View Full Version : Busy Band Saw

steelhead
02-14-2009, 08:49 AM
One of the guys who fabricates a lot of the millwork I design was kind enough to knock these shapes out for me. There's a little poplar, spanish cedar, maple, mahogany and a couple pieces of old growth cyprus. I'm snorting sawdust now....:humpty:

NIB
02-14-2009, 09:06 AM
The poplar makes nice knock hockey pucks.The spanish is nice a slightly heavier than the red.It's a poor man's mahogany.It's holy which is a pita if you worry about them things.The maple is nice hard heavy can be hard to and carve.I have seen the world of difference in mahogany.Mahogany which is in the cedar family can resmeble cedar in weight and hardness of it can run close to a soft maple.
The cypress looks nice I can't recall ever using any.i would think it is like white cedar which You don't see anymore.Or a bass wood.
They turn nice, have a lighter specific gravity than AYC..I think.
Thats a lot of plugs there.I wonder how many will get finished..

steelhead
02-14-2009, 12:58 PM
Yeah NIB, That's a lot of wood to chop...
It's nice to know it's all just sitting there waiting for me.

I'm looking forward to experimenting with different ways to weight them and seeing how the various woods glide. Will the action of the cedar be brighter than the maple? Or will it be deadened by possibly having to put more weight in the belly? What happens if the weight is closer to the centerline of the bait as opposed to along the belly? All these questions to be answered...

Then there's all that painting.
I have a few things up my sleeve to try out on those slabs of wood...

:wave:

SH

gldnbear93
02-14-2009, 08:47 PM
should be fun. I fiddled around with some of that last summer. It's tougher than it seems to get it to suspend and glide just right

merch
02-14-2009, 09:25 PM
:drool:

I love exploiting work connections.

Send me a few if you think it's too much sanding for you to do alone.

I'm much craftier than I let on. ;)

steelhead
02-15-2009, 08:37 AM
Careful Merch.... You may get what you wish for.:eek:

Got your pikie body done.
She's gonna dig deep.
:cheers:

merch
02-15-2009, 10:53 AM
:)