View Full Version : Tuna on the fly?

Travis
03-11-2009, 08:09 AM
Curious if any of you guys have been targeting the 100-200lb tuna with the fly rod? If so, what is your rod/reel setup?

fish4striper
03-11-2009, 10:06 AM
I'd suggest checking out reeltime or Jeff Smith's site for some of the sticks they use

Travis
03-11-2009, 10:36 AM
Yes, I have read some of their threads on custom rods they have made. Just posting the question over here. I am not a member on RT. I am more interested on the reels than anything. What are you using? How are they holding up? etc etc. I have not broken the 100lb mark witrh the tuna on the fly rod, and I know I don't have the money to purchase the gear at this time, I am just looking for information and first hand experiences with the different reels out there...they are all big bucks.

clcharette
03-23-2009, 08:04 AM
I imagine it would be quite an investment purchasing gear capable of successfully capturing one of this years beast. I would probably try hiring an expert like Jeff Smith and use his gear. Either way its going to require some green.

Does your dad have any sponsors? You need to get the old man on board.

CaptMike
03-23-2009, 12:48 PM
Some guys do it. I don't know what rod but the big Tibor reel and 600 grain line and you're good to go. 40 lbs fluro for the leader. I've seen it on tv and it looks awesome. I would guess a stiff 14 weight rod, the kind you use for HUGE tarpon might work.

Travis
03-23-2009, 01:02 PM
I imagine it would be quite an investment purchasing gear capable of successfully capturing one of this years beast. I would probably try hiring an expert like Jeff Smith and use his gear. Either way its going to require some green.

Does your dad have any sponsors? You need to get the old man on board.

Yes, he is sponsored by Tibor, Lamson, Scott, and TFO...the rod would need to be a 16-18 wt...I have a few reel possibilities I was looking for feedback on, but I guess there are not many people who do this on the site...

My father has done it all Chris, and you know how he feels about targeting tuna with "light" tackle. He is old school when it comes to that sort of thing, and I can't argue with him considering his background...

Pete_G
03-23-2009, 02:40 PM
I'm sure there's a bunch that can do it (Nautilus, Charlton, and more) but the only two I've seen do it repeatedly on actual over 100 pound fish with my own eyes are Tibor and Abel.

The Pacific is my favorite due to the diameter and relative light weight.

keeperreaper
03-23-2009, 02:49 PM
Billy Pate has a reel that can handle this I believe.

buckman
03-23-2009, 06:44 PM
Curious if any of you guys have been targeting the 100-200lb tuna with the fly rod? If so, what is your rod/reel setup?

Catch one on a spinning rod first:jump:

Travis
03-24-2009, 07:02 AM
Catch one on a spinning rod first:jump:

Maybe Matt will put me on fish this year and I can take the credit and become tuna gurus like you and Jeff...:huh::jump:

buckman
03-24-2009, 12:30 PM
Maybe Matt will put me on fish this year and I can take the credit and become tuna gurus like you and Jeff...:huh::jump:

It's works. :agree:

CaptMike
04-15-2009, 11:34 AM
how do you guys do with smaller tuna, say 25-50 pounds? I'd love to give this a try this season. I'm guess you look for breaking fish and cast at them like blues? blind casting would probably be a waste of time I assume

clcharette
04-16-2009, 06:32 AM
Two years ago we were catching fish that size in the Mudhole. They never showed on the surface but if you dropped a 5 oz. Butterfly jig to them on a spinning rod with 50lb braid the fight was on.

I haven't seen fish in the bay that size since 04 and 05.

Travis
04-16-2009, 12:32 PM
how do you guys do with smaller tuna, say 25-50 pounds? I'd love to give this a try this season. I'm guess you look for breaking fish and cast at them like blues? blind casting would probably be a waste of time I assume

We usually found the smaller tuna anywhere from 1 mi ou of sakonnet out to the claw and points south. Most of the fish were 30-60lbs. Usually the fish were breaking and caught by drifting into the schools...it suckled when the fish were in tight to Sakonnet because alot of knuckleheads would drive right into the fish and pu them down. Too much boat pressure around there. Tuna are often much more skiddish than blues, but there are exceptions. I use a 12 wt and do fine, a 70 lber can make you think you are under gunned in the first run or two! I haven't seen fish that small in a few years though...I haven't been targeting the tuna down there.

CaptMike
04-17-2009, 07:43 AM
Cool I might have to give it a shot. That'd be a lot of fun.

likwid
04-27-2009, 11:22 AM
I'm sure there's a bunch that can do it (Nautilus, Charlton, and more) but the only two I've seen do it repeatedly on actual over 100 pound fish with my own eyes are Tibor and Abel.

Jake Jordan + Charlton Mako
Nuff said.

Mr. Sandman
04-28-2009, 08:46 AM
One day they were busting all around the boat and I picked up my 9 wt with a mid level fly reel tied on a squid fly and...well lets just say it was fun while it lasted. You need something with a real drag system not some lame cork friction wanna be crap. The noise it made was memorable though. :)

likwid
04-28-2009, 08:56 AM
You need something with a real drag system not some lame cork friction wanna be crap.

While I am a huge fan of the newer/nicer drags, those "lame cork friction wanna be crap" drags have killed more big fish than you can ever dream of.

Mr. Sandman
04-29-2009, 07:40 AM
Yeah but how many have they lost ?

likwid
04-29-2009, 09:12 AM
Yeah but how many have they lost ?

Due to the drag or due to luck (or lack thereof)?
Swing over to the "other place" where there are MANY accomplished fly fishermen that have been doing it forever and post that comment.
I dare you. :lurk:

Infact I'm pretty sure there's one or two guys that have caught more triple digit fish on "lame wannabe cork drag crap" than everyone in this thread combined.

CaptMike
04-29-2009, 12:34 PM
Due to the drag or due to luck (or lack thereof)?
Swing over to the "other place" where there are MANY accomplished fly fishermen that have been doing it forever and post that comment.
I dare you. :lurk:

Infact I'm pretty sure there's one or two guys that have caught more triple digit fish on "lame wannabe cork drag crap" than everyone in this thread combined.

I agree with that

Mr. Sandman
04-29-2009, 12:52 PM
whoop-de-do. I guess I am suppose to be jealous. I am getting tired of the controversies here on every little topic, I'll pass . If catching big fish on crappy gear makes them happy...good for them. It is just a matter of time before it fails. Heck, why not use a snoopy rod?

likwid
04-29-2009, 12:59 PM
If catching big fish on crappy gear makes them happy...good for them.

Yeah, some "crappy gear" with better drags than $800 spinning reels. :rolleyes:

You're seriously barking up the wrong tree calling cork drags crappy. Abel builds a FANTASTIC reel with a bombproof CORK drag. I'm pretty sure they've killed more triple digit fish than Van Stalls or ZeeBass ever will.