View Full Version : Carp Question

Tattoo
03-10-2009, 10:19 AM
Looking for some info from any and all about locations carp fishing in the area. RI DEM doesn’t list anything on its website that I could find, but I know they are out there.
I’ve seen these critters at the Roger Williams Park zoo pond, but doubt I could sneak a 6 year old boy and a fishing rod in there without being noticed. I’m always game for trying to catch something new, plus I think it would be pretty fun for the boy. Never mind the fact that is much safer than bringing him on the rocks of casting for bass and blues.

Nebe
03-10-2009, 10:22 AM
PM on its way and you will like the answer. :D

bart
03-10-2009, 11:46 AM
Carp fishing is a blast. you'll like it just as much as your son....

bassballer
03-10-2009, 11:48 AM
Im sure Steve Mckenna could fill you in on this subject. From what I heard he's the only guy who fishes a st. croix 7' / vs100 and a piece of corn at the end.

Nebe
03-10-2009, 11:55 AM
Im sure Steve Mckenna could fill you in on this subject. From what I heard he's the only guy who fishes a st. croix 7' / vs100 and a piece of corn at the end.

soft plastic corn- loaded with some weights, dacron and small live bait hooks.. :rotfl:

mikecc
03-10-2009, 12:08 PM
If you want to go to Lawerance MA . At the base of the Dam on the merrimack river there is 30lb fish all the time. Just have to fit between all the illegials :af:

Kierran
03-10-2009, 12:10 PM
Mike: google Carp Anglers Group. They have a forum with a New England section. Alot of guys 'in the know' willing to help out over there. Good luck. Carp fishing is a blast! The kid will love it.

JohnR
03-10-2009, 12:51 PM
I’ve seen these critters at the Roger Williams Park zoo pond, but doubt I could sneak a 6 year old boy and a fishing rod in there without being noticed.

I brought my son to RWP for two years chasing sunnies with worms when he was little, never thought or heard anything wrong with it. I've even seen some people with car top rowers in some places in RWP

Kids like Choggies too :btu:

fishbones
03-10-2009, 01:07 PM
I brought my son to RWP for two years chasing sunnies with worms when he was little, never thought or heard anything wrong with it. I've even seen some people with car top rowers in some places in RWP

Kids like Choggies too :btu:

I saw a full fledged bass boat in the little pond at the zoo last season. I thought it was strange because the pond is pretty small, but there were also several people fishing from shore.

As for carp, try Tiogue Lake in Coventry. I hope that's not spot burning. I don't fish fresh water, but I know they get them there.

steve
03-10-2009, 01:17 PM
Mike, I did alot of carp fishing last season and it was alot of fun. I learned alot from Pickering and would be glad to share. I'll send you a pm. BTW,. carp fishing has started and RW park is a good bet. The "duck pond" is the best lake in that area. You can't fish the pond inside the zoo but that's ok because there are plenty at the duck pond. Steve

Raven
03-10-2009, 01:46 PM
where ever people feed the ducks
there's usually HUGE CARP there
so big you'll need surf strong equipment to land them...
========================================

i have to repeat this old story
for some of the new guys ok...

some friends and i wanna go carp fishing bigtime
so we plan this sophisticated assault one night
and head down to the "ducks" the next morning
a great spot on the Charles river off of route 30

we have expensive tackle and super home made dough
with Parmesan cheese salted into it for the smell ok..

we have worms too... a dare devil lure even, for trout...
spinners ect...

we even have floating pieces of bread
for the bread suckers we called -em
as they often suck the bread right off the surface...
with several hooks in the corners....
~
well... along comes this little kid... about 3 feet tall
and he has one of those big red drop lines for salt water
in his hands with this HUGE to us hook like a tail hook
on a pocket rocket ok

we watch with much amusement while he ties the
100 pound test green line (rope) off
onto the hand railing
then he squeezes a full slice of wonder bread with
no crust on it onto the hook and tosses it out 6 feet

well, we we're dying with laughter :rotfl: thinking he
was such a green horn and would never catch anything.
so off he goes running to find Mommy and Daddy
to go feed the duckies with his baby sister down the way...

after awhile we totally forget about him........
and we are catching shiners all day there
having some fun.... then the wind stopped
and it got real quiet like.....all of a sudden

next thing i know, i hear this whining sound
kinda like a mosquito about to bite ya
but i couldn't figure out where it was coming from :huh:

son of a gun!!! it's the kid's drop line... i exclaim
a carp is on it and is pulling it so damn taught
that it was vibrating in the wind (humming)
like a guitar string.... and then along comes the
kid - running to get his drop line rig...

by then the water was foaming and churning
and his dad comes running over as the lilttle kid
yells for help.... well dear old dad couldn't
have been prouder as he hoists this monster carp
out of the water.... and it was like 4 feet long easy
and was much longer than this little kid was tall :shocked:

We were all in SHOCK bigtime-> totally blown away!
as this liltte kid out fished us sophisticated fishermen
without even being there ..... we we're all so pissed
enough to
snap our rods in disgust ...so we packed it up and left....

:jump: out fished and humiliated -> TRUE STORY

t.orlando
03-10-2009, 03:25 PM
I love carp, awsome fun on lite tackle.....good luck.

Raven
03-10-2009, 04:04 PM
more slimey than eels

the secret to carp fishing is to go to your spot the night before
and throw out a can of cut corn by green giant

then go home and make carp dough and let it sit in the fridge
over night...

they'll be around the next day and will eat the dough
but they are extremely wary of hooks - so use a small circle hook

EarnedStripes44
03-10-2009, 04:09 PM
some friends and i wanna go carp fishing bigtime so we plan this sophisticated assault one night
and head down to the "ducks" the next morning
a great spot on the Charles river off of route 30

Carp are the "bonefish" of the Charles River. Probably the most numerous large fish but once sighted, must be approached with stealth. I know of several 12-16#s taken in the vicinity of the Watertown Dam last year. Kendall sq in Cambridge also has some easily visible (and large) shoaling fish in the channel by the powerplant.

JohnR
03-10-2009, 05:40 PM
Carp are the "bonefish" of the Charles River. Probably the most numerous large fish but once sighted, must be approached with stealth. I know of several 12-16#s taken in the vicinity of the Watertown Dam last year. Kendall sq in Cambridge also has some easily visible (and large) shoaling fish in the channel by the powerplant.

We used to do some damage on them off Mother Brook, in East Dedham (being A&P, err Flanagans, and Condon Park)

Raven
03-10-2009, 06:01 PM
ya go down there and cast up stream under the bridge
and you get a huge one....

i caught one there so heavy it broke thru my net and got away
which was fine...

the thing about them is you'll be fishing in a quiet pond somewhere and they do a breach splash that's so damn loud it'll make the hair on the back of your neck stand straight up from fear..or surprise :hs:

Circlehook
03-10-2009, 08:52 PM
Carp are made of Corn.

bart
03-11-2009, 07:57 AM
are cool!!

RoyL
03-14-2009, 08:46 PM
Carp are great and very easy to catch at times....Plus on light line can give an amazing fight. I grew up training my self on light line techniques with carp.....and even fished for them with the sponge Bob rod at first before taking it saltwater to see how it would handle.............Koi ar also loads of fun and great for kids but can get a little finicky especially when there big.....
Here's a pic on my World record Koi...Plus Mike if you ever want to hook up i'll come down for the day and we can fish for some carp with your son.

RoyL

Raven
03-14-2009, 09:04 PM
wow Roy thats the coolest photo of a wild caught fish i've ever seen

whats your choice for carp bait i must ask....

Tattoo
03-15-2009, 06:44 AM
Roy, thanks for the offer. I plan to take you up on that. That koi your holding is just plain awesome!

NIB
03-15-2009, 06:53 AM
Roy, thanks for the offer. I plan to take you up on that. That koi your holding is just plain awesome!

New plug color..???:)

RoyL
03-16-2009, 08:25 PM

Any time!!!

Raven...you just can't beat bread or corn.....I grew up fishing them with canned vegies and bread so it's hard for me to say anything else is better, but I have caught them on all kinds of baits like boillies, sented maiz, potatoes, corn flakes and rasberry soda and even mullberries......there was this mullberry three on mother brook in dedham that I would climb and shake till a ton would fall in the river and then come back a half hour later and slaughter them on the berries. For flies I like small nymphs like hares ears and pheasent tails and flies tied to immitate corn or bread. They eat them but it can be fustrating and I tend to break many on the hook sets, but when you do hook up its a blast

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yZDLV41Hyj8

RoyL
03-16-2009, 08:30 PM
A few more vids

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZT6w7gT6RVM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LbJNbp1EX_Q

lurch
03-17-2009, 06:45 AM
oatmeal with dog food (or some other added scent) in a nice ball with a treble hook inside.

Many good fish on the Merrimack and Concord rivers but those rivers are a long ride from RI.

Rocco34520
03-17-2009, 02:06 PM
Carp fishing is on the rise right now big time. In Europe the carp is like the bass over here. I would love to start learning about it.