View Full Version : Sausage casings -Italian or plain?

bassbudda
03-13-2009, 12:52 PM
One of the old wharf rats in Milford told me when he couldn't get eel skins, he went to the local butcher shop and bought SAUSAGE casings and dyed them...

Fact or fiction on the reality or viability of his statement???:lama:

tks, gw

Raven
03-13-2009, 12:58 PM
and find out....:cputin:

and if they work

it would support my theory that fish are able
to detect the density of the skin layer
and it turns them on...seems more realistic to-em

because casings would not have eel stink on them
like eel skins do....

as that's Flaptail's assessment on why they produce.

Slingah
03-13-2009, 01:02 PM
you might be on to something here...fill 'em with chum...tandem rig like a sluggo???...put on a eelskin plug??

slow eddie
03-13-2009, 01:58 PM
think of the thinness of the casing itself. one small bottom hit and you have nada. imo, you need something thicker

Crafty Angler
03-13-2009, 02:28 PM
think of the thinness of the casing itself. one small bottom hit and you have nada. imo, you need something thicker

Hey, Eddie - how about the casing from some morcela - the best part would be eating the stuffing, IMO - :hihi:

After that I don't care what the hell ya do with the skin...

Man, I gotta make a pilgimmage to Chaves Market in FR for some soul food...pick up a little St George cheese while I'm there...and then polish it off with some anis for dessert....:drool:

Eeeeeeee.....godtham basta....:bounce:

fcap60
03-13-2009, 03:18 PM
Why not. .. a little bunker Oil may improve results though

striperman36
03-13-2009, 05:50 PM
In the resevoir tip would be the best.
Buy them by the dozen!!

The Dad Fisherman
03-13-2009, 08:43 PM
Lambskin.....

gone fishin
03-13-2009, 08:54 PM
I think the sausage casings will fall apart after some serious fishing. Skins are available early in the season, why use the alternates?

I usually buy a bunch and soak - save them in Kosher salt. They last years. I still have a bunch in the back of the refrigerator.:gh:

joe the plumber
03-14-2009, 08:10 AM
I think the sausage casings will fall apart after some serious fishing. Skins are available early in the season, why use the alternates?

I usually buy a bunch and soak - save them in Kosher salt. They last years. I still have a bunch in the back of the refrigerator.:gh:

GF,
May I ask where and when you buy them? Joe