View Full Version : Finish

Goose
12-30-2002, 11:40 AM
After inspecting an Star Rod "Nickelite" (production rod) that I've had for a few years, I've decided to rewrap the guides due to rust coming up through the threads and the orginal finish is flaking off. I removed one of the guides revealing that the blank had
one coat of finish then the wraps where finished again. Also, there are no under wraps.

On several other rods that I've done over, I had the finish done twice, once the guides where wrapped. I'm guessing the orginal finish is a better and harder finish that may only need one coat. Can I get away with one finish of flex coat then put on the guides or should I go with two coats then put on two more over the wraps? It seems that would add more weight. Will there be a significant change by adding a underwrap?

Its rated for 1-4oz but throws 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 perfect!!

SeaWolf
12-30-2002, 12:36 PM
first off, on a surf rod, i would defintely put an underwrap. it protects the blank. you can put one coat of flex over your underwrap, but i would remove as much of the flex as you can once it is absorbed into the thread. you can do this after all the wraps have been flexed. just heat them slightly to make the flex more fluid again. use a blue shop towel to remove the excess flex. again, this is optional. if you use nylon thrread w/ no color preserver, you really don't need to flex the underwraps. then, wrap your guides on. as far as the amount of coats to put on, i would try for 2-3 coats. 1 thick coat on a rod is not the best.

you can paint the guides after you grind them to reduce rust buildup or you can get better guides, such as stainless frames. you'll pay more though.