View Full Version : BW 4 Tube Bag Mods

Chris in Mass
03-07-2009, 11:17 AM
Always liked this bag and gonna use it this year when I'm eeling in deeper water. Only need a few plugs and bucktails when eels are the main bait. Had to make a few mods to keep it tight. Watched a few You Tube vids on sewing (first knot and last knot are the same McKenna uses on Sluggos :hf1:). Also got out the Ashley Book of Knots for some rope splicing. Gonna keep connected to back of belt when not in use.

Chris in Mass
03-07-2009, 11:19 AM
The splicing:

maddog2020
03-07-2009, 12:00 PM
Nice job there, Chris! Looks like you used a pet leash or something? <g> Some places sell just webbing like REI or EMS for example or Jo-anne Fabrics. (not to say it is less $ since I haven't compared prices). Looks like you are going to be wet suit fishing with that bag or you are over cautious of your $$ plugs ...... LOL.

Where you used the Fireline to tie your knots: try coating the knots with some super (Zap-A-Gap) bonder/finger nail polish or something to stop the knots from coming undone. I use waxed carpet thread a lot of times to sew stuf, but some scrap worn out PowerPro does great job, too.

Lot of times the edge of the bag is too floppy/not stiff enough so I will run a bead of the Zap-A-Gap just to stiffen it up. Just wipe off excess and always wear some kind of disposable glove. A big blob of glue can heat up and could get hot enough to set a fire! Do in well ventilated area of course. :D

I swapped out my stock straps with wider ones just so it didn't dig into my shoulder so much. I tend to overload my bag so it weighs 2X as heavy than one would think. ;) I found some on close out last year which were made to hold big travel rod tubes for like $3. I butchered the thing up just for parts - save lots on the Fastex buckles that way. I think I have an extra assembly if you want it - just pop over next time when you are in the area.

Those brass/bronze clips you can find for cheap at Building 19 at times or Ocean State Job lot of $1 each where as I know they are much more at Home Depot or Monnick Supply. I have been using things like that for over 30 yrs.

I need to do something with a couple of my own bags - just haven't gotten around to it. ;)

Chris in Mass
03-07-2009, 07:51 PM
Hey Ray - How's it going. Hope all is well - it's been awhile. Got some deep wading spots and gonna try some some wetsuting - nothing where I can't touch bottom. Using the clips mainly to stop the bag from swinging around.

You have a keen eye picking up on the Fireline. I hade some spare and I used it to do the sewing as well. I'll lube up the knots with some Zap - Good Idea.

Caught me on the pet collar. What gave it away - the paw prints :bl: Picked that up for like a $1.80 at Harbor Freight. Also picked up the stainless clips there too for $2.00 a piece.

Talk to you soon

bloocrab
03-08-2009, 07:22 AM
I'm not familiar with that bag, but if you plan on fishing deeper water, aren't you concerned about the eeels escaping? If you're in over your waist, the bag will be submerged eh?....won't they be able to escape from the top?

Chris in Mass
03-08-2009, 07:57 AM
I'm not familiar with that bag, but if you plan on fishing deeper water, aren't you concerned about the eeels escaping? If you're in over your waist, the bag will be submerged eh?....won't they be able to escape from the top?

I'll have the eels in a mesh bag in the belt. The plug bag will be for a couple of plugs/bucktails/leaders. Wanted something small when primarily using eels - The Edge carries them - cheap BW Sports bag.

basswipe
03-08-2009, 09:33 AM
That is absolutely awesome.

Nice.Very nice.

reebok
03-08-2009, 11:05 AM
What tool did you use to do the sewing... was it easy?

Chris in Mass
03-08-2009, 11:46 AM
Hey Thanks BW - fun project.

Reebok, I used a about 1.5" needle big enough confortably hold 30lb Fireline. Used the backstitch. Doubled over about 18" after threading the needle and took the two loose ends together and tied an overhand knot. Just like the first step in the rigged Sluggo. After that you can check out various stitching videos on the backstitch.

Here's one from the Dharma Initiative :D
http://www.monkeysee.com/play/2147-sewing-the-back-stitch

reebok
03-08-2009, 11:53 AM
Thanks!

bloocrab
03-08-2009, 04:09 PM
I'll have the eels in a mesh bag in the belt. ///

gotcha,...
I was under the impression you were going to dump the eels in the larger bag.

Good Job

Flaptail
03-08-2009, 05:00 PM
Wow! That's a great idea!

Chris in Mass
03-09-2009, 09:21 AM
Thanks Flap. If your talking about the rope. The idea came from Hunter, who has built in two clips at the bottom corner of his bags for the same purpose.

On the extra strap: I always like the price/functionality of the BW bags, but felt they are short on Velcro. Also, they may not hold up as long as say a Van Staal bag, but this won't be my everytrip bag anyway.