View Full Version : Planning last fishing trip of the season!

Fishin'rookie
11-06-2000, 05:11 PM
Plan A: I'm thinking of going out one more time sometime this week for cod and winter flounder! I'm thinking of launching in Winthrop and fishing at Bob's triangle, Boston Light, the B-bouy and any other ledges out that way.

Plan B: Launching in Warwick, East Greenwich Bay by Ray's Bait shop, fish for any blues remaining in the Bay, Tog.....maybe heading down towards Pt. Judith, lead core trolling for Blues/Stripers....and looking for cod (if there are any down that way).

I know this is a striper chat page, I hope that I'm not offending anyone with a post of fishing different fish species. I wish I had some large striper stories to share, but so far this year I don't have any! As a first year fisherman I still enjoy bottom fishing, I still get excited every time the rod bends....even if it's only a lowly mackerel!!!!

If anyone else is planning to go fishing in their boat this week or weekend, let me know!

I'm still trying to figure out what type of rod to get for my first Surf-cast set up....what do you guys think of a 10' Ugly stick? (I could use my Penn 6500SS from my boat spinning setup that is on a 7'6" daiwa graphite rod)

Thanks for any tips!

Slipknot
11-06-2000, 06:03 PM
I think that a 10' ugly stick is fine to start out with along with your penn reel. As you become more familiar with surfcasting you may want a couple different rods for different purposes, plugging, eeling, bait ch#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&g etc.

Good luck on your last trip.

Damon M
11-06-2000, 08:06 PM
I would stay away from the ugly stik and spend a few more dollars for a custom 9ft sabre. You can pick one up for about 160 dollars. If you plan on casting eels or plugs, the ugly stik will tire you out in no time. The 9 ft rod will work well with your 6500ss.

Fishin'rookie
11-06-2000, 08:27 PM
Damon....I'm not sure what you mean by saying the ugly stick will tire me out. Does it take more energy to cast it with a eel or plug on the line than the sabre?

What is difference between the sabre and ugly stick? Flexibility,strength,durability?

Thanks!

Slipknot
11-06-2000, 10:00 PM
I think what he means is it is a heavy rod. I have a 9'-custom sabre rod it went for 160 dollars and I love it . It is great for eeling, rated for 1-6 oz. but it is not that great for big fish in the canal . It's good on the beach or if there is slack tide in the canal.

I don't know what you want to spend on a rod but I think he was saying if your gonna buy a rod you might as well get a decent one.

Fishin'rookie
11-07-2000, 12:32 AM
Slipknot, I don't want to spend too much on the rod...will the ugly stick work for slinging eels? If I am only buying one rod for surfcasting should I get a 9' or 10'?

JohnR
11-07-2000, 07:55 AM
If you don't want to spend much for the rod, the Ugly Stick or the Daiwa Sealine Z (jury still out on the guideless rod) are good choices but if you get into surfcasting with any regularity, you will appreciate a custom surf stick. The Sabre is a pretty decent rod, especially for the money. It is also lighter, better balanced, and can be custom fit to you. Probably half the people here have a 9' Sabre 1088 model rod. I prefer the 1089 myself as it has a little more backbone. Most of the Uglys have short butt (handle) sections which can be awkward in surfcasting. I know a few people that have built custom rods on Ugly Stick blanks and are extremely happy but you are not likely to find that in the off the rack models.

If you are really adventerous and have the time, patience, and are good with your hands. You can build a 9' Sabre rod your self for about $90 plus a book or two. And it is very satisfying to catch fish on a rod that you've built... Good Luck!!

Saltheart
11-07-2000, 10:56 AM
Look at www.capecodtackle.com . Mike T shows all kinds of finished rods and blanks for building your own. Hard to beat the Sabre 1088 for all around fishing from the shore. He'll make you a beautiful custom rod for about $160 as mentioned. Its got to be one of the best deals out there.
I have a 9 foot ugly stick that I use as a loaner. Its very durable , was in expensive , and its not bad for throwing lures around 2-3 OZ and bait. I have a Penn 650SS on it. I don't use it but its a nice outfit at a reasonable price and its good for most fishing although not great for anything.

Fishin'rookie
11-08-2000, 08:01 PM
Fishing the Boston Harbor tomorrow! Should be ok weather wise...not much wind (finally), hopefully the rain will hold off until after dark!!

Anyone else going to fish tomorrow??

JohnR
11-09-2000, 08:54 AM
Tomorrow and/or Friday night in Rhody... My last chance at two-handed bass :P

'Rookie - what are you fishing for in Bastin Haba or are you working the south shore???

Fishin'rookie
11-09-2000, 06:31 PM
John R., I went fishing for Cod with my fiance. We fished Ultonia ledge....cought a few cod and some sharks. There were some decent size swells....we went over to three and one half fathoms ledge...more dogfish. My fiance was feeling seasick and had to call it quits after only two hours. All in all a very dissapointing last fishing trip. Now for the pain in the ass part, winterizing the boat!!!

BTW, thanks for the tips....I'm looking into building my own rod, if it is will cost more than $100 I will just buy an ugly stick! I have at least $450 worth of fishing gear that I purchased this year. No one told me that this sport was expensive! If I'm going to have only one surfcasting setup, what would you recommend, a 9' or 10' rod??

Jenn
11-09-2000, 11:29 PM
Yes, I agree it can be an expensive sport especially if you have to travel a ways to the ocean :( like me.....or it can also be a strain when you are also involved in OTHER things too (so little money to spread around) I have learned to tell my family to get together at X-mas/birthdays and all pitch in to get me something that I really want instead of ANOTHER set of glassware or something (got married last year and have WAY too much of that stuff already!!) :)