View Full Version : another QUESTION ?

saltydog
03-03-2009, 04:56 PM
I don't own any SURFSTERS outher than the BIG one GOLDENBEAR made for me in the SWAP:lm: QUESTION IS iwant to build a few HOW are they WEIGHTED:mad: THANK YOU
GOOD LUCK GOOD PLUGGIN
P.S. here is the one I got, I put the tail one it got this thing for TAIL.
CUSTOM made lip, it's about 8.1/2 long an 1.1/2 wide an one SUPER PAINT JOB.

The Dad Fisherman
03-03-2009, 06:10 PM
QUESTION IS iwant to build a few HOW are they WEIGHTED.

They Ain't......

numbskull
03-03-2009, 07:11 PM
This thread has info http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/showthread.php?t=47539&highlight=troublemaker

Striperhound
03-03-2009, 08:41 PM
no weight, I toyed around with a touch just under the chin to keep the head down and tail up both work.

justplugit
03-03-2009, 09:34 PM
A good heavy surfster lip is all you need. :)

Mr. Krinkle
03-04-2009, 07:37 AM
What conditions do you like to fish surfsters? I never fish them.

BigFish
03-04-2009, 07:44 AM
My "Prey" swimmer which is a surfster has a belly weight. I have tried other surfsters and did not like the wide roll they had. The weight cuts down the roll and adds a sexy wiggle action at least in my case......not traditional sure but I find the action alot more to my liking and the fish seem to agree. :btu:

I fish mine in all conditions.....day, night, calm water or rough, fish it in the Canal with great success! Stormy rough water it seems to excell in.....nightime it crushes!

go4broke44
03-04-2009, 10:14 AM
Larry you fish them in the canal? at slack, or when its running?

gldnbear93
03-04-2009, 10:40 AM
that one has no wieght in it. I considered putting some in the belly to cust some of the roll, but I liked the roll with the white sides-lots of flash.
from what I have seen and fished, except for Larry's prey, the surfsters ahve no weight, just a heavy lip.

Raven
03-04-2009, 10:49 AM
adds a sexy wiggle action at least in my case...........nightime it crushes!

:drool:

BigFish
03-04-2009, 11:54 AM
Larry you fish them in the canal? at slack, or when its running?

Both! Swimmer was with me one day when the current was pushing its hardest and I was catching fish after fish. Lost an early season slob on one in a hard current! They are perfect for the canal! I fish them there almost as much as pencils and spooks and at slack........:drool:!

Canalman
03-04-2009, 12:41 PM
Funny, because I have known them to contain a tailweight. Also, the originals had huge hooks which I THINK served to stabilize the roll. Someone asked me to reweight a few commercially made surfsters, saying that they didn;t cast properly and were prone to rolling out on the retrieve. I put a 00 buck shot a touch behind center and added 5/16 tailweight from M&D, the thing swam much tighter and cast a lot better--the guy was happy with the result--but I have never swam an original so, I don't know.

Rockfish9
03-04-2009, 12:45 PM
Creek chub tail weighted some of thier latter Salt water surfsters... I make some tail weighted, and some of the action is lost, on these models I make the tail thicker... on my standard surfsters, I make the tail thin and chin weight it, I like that tail slapping side to side, weighted this way, they create quite a ruckus....

Mugz
03-04-2009, 03:57 PM
One of my favorite plugs.......I weight under the chin as well (someone gave me that tip...:kewl:) Swims pissah....sick action.

saltydog
03-04-2009, 05:03 PM
WOW, THANK YOU ALL for the comments, I got 6 I carved up an sanded an think Ill put a 00 just back from center as suggested :humpty: it's still all new to me,:rollem: these will be my first,if they S@%K an don't swim good, Ill give them to the kids on the beach, that"al keep them out of my BAG.:bshake: THANKS AGAIN Ill post when done.
GOOD LUCK GOOD PLUGGIN:wave:

The Dad Fisherman
03-04-2009, 07:08 PM
Since ya got 6.....2 unweighted, 2 chin weighted, and 2 center/tail weighted.......then you can choose which ones you like better

ThrowingTimber
03-04-2009, 07:34 PM
Salty just try and do them up with diff. weight configurations to see which works best for where you plan to fish them :huh:

saltydog
03-07-2009, 06:29 AM
2.2.an 2. got -it:bounce:

don't know what Id do with out you guys THINING for ME.:jump:

OK, now that you guys had a hand in buiding them what colors should I do them in:shocked:

GOOD LUCK GOOD PLUGGIN
P.S DAD do you still have some POPPERs for MEEEEEEEEEEEE !

Tagger
03-07-2009, 08:39 AM
Paint on that plug is very Chumbucket like ..

Swimmer
03-07-2009, 10:47 AM
That day in the canal of which Bigfish spoke of I caught also on the Surfster I was using. Worked well. Caught fish that day in slack water elsewhere too.

stripercrazy
03-07-2009, 04:06 PM
I've build a few and thought I made the body too fat(no weight) they rolled too much for me but they looked good..ha ha ha...so now I build them thinner...or just fish a pikie:cheers: