View Full Version : Skiffs @ the boat show

BasicPatrick
02-17-2009, 10:03 AM
Hey all,

I spend valentines day at the boat show because that is what my honey wanted (yep...I am lucky). I told her we could buy ANYTHING she wanted...lol

I have to say I was a bit bummed at the lack of small skiff's and 23 foot and under fishing platforms. Sure they ahd some higher end stuff but I guess the Industry is betting that only those willign to spend over 100K are left in the market this year.

We were soft shopping for somehting from a skiff to a 20' CC and I wasn't impressed by much at all. No tin boats that I would describe as fishing boats for salt water. I missed G&R Marine!!!!! No Lund Dealer. Eagle & Pike teamed up and had a couple tricked out Carolina's.

The best skiff I saw that has stuck in my head was a Triumph 17' Skiff that is very interesting. A friend almost bought one a few years ago but this current model is huuuuuuuggggeeeee for a 17 foot boat. Three people could easily cast off it without a problem. Did anyone see this and what do people think???? Oh yeah, it is cheeeeaaaappppp!!!!!!

BigFish
02-17-2009, 10:13 AM
You buy cheap, odds are good you are gonna get cheap....especially these days! You get what you pay for I think! I am surprised by the lack of small craft as you say Patrick?? In this economy you would think the dealers would be catering to the skiff crowd a bit more and let the big dollar boats sell themselves??

fishbones
02-17-2009, 11:00 AM
Patrick, I think I saw an ad for the Triumph 17' skiff with motor and trailer for under $13k. That's a great deal for that boat. One thing I noticed in the pics of the boat was that it didn't look like it had any flush mounted rod holders. Did you notice any at the show?

Big Dave
02-17-2009, 12:50 PM
Patrick
I have to admit I am not surprised about the lack of small boats and boat displays as the show. I recently spoke with someone who owns a a marina on the cape, who also happens to be a boat dealer. He said his boats sales for expensive la-dee-da boats although slow are still selling, but his sales of decent new and used low price fishing platforms is in the toilet. Hard to target an audience of tire kickers.

zacs
02-17-2009, 02:24 PM
He said his boats sales for expensive la-dee-da boats although slow are still selling, but his sales of decent new and used low price fishing platforms is in the toilet.

I think this is because over the last 5-8yrs, with the booming real estate market, many many people got into these smaller 18-23 footers by way of s#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&g at the home equity pump. now, with the market & economy in the sh|tter, a ton of these boats are flooding the used market as these people become desperate for cash.

Therefore, the used market is the place to look... you can get such good deals on lightly used 2 or 3 year old 18-23 footers, it would be crazy to look at new. And most will still have 2 or 3 yr. left on warranty on the motors. Unless you want something completely custom.

jmho.

Zac

CaptMike
02-18-2009, 08:31 AM
I'm sure you can get a good deal on her. Look closely at triumph first. These are the poly boats (not fiberglass). They are very durable but they have a lot of flex in them. I know the bigger ones need a special trailer and must be picked up in a certain way by a forklift. I don't know if that's true for the smaller ones. I've heard a lot of good and bad about them so just make sure it's something you like.

Hooper
02-19-2009, 04:52 PM
Hey all,

I spend valentines day at the boat show because that is what my honey wanted (yep...I am lucky). I told her we could buy ANYTHING she wanted...lol

I have to say I was a bit bummed at the lack of small skiff's and 23 foot and under fishing platforms. Sure they ahd some higher end stuff but I guess the Industry is betting that only those willign to spend over 100K are left in the market this year.

We were soft shopping for somehting from a skiff to a 20' CC and I wasn't impressed by much at all. No tin boats that I would describe as fishing boats for salt water. I missed G&R Marine!!!!! No Lund Dealer. Eagle & Pike teamed up and had a couple tricked out Carolina's.

The best skiff I saw that has stuck in my head was a Triumph 17' Skiff that is very interesting. A friend almost bought one a few years ago but this current model is huuuuuuuggggeeeee for a 17 foot boat. Three people could easily cast off it without a problem. Did anyone see this and what do people think???? Oh yeah, it is cheeeeaaaappppp!!!!!!

Patrick,

Check these out, they are made by Chris Roth of the Roth-Bilt boats. They are new and apparently they are offering there first few boats at a pretty fair price to get them out there:

http://www.rothboats.com/index.html

Big Dave
02-19-2009, 06:38 PM
I say this respectfully. I looked at those skiffs, Honestly a great name and I am sure the quality matches. But when I look at them I personally don't see the value. I'm sure a lot of people do, But for a boat motor and trailer its about 19 grand less tax. I just cant see to part with that kind of money for a boat like that. Sure makes the used boat market look very appealing.

Hooper
02-19-2009, 09:25 PM
I say this respectfully. I looked at those skiffs, Honestly a great name and I am sure the quality matches. But when I look at them I personally don't see the value. I'm sure a lot of people do, But for a boat motor and trailer its about 19 grand less tax. I just cant see to part with that kind of money for a boat like that. Sure makes the used boat market look very appealing.

You're not offending me, I'm not affiliated with them in any way, just sending some info Pat's way. I don't buy new boats either.

His other line of boats, the Roth-Bilt, are in the mid 30K range for an 18' skiff, by comparison this seems cheap.

Van
02-19-2009, 10:18 PM
I don't know Patrick !!
I went last night and the prices even for an inflatable with oars was insane. 5 figures for an open skiff with a tiny outboard and NO accessories. I see how "affordable boating really is" now....
Good Luck

I know a guy working the show who sold a 30+ footer for over 220K.

Now I know where my 401K money went....:nailem:

gf2020
02-20-2009, 12:00 AM
I was at the show on Wednesday and I thought that new 17' Pro-Lite (made by Pro-Line) looked pretty good for the price.

http://www.proliteboats.com/Boats/cc17.html

It had pretty low freeboard but for a low maintenance, working boat it might not be too bad.

EricW
02-20-2009, 07:42 AM
I've been in a 17 foot triumph, they used to be called logic marine.

They are nice little boats. They are made out of ropeline (sp) which is some type of indestructible material? A fair amount of room to move around, not tons of storage but it has a few compartments for stuff under seats and in console. Good for two guys to fish the harbor. The one I was in didn't have rod holders, we had to improvise. Ride was a little bumpy and wet in a chop. Went about 24 mph with a 50 etec on it.

blue oyster
02-22-2009, 11:57 AM
i made the mistake of buying an inexpensive boat several years ago (my first boat) i bought a 17 seapro and i could not get rid of it fast enough , always got wet , free board to low , casting platform usless in the harbor unless you wanted to go swimming , sub quality wiring , ect . i spent the money and bought an 18 parker and its 10 times the boat the seapro ever was . best advice i could give would be hold off buying and try to hitch a ride on as many boats as you can till you can form your own opinion . good luck

Hooper
02-22-2009, 07:20 PM
i made the mistake of buying an inexpensive boat several years ago (my first boat) i bought a 17 seapro and i could not get rid of it fast enough , always got wet , free board to low , casting platform usless in the harbor unless you wanted to go swimming , sub quality wiring , ect . i spent the money and bought an 18 parker and its 10 times the boat the seapro ever was . best advice i could give would be hold off buying and try to hitch a ride on as many boats as you can till you can form your own opinion . good luck

Good post blue oyster