View Full Version : The 60 Year Old Virgin

Crafty Angler
02-25-2009, 01:32 PM
Well, at least in terms of trying to learn FF a little late in the game, anyway...:doh:

Been threatening to try it every season for the last 20 years or so but never made good on it - not like I'm working on my bucket list, but I thought I'd like to try to add something new to my repertoire

Picked up a 9' 9wt Loomis GL3 for short money recently and figured it was worth a shot. Iron Mike gave me a Battenkill a few years back, think it has sinking line on it - also won a flybox stuffed with probably 50 or 60 SW flies a few years back from the Other Site and they probably cover all the styles from Clousers and Deceivers thru bunker, mullet and shrimp flies.

I've always had lots of tying materials in my tackle room and have read a number of books -

Had one casting lesson maybe a dozen years ago - anybody got any recommendation for a geezer noobie?

I guess maintaining my ability to laugh at myself should be pretty near the top...:hihi:

Travis
02-25-2009, 01:55 PM
Well, at least in terms of trying to learn FF a little late in the game, anyway...:doh:

Been threatening to try it every season for the last 20 years or so but never made good on it - not like I'm working on my bucket list, but I thought I'd like to try to add something new to my repertoire

Picked up a 9' 9wt Loomis GL3 for short money recently and figured it was worth a shot. Iron Mike gave me a Battenkill a few years back, think it has sinking line on it - also won a flybox stuffed with probably 50 or 60 SW flies a few years back from the Other Site and they probably cover all the styles from Clousers and Deceivers thru bunker, mullet and shrimp flies.

I've always had lots of tying materials in my tackle room and have read a number of books -

Had one casting lesson maybe a dozen years ago - anybody got any recommendation for a geezer noobie?

I guess maintaining my ability to laugh at myself should be pretty near the top...:hihi:

Patience is the key...and of course, a good sense of humor couple with a tolerance for pain(you'll know what I mean when you start throwing clowsers with a cross wind).

Casting wise -

Keep your thumb in line with the spine of the rod. Just watch the line, start small. Keep a good feel for what the rod is telling you. When the line is straight out, you will feel the rod load, then you can start bringing the line in the opposite direction. I am sure you have read plenty about this, I just notice that most people starting out fly fishing are not patient enough to wait for the rod to fully load before reversing, so be patient. Other than than, if you have any specific questions...shoot.

Best of luck...have fun.

Moron_Saxatilis
02-25-2009, 02:16 PM
Let the rod do the work and timing will come. Biggest mistake is going to fast and trying to make the line move using your arms instead of the loading of the rod from the force of the line. I still go too fast when trying for distance or when I get excited with fishes nearby. :fishin:

Moron_Saxatilis
02-25-2009, 02:17 PM
um, basically what Travis said...

Travis
02-25-2009, 02:26 PM
Oh yea...many people could debate this, but I recommend going barbless. I fold flat the barb on all of my flies. This is not because I am some die hard C&R (even though I am primarily C&R) or because I don't want to hurt the little "sea kittens", it is because I have hooked myself too many times and it is much easier to get a hook out of your neck, arm, back, oh yea I got one in the leg once too...

Also, as long as you keep the tip up, the fly rods have action that makes it easy to keep steady consistant pressure on the fish, so you very very rarely come unbuttoned due to the lack of barbs.

Short Story- My dad once got a big fly stuck in his nose which he had to go to the ER to get removed it was in so bad...not exactly a proud moment...

Scout
02-25-2009, 06:12 PM
Where are you located? Maybe a Fly Fishin" Club in your area can help. Here on L.I. we have a good one that has casting lessons.

striperman36
02-25-2009, 06:22 PM
look up kenny abrames in your area, he fishes the salt, has his own site.

Roger
02-25-2009, 08:38 PM

If you're in my neck of the woods I'd be happy to give you a few free lessons. It's got to be after April 15 though.

saltfly
02-25-2009, 09:28 PM
sinking line is not really a good line to practice with at the beginning.Ask around,see if somone near you has an old floating line they don't use that will match the rod.Then do alittle lawn casting.Then go to the local pond and lay it out on the water and practice.If you don't have a freshwater license cut the bend of the hook off[cause your fishing otherwise].

Crafty Angler
02-26-2009, 09:04 AM
Thanks, men - I really appreciate the advice and offers of help - :kewl:

Roger, thanks for the offer on lessons, I may take you up on it - I'm thinking I may prevail upon either Capt. Corey or Steve Cook at the Edge for guidance locally too - I've heard the hardest thing to do is unlearn bad habits you taught yourself at the outset - so maybe I can bribe them - or thank them - with some old fish pictures...;) I know those guys are going to be busy trying to get their own season underway too -

I've read Kenny Abrames and attended one of his seminars, Bill - very valuable info without a doubt

Saltfly - The line recommendation is duly noted - I had heard that before - also had heard a recommendation that you use a line wt. one up from the rod rating to facilitate loading the rod on the cast - I've got several nice wide open parks a short walk away from home here where I figure I can practice right by the water, too -

Figure I've got time to re-read stuff now since I completely reamed and cleaned my tackle room and can actually find stuff again - and what I have left to finish off to get ready for this season of regular surfcasting is already well underway - my whole attitude is going to be patience and keep it fun

An old Chinese philosopher said a man who can laugh at himself will never be without a source of amusement - so I figure I ought to be able to keep myself in stitches for a while...:hihi:

Thanks again, you guys - :wave:

jredfly
02-26-2009, 07:43 PM
The guys at Orvis in Boston over at Fanuel Hall were very helpful and there was no sales pressure. They will even take you across the street to the little park for a quick lesson. They had some good instructional videos too. When I started getting into fly fishing last year they had some good free seminars and sales in May. License or no license it is a good idea to cut at the bend of the hook when first practicing. Good Luck and have fun!

Raven
02-27-2009, 05:36 AM
how's your shoulder these days?

Crafty Angler
02-27-2009, 08:54 AM
how's your shoulder these days?

Shoulder's good to go, Rav - got a little physical conditioning to do, gonna walk the Cliffs once the weather starts to break, got the new mountain bike set to go, too -

Got some 10# weights I'm gonna use for arm strength anyway, just reps and curls - no joint or ligament problems but I have been raiding the pups glucosimine stash as a preventative the last several weeks -

Gotta get over this crud first before I do much of anything though - not out of the woods yet on that...:hs:

Joe
02-27-2009, 09:19 AM
Practice casting in the yard for extended periods before going out and fishing for a long time. Elbow and shoulder injuries are common if you are under trained.
I think its better for people to come from traditional surfcasting backgrounds then to fly fishing. I think a lot of people who came to fly fishing first migrated over to surfcasting because of the difficulty involved in finding fish within 100 feet. Your experience makes you a perfect canidate to take the sport.
http://www.fishteezer.com/popup/images/fly_wwwitch_t.jpg
You're in the right place. Cliff fishing with the fly rod is very effective.
My favorite fly is the White Water Witch - which was developed by an Aquidneck Island fly fisherman for cliff fishing. This one is tied too long for my liking - but it's easy tie. The black presents a contrasty silhouette in the white water.

falkners
02-27-2009, 09:41 AM
Spring is a great time to practice with the flyrod as fish can be caught in the daytime...a much better time to learn flycasting. There are plenty of eager schoolies in an estuary near you I am sure. Also, the Gl3 you have is a very forgiving flyrod...not too fast and not too slow. I would overline it with a 10 wt intermediate and use it greased to float or ungreased. It will balance your rod and make casting much easier. Leader...nothing fancy 4' of 30 or 40 lb and 2-2 1/2' of 17-20 lb. I like loop to loop connections. Don't start out throwing clousers (although they are effective in the spring) as they will require a little bit of timing in your casting and may discourage or even hurt you. A small Deciever will match the early season bait and cast much easier. Go have some fun.

falkners
02-27-2009, 12:59 PM
One thing I forgot to mention is get or make yourself a stripping basket. Line control is one of the most difficult things to master and not something that spin fisherman have to learn to deal with. I know there are different schools of thought about the need for a basket but until you master the basics a basket is essential particularly if you fish rocky areas. I have tried ,bought and made many different ones over the years but a tupperware or rubbermaid container attached to your waist with a bungy cord is all you really need.

Crafty Angler
02-28-2009, 09:58 AM
Practice casting in the yard for extended periods before going out and fishing for a long time. Elbow and shoulder injuries are common if you are under trained.
I think its better for people to come from traditional surfcasting backgrounds then to fly fishing. I think a lot of people who came to fly fishing first migrated over to surfcasting because of the difficulty involved in finding fish within 100 feet. Your experience makes you a perfect canidate to take the sport.
http://www.fishteezer.com/popup/images/fly_wwwitch_t.jpg
You're in the right place. Cliff fishing with the fly rod is very effective.
My favorite fly is the White Water Witch - which was developed by an Aquidneck Island fly fisherman for cliff fishing. This one is tied too long for my liking - but it's easy tie. The black presents a contrasty silhouette in the white water.

Thanks again, guys - all good points, I'm going to print this thread so I can refer back to it -

Thanks, Joe, the Witch is a Ray Smith fly if memory serves - I know his patterns are highly respected - I'm gonna have to go over the flies in the boxful I won and see if there's one in there - if not, it doesn't look too far above my current competency level in tying - but that remains to be seen too, I suppose...:hihi:

Pinching barbs and cutting the point of my practice fly -definitely -

Wasn't sure about the strippping basket issue but figured where I fish it's going to be a necessity to avoid getting hung up -

Thanks again, starting to feel well enough to start reading and rifling thru my tackle room again - :kewl:

Raven
02-28-2009, 02:08 PM
Shoulder's good to go, Rav -

Gotta get over this crud first before I do much of anything though - not out of the woods yet on that...:hs:
------------------------------------------------------------------------
i'm out of the woods already...and its from Eating two large Naval oranges each day for the last 6 days and i drank a gallon of apple cider followed by scheshwan (sp) chinese food {(hot)} and spicy

we just retrieved van from Carver...cost of going to plug fest :think:with repairs including an unexpected motel visit in Plymouth .....
$500 Bucks :hs:

i came away with two kits and one plug...given to me
it is now my $500 dollar go to plug :alien: :conf::fishslap::scream: *wink

Crafty Angler
02-28-2009, 03:40 PM
------------------------------------------------------------------------
we just retrieved van from Carver...cost of going to plug fest :think:with repairs including an unexpected motel visit in Plymouth .....
$500 Bucks :hs:

i came away with two kits and one plug...given to me
it is now my $500 dollar go to plug :alien: :conf::fishslap::scream: *wink

Best of luck with that plug, Rav...:hs:

The first day when I was so sick I couldn't get out of bed - last Sunday - I got a call from the Newport PD

THey called to tell me my new (well, new to me) Jeep which was a 99 in #$%&@# showroom condition that I just got last July for short money - had been side-swiped by a fire dept ladder truck - been too sick to get an estimate yet - gotta be an easy $2 K worth of damage....:wall:

I understand the concept of adding insult to injury now...:doh:

Raven
02-28-2009, 03:53 PM
- gotta be an easy $2 K worth of damage....:wall:

I understand the concept of adding insult to injury now...:doh:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
the van is still running Like Crap
and has to go see my mechanic next

i told the guy there what ever you do
don't let this mofo van :point: lock you out...

it'll do it in less than a minute...seeing as how
the driver's window was temporarily silver taped shut....
as sumthin broke.. inside recently

anyway's, to make a long story shorter
he did... locked himself out
i had post it notes on both sides
to remind him too :hs:

nobody listens anymore.... :doh:

in fact when i find someone who's actually
truly listening....... i find it very refreshing..

OutNumbered is such a person :uhuh: