View Full Version : Proposed NJ Saltwater Fishing License

Jimbo
01-03-2003, 01:17 PM
Don't know if anyone else has heard of this, but it just burns me up they'd even let government consider doing it. The recreational fishing industry already generates a ton of revenue for the state. If anyone is interested in the online petition, even if you're not from New Jersey, I think it'd be great to respond. There's a section in the petition for comments.

Happy New Year.
It looks like we may have to start the new year in NJ with a battle.
The State is pushing to implement a Salt Water Fishing License in NJ. There is a website doing a petition to fight this...

http://www.fishbuzz.homestead.com/petition.html

striperondafly
01-03-2003, 02:16 PM
Yup - signed it. Total bs they would even think about it.

fishsmith
01-03-2003, 02:44 PM
#2616 - I hate the thought of a saltwater fishing licence, in any state. I agree with freshwater licences because of the stocking programs, but I don't see any saltwater fish being stocked, and if they were, whats keeping them in state waters?

JohnR
01-04-2003, 07:28 AM
There are a lot of things that I like about saltwater licenses provided the money is cheap but I'm only familiar with 3 states that have decent ones Cali, Fla, & Viginia. Well Virginia was OK until the legislature stole the money FROM saltwater fishing & used it in the general fund, porking their local DEM...

The big problem with these licenses is the money rarely goes to where it should. And there are other ways to raise money too...

Mr. Sandman
01-04-2003, 08:50 AM
There is no need for a sw lic. I view it like a free national forest. It is open to everone, rich, poor whatever. We don't need "another tax", just re-direct the general $pot$ towards coastal matters. Do do this you need to vote in people who give a damn about fishing.

Any taxes or fees will not go to what you think they will ESP. in RI!!! case in point: RI (along with every other state) got millions of $ from the big tabacco settlement last year (bogus or not they go the $). This money was origianlly targeted to support cancer hospitals, smoking clinics and education programs to help people stop and not start smoking. The money was to be paid out over a 10 or 20 year period. RI, in their great wisdom, cashed out for less then 50 cents on the dollar to pay the past years budget deficit. (they basically sold a bond to get the cash now) The money is gone now. I could not believe they would do such a thing...it shows remarkable stupidity. Don't believe for one second that any money you pay for a fishing licence will go for fishing....it will not.

JohnR
01-04-2003, 09:05 AM
Mr Sandman - it's worth far more for a Pol to show the constituency that it can come close to balancing a budget for the here & now then save it for stopping kids from smoking 10 years down the road when that Pol has retired to South Kingstown...

It's not being shortsighted, just greedy for the pat on the back...

I'm not against a small fee like $5-10 if it goes to better enforcement, access, better data & multi-lingual regulations (so EVERYONE must understand the regs). I am firmly against about every license proposal that is a grab for money or cannot be guarranteed to purely support SW rec fishing...

FishTales
01-04-2003, 12:47 PM
I agree with you John as far as a small fee BUT doesn't it restrict someone the freedom to drop a line in any state they are in without buying a permit in every state if the rest are soon to follow ?:smash:

JohnR
01-04-2003, 05:56 PM
BUT doesn't it restrict someone the freedom to drop a line in any state Probably but that is where a provision could be made between states to honor other state licenses. You get bordering states to honor each other....

Van
01-07-2003, 03:51 PM
Oh Oh,....

Subject: PRESS RELEASE

For immediate release: January 7, 2002
609-294-3315

RFA Opposed to Recreational Saltwater Fishing License in NJ

A recent study by an independent consulting firm investigating potential new revenue sources for the NJ Division of Fish and Wildlife proposed that a recreational saltwater fishing license may be the answer. The study has created a wave of debate throughout the state with many viewing a license as an unnecessary tax. The Recreational Fishing Alliance (RFA) is currently opposed to a recreational saltwater fishing license in NJ.

"Clearly, the funding for conservation and management of NJ marine resources is inadequate," said Jim Donofrio, RFA Executive Director. "But recreational fishermen should not be bear the burden of increasing the state budget when we already contribute over $50 million in state sales taxes and over $2 billion to the state's economy overall." In addition, recreational fishermen already pay federal excise taxes on boat fuel, fishing rods, reels and tackle.

The State Division of Fish and Wildlife is seeking to increase its Marine Fisheries Administration budget from $3.5 million to $9.45 million and increase its staff from 44 to 108 to enforce fisheries regulations and conduct research. The study says NJ could raise around $6 million a year by imposing a license on anglers.

"Recreational fishing adds a lot to our quality of life here in NJ. A license could turn a lot of people off," said Mr. Donofrio. "Our recreational fishing industry depends on public participation so a license could end up hurting boat builders, party and charter boat businesses, bait and tackle shop owners, as well as NJ tourism."

"It's hard to justify a recreational saltwater license when the fish we target migrate in and out of our state waters and most are harvested by both recreational and commercial fishermen," said Herb Moore, Jr., RFA Director of Government Affairs. "Take summer flounder, one of NJ's most popular recreational fish. Sixty percent of the catch is allocated to the commercial sector while recreational fishermen are left with only forty percent."

Some license advocates say the creation of a saltwater license would give anglers more clout in Trenton. "Political power comes from getting organized and campaigning," said Michael Doebley, RFA Deputy Director of Government Affairs. "Five of the fourteen Atlantic seaboard states currently have a recreational saltwater license and it hasn't given anglers the clout they deserve."

"RFA recognizes the need for more funding for research and management programs in NJ but this shouldn't come on the backs of recreational fishermen," said Mr. Donofrio. "The state should support other methods of funding such as a special striped bass license plate and a conservation lottery where revenue goes to the Division of Fish and Wildlife. Also, it may be time for the state to increase expenditures for an industry that contributes so much to the NJ economy."

RFA will be contacting members for input not only in NJ but also members in Pennsylvania who spend countless hours and dollars at the Jersey Shore pursuing their favorite fish.

The Recreational Fishing Alliance (RFA) is a national, grassroots political action organization representing individual sport fishermen and the sport fishing industry. The RFA Mission is to safeguard the rights of saltwater anglers, protect marine, boat and tackle industry jobs and ensure the long-term sustainability of U.S. saltwater fisheries. For more information, call 1-888-JOIN-RFA.

JohnR
01-07-2003, 04:46 PM
Well Van - yoo beat me to it :nono: - I was going to put that up too...

Anyone know if the License Plate issues has picked up any steam in Rhody?