View Full Version : Wierd pond pump behavior

spence
03-08-2009, 02:39 PM
I left my new pond running as long as I could this winter, eventually having to shut it off when the ice buildup was really extreme in December. I left the pump in my skimmer though, thinking there was no way it would freeze more than a few inches.

When I tried to start it up a few weeks ago the pump acted in a very wierd manner. Basically it would just push a trickle of water. If I disconnected the hose and let it run inside the skimmer it would push a little water for 5 minutes and then increase to a normal flow. If I then reconnected the hose it would operate as normal for 5-10 minutes and then return to a trickle.

So I left it shut off the past few weeks.

Today I started it up again and it took a while but it's been running all day just fine.

Any ideas on why it would do this? I'm pretty sure there was no blockages anywhere.

On a good note, all my fish survived even though my pond isn't terribly deep and was iced over for several months. I did use one of those floating heaters so there was always some open water.

-spence

tattoobob
03-08-2009, 02:43 PM
Maybe there was some slush in it, or if it has oil in it the oil may have been thick from the cold, just a guess though

5/0
03-08-2009, 07:45 PM
It sounds as thou it can't handle the added pressure/restriction of the hose.
Sounds like maybe the motor took a hit due to ice pressure it could of damaged some of the motor windings,how's the impeller is all of the fins attached?
Sorry, flying blind I'd have to see it.

spence
03-08-2009, 08:01 PM
From what I can see the pump has no issues, I even took it apart and inspected everything.

It's still running fine tonight...I'm just worried something might be wrong that's going to haunt me later. Very strange behavior.

-spence

striperman36
03-08-2009, 08:28 PM
Buckman strikes, must be made by a GOP run company, offshored manuacgturing to help with the Iraqi work effort profit margin.

spence
03-08-2009, 08:41 PM
Buckman strikes, must be made by a GOP run company, offshored manuacgturing to help with the Iraqi work effort profit margin.

That was my initial thought, but why would the pump then continue to work?

If it was really a Buckman ploy, the pump would have caused great frustration then ultimately failed.

Unless, the failure is yet to come. I'd say if it goes for another day and then dies I'll be ruined. Just as He planned...

-spence

fishbones
03-08-2009, 08:46 PM
Well, if it's a pump designed and built by liberals, it wouldn't work at all. There wouldn't be any incentive for it too.

striperman36
03-08-2009, 09:27 PM
Well, if it's a pump designed and built by liberals, it wouldn't work at all. There wouldn't be any incentive for it too.
Just as long as it continues to get electricity why work.

striperman36
03-08-2009, 09:28 PM
That was my initial thought, but why would the pump then continue to work?

If it was really a Buckman ploy, the pump would have caused great frustration then ultimately failed.

Unless, the failure is yet to come. I'd say if it goes for another day and then dies I'll be ruined. Just as He planned...

-spence

No pump bailout for you, let it fail

gone fishin
03-08-2009, 09:59 PM
Amazing how this turned ill humored....politics politics...I think Tat Bob had the right answer - the pool pumps are filled with oil and the oil was probably too heavy to run properly untill it was warmed up. :bounce:

spence
03-09-2009, 07:26 AM
I just checked and the pump is oil free, mag driven...

-spence

fishaholic18
03-09-2009, 07:34 AM
I left my new pond running as long as I could this winter, eventually having to shut it off when the ice buildup was really extreme in December. I left the pump in my skimmer though, thinking there was no way it would freeze more than a few inches.

When I tried to start it up a few weeks ago the pump acted in a very wierd manner. Basically it would just push a trickle of water. If I disconnected the hose and let it run inside the skimmer it would push a little water for 5 minutes and then increase to a normal flow. If I then reconnected the hose it would operate as normal for 5-10 minutes and then return to a trickle.

So I left it shut off the past few weeks.

Today I started it up again and it took a while but it's been running all day just fine.

Any ideas on why it would do this? I'm pretty sure there was no blockages anywhere.

