - St Croix is tough to beat as is Loomis - both have plenty of choices in that size and price range, plus or minus a few $$$.

At $200 you may find the budget a little tight for a custom stick unless you have contact with a good rod-builder.

MarshCappa
02-12-2009, 08:48 AM
the barbi doll or sponge bob rod n reel by shak e spear at k-mart on sale for 4.99 pink or blue ???????? does that help :hang:

I already have a Speed Racer setup for the canal and a Spider Man for the fresh!:laughs: I retired a Tweety Bird last summer on the blues! Thanks for the laugh!

MarshCappa
02-12-2009, 08:54 AM
If you've already got a 6500, you've got a great reel for your application already.

My only recommendation is that you remember to remove the drag knob of the 6500 after every use if you can and run warm water over the drag washers and use a soapy sponge to keep 'em free of salt deposits.

Put the additional money into the rod and you won't regret it - but like everyone has already said, you'll find a 9' is going to be unwieldy for use on a boat.

8' is going to be a good compromise size - St Croix is tough to beat as is Loomis - both have plenty of choices in that size and price range, plus or minus a few $$$.

At $200 you may find the budget a little tight for a custom stick unless you have contact with a good rod-builder.

I know what you're saying and thanks for the suggestion. I think I'm getting the 9' from someone on S_B that totally fits my budget. This will be a backup on the skiff and not my primary rod. If anything now I'll do more beach fishing with this and be better equipped. I'll keep an eye out for a reel. The Penn has been good but only after finding out exactly what you described about the sand the hard way. It was serviced by a local guy in town that told me to do the same thing in the future. I have a reputation of finding things out the hard way:wall: Maybe this is the year I'm better prepared, no thanks to all the feedback and great posts on this site.:uhuh: