View Full Version : Guess I just have to keep trying...

wendy
05-03-2000, 06:51 PM
Well, Bill offered me some good advice yesterday. Unfortunately, I didn't understand a word he wrote. He mentioned a grub with a half ounce of something on it? Anyway, I opted for the old stand by-a dozen worms and a couple of squid. Bait in hand , I treked to the west wall just in time for low tide. The water was beautiful and the wind was calm. 2&1/2 hours later I packed up my gear and my dog( I brought my mini long haired dachshund along. She loves the water and raw squid) and headed on home. I had forgotten how tiring it is being out in the sun on the water. I was almost falling asleep on the ride home. It was a very nice day and I'm looking forward to a productive season. I'm also looking forward to trying different areas. Oh, by the way, the skates are thick. They particularly seemed to like the squid. You learn something new every day!

eelman
05-03-2000, 09:12 PM
Sorry to hear you had no luck.But a bad day fishing is better than a good day at work!!If you stop at any local tackle store and ask for some jigs they will know what you want.

Be sure to tell them you want all white one half ounce "upperman jig's". Then ask for a package of white plastic tails to put on the jig's,you will want five inch curltail grubs.

Go to the wall about 6pm during an incoming tide,the next two nights should be perfect! You will catch fish!!! Simply cast the jig out,and reel it back in slowly.I wish I could put a picture up of what the jigs look like but, if you ask them for what I told you ,you'll be ok.

Good luck!

JohnR
05-03-2000, 09:14 PM
You can go to a local tackle shop, and ask them for "bucktail jigs" and/or " jig heads/soft plastics" What they are is a hook with lead cast around the front to give them weight. The shape of the lead sometimes determines the specific name. The "Smilin' Bill" has a nearly round lead head with a mouth cut into it, the bullet head is cast in the shape of a bullet. There are many varieties of jig heads to be found, some like "bucktails" have hair, usually white, which are tied on to the jig head. This gives the lure body to help simulate bait. Also, often slid partially over the hook is a " grub tail " which creates more movement to the lure. Others use the jig head without the hair but attach a soft plastic like a "slug-go" or small shad body. These also have an action which can be irresistable to a striped bass.

Make sure that when you are fishing the wall, you face west, away from the channel...

Wendy
05-05-2000, 05:56 PM
I wish I could get out there this weekend, but i have to work. I will try to get out that way Sunday when I finish my weekend. I get off at 6:00pm. Are there any bait shops it the area open that late? I stopped at one right before Matunuck Beach the other day , but I forgot to check the hours. Thank you both!-Wendy

eelman
05-05-2000, 08:58 PM
I dont know where you live, but, your best bet is quaker lane bait&tackle in north kingstown for late hours.I think they are open till 7pm.All the other shops near matunuck close up around five.