On a good note, all my fish survived even though my pond isn't terribly deep and was iced over for several months. I did use one of those floating heaters so there was always some open water.

-spence

Is there any way to inspect the impeller? May have had some crap build up...or may be worn..??

spence
03-09-2009, 07:42 AM
Nah, it's not even a year old and everything looked fine.

Still running today so I'd think it must have been just a strange reaction to the cold. This may make sense as if it was running all winter the heat from the motion would probably have kept it above operating temperature. Hence the problem restarting.

So happy to have it going again, very depressing when the waterfall isn't moving...

-spence

Swimmer
03-09-2009, 08:38 AM
I am glad your fish survived in tact Spence. Your Buckamnisms are funny.

buckman
03-09-2009, 11:10 AM
I am glad your fish survived in tact Spence. Your Buckamnisms are funny.

:jump:

Spence. It fixed itself. Sometimes when left alone things just workout.

FishermanTim
03-09-2009, 02:09 PM
Maybe there was aome ice in the hose, or debris, or both, and when the ice melted (from the moving water) the obstruction was pushed out.

Nebe
03-09-2009, 08:57 PM
Actually I think that is a ross perot pump..

I can hear that giant s#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&g sound all the way over in south county...

striperman36
03-09-2009, 09:03 PM
Poke it with your voodoo stick

spence
03-11-2009, 10:30 AM
Pump runs fine all Sunday then we have that cold snap and it's back to a trickle. It must be the operating temperature. Just came back on a bit ago.

Then today I look out and notice one of the lily pots is tipped over underwater, then I notice the other. Go outside and the dormant lilies are uprooted, rocks are all over the place and one of my best fish is half eaten on the rocks.

Had there been an empty squid box and a tangle of line I would have suspected a togger from the train bridge got lost, but given the evidence my suspicion is a raccoon hit the trash then went on a bender looking for easy food and ransacked the joint.

%$%$%$%$er.

-spence

gone fishin
03-11-2009, 10:57 AM
Half positive you have a mink or one member of that family - they are roaming looking for mates and a nice place to set up a home. If you are near a swamp, you might also be invaded by a muskrat. A racoon is unlikely to go underwater and disturb the pots etc. Get your traps ready!!!:uhuh:

The Iceman 6
03-11-2009, 11:50 AM
hang in there Spence

spence
03-11-2009, 11:56 AM
I've seen skunks, opossum, foxes etc... in the neighborhood but never anything else furry that wasn't a cat or a dog. I know the birds will raid ponds (especially if you're an Iron Maiden fan) but an egret wouldn't have left 1/2 a fish on the rocks.

My 5 year old is going to be bummer. Thank god it didn't kill our one koi (skull) who's a bad ass fish. My wife would be setting up the claymores around the water feature.

-spence

spence
03-11-2009, 03:45 PM
Spoke with the guys at Agway. They said it was definately a mink attack (+1 to gone fishin). I guess they rip off the heads, eat the guts and leave the rest...exactly as the crime scene is.

Upon closer inspection my koi looks to have been harrased as well. His scales are really damaged, but it looks like he's ok otherwise.

They also said my pump behavior was completely odd. Might be ordering a new pump.

-spence

striperman36
03-11-2009, 05:45 PM
Pump Stimulus.

Thats the one thing with outdoor aquariums, things eat them.

cheferson
03-12-2009, 12:16 PM
Spence,

Not sure if youd have any interest, but i found a natural way to get rid of cloudy water and excess alage . In my search for organic straw, i found some organic barley straw at a pond supplier. I guess you soak it in a mesh bag in your pond, and as it breaks down , it releases a chemical. This chemical reduces alage and cloudiness naturally.

spence
03-12-2009, 12:54 PM
I like natural solutions to problems like these.

Fortunately my pond has been very healthy, water is crystal clear and algae hasn't really been an issue. I have used an anti-algae product a few times, but only if it looked as though things were getting bad. Otherwise the fish seem to be doing their work.

-spence

RIJIMMY
03-12-2009, 01:43 PM
man, how did I miss this party!

Spence, try the new Obama pump, from what I've seen it really sucks.

spence
03-12-2009, 02:18 PM
man, how did I miss this party!

Spence, try the new Obama pump, from what I've seen it really sucks.

I loose a family member and you think it's a party?

RIJIMMY = Associates with known minks.

-spence

Nebe
03-12-2009, 05:08 PM
You might want to try a Bush pump. Not only does it suck, it will drain your pond and leave it empty

The Iceman 6
03-12-2009, 05:54 PM
We're in the scuppers right?

RIJIMMY
03-13-2009, 08:29 AM
You might want to try a Bush pump. Not only does it suck, it will drain your pond and leave it empty

:claps:

buckman
03-13-2009, 08:09 PM
They both suck, The Obama pump takes your clean water that you work hard for and pumps half over to your lazy azz neighbors pool with the dirty water. Leaving your pool half empty and you saying WTF

Nebe
03-14-2009, 08:12 PM
They both suck, The Obama pump takes your clean water that you work hard for and pumps half over to your lazy azz neighbors pool with the dirty water. Leaving your pool half empty and you saying WTF
Hahaha!
If that doesn't work, try the Clinton pump.Very slick design that is marketed to women, but After a 10 minute build up it blows it's load
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

spence
03-21-2009, 06:18 PM
Looks like my most excellent and cool koi "SKULL" has died due to injuries suffered in the mink attack. Poor guy didn't look that great the past two weeks, and it was all he could to do manage a noble exit.

I have a new pump and it's working well. Bought from a local Agway for a small fortune, but I like spending money with a local business and this until I can get a warranty replacement from the store, rather than have to ship to some address...who won't even return my email :wall:

So when is somebody else going to build a pond? I've learned so much I want to share :smokin:

-spence

Nebe
03-21-2009, 08:21 PM
I might be building a pond next year.. right now we are in the tree clearing mode and have to get some basics covered. I do have just the spot planned however.

spence
03-21-2009, 10:45 PM
I might be building a pond next year.. right now we are in the tree clearing mode and have to get some basics covered. I do have just the spot planned however.

I learned so much building my first one, I wish I could do the entire thing over again.

From an artistic perspective it's excellent, but there's some pond "best practice" that I missed.

-spence

Nebe
03-22-2009, 05:48 AM
Well...minus the mink attack, your fish made it through the winter...thats an important step.
I learned so much building my first one, I wish I could do the entire thing over again.

From an artistic perspective it's excellent, but there's some pond "best practice" that I missed.

-spence

basswipe
03-22-2009, 06:50 AM
My pumps ran all winter long without issues.

I also use a de-icer,so there is always an opening in the ice.It also keeps the water from freezing to the bottom.I float it near the filter so it always is intaking some slightly warm water and distributing through the whole pond.

All my guys made it too.One koi actually looks bigger.

With the pond net my Spring cleaning should be limited to filter media change and some minor vacuuming.

spence
03-22-2009, 07:32 AM
My pumps ran all winter long without issues.

I also use a de-icer,so there is always an opening in the ice.It also keeps the water from freezing to the bottom.I float it near the filter so it always is intaking some slightly warm water and distributing through the whole pond.

All my guys made it too.One koi actually looks bigger.

With the pond net my Spring cleaning should be limited to filter media change and some minor vacuuming.

I used a floating de-icer that seemed to work pretty well. I think my problem with ice was due to the netting. There's enough spray from the waterfall that it was able to gradually build up with the prolonged cold we had.

I'm going to try to keep it running all year next year.

-spence

tattoobob
03-22-2009, 08:33 AM
Spence with all this pond talk I think we need some pics of it

spence
03-22-2009, 08:47 AM
Spence with all this pond talk I think we need some pics of it
Where were you last year when I posted these? :)

-spence

tattoobob
03-22-2009, 09:47 AM
Not sure, probably busy