View Full Version : weighting an A-40

Ake G
03-14-2009, 07:46 AM
I've spun up a couple dozen traditionally shaped (almost trad...tweaked the shape a little) A-40's. Think the original Atoms but w/ a fatter head.

Have made a larger version in the past , a cross between a Conrad and an A-40 (called it an A-50), put a weight dead center on the balance point and a weight in the tail. Swims beautifully, surface to subsurface.

Belly weight alone and it would helicopter on the cast.

Thought I'd try the new shape unweighted to see how it swims and casts.

Where/How do you guys weight your A-40's?

Jigman
03-14-2009, 10:08 AM
Some builders belly weight them around the center point, others use no weight. Best way to determine it for you plugs is to sacrifice one to figure it out. Take a section of a tail weight and stick a screw eye through it. Take the rigged plug to the water and see what it does with no weight. Then screw the weight into the plug enough to hold it and test swim. Move weight around until you find the best swimming action. Mark that point and drill the other plugs to match.

Jigman

Jigman
03-14-2009, 10:10 AM
I should have added: once you think you have found the best location for the lead, drill a hole for the lead and test cast again to insure that it still swims right with the lead inserted rather than hanging below the plug.

Jigman

go4broke44
03-14-2009, 11:10 AM
I like to belly weight my plugs slightly aft of center, so that the center of gravity is a little further back, and therefore it won't helicopter on the cast. like maybe 1/8-1/4" aft of center?

numbskull
03-14-2009, 12:05 PM
The original wooden atom was un-weighted except for a special version that carried a huge tail slug (3/8" all the way to the back belly hook).

Conrads carry a big weight aft of center (and float level)

Beachmaster large Atoms carry a smallish belly weight slightly forward of the midpoint between the belly hooks and smallish tail weight (identical to their Jr)

Pichney "atoms" carry a large weight only 1/3 the way back from the nose

Take your pick, it seems.

BigFish
03-14-2009, 07:01 PM
Not sure which make this original was??? (Original Atom A-40???) These 2 are exact copies right down to the tail weight! No belly weight! They swim dead exact! They will slay!:tooth:

Grapenuts
03-14-2009, 07:15 PM
red one looks more like a blue streak then an atom

BigFish
03-14-2009, 07:17 PM
Thats what I thought but it has no marking on the belly?:huh::huh:

BigFish
03-14-2009, 07:20 PM
This is one I used to own...looks the same! No stamping on the belly on the beat up one though?

ProfessorM
03-14-2009, 07:51 PM
bluestreak if you ask me, which is a better plug than the atom IMO. Hook placement is better. Old grapenuts gave me a nice one out of Mahogany which is what bluestreak used, I think. Tail weighted. The lips are not available by any of the makers now. The A 40 lips is not the same. I made some myself. I have a bunch of the bodies made but have never put paint on them. Nice Lawrence.

Grapenuts
03-14-2009, 09:33 PM
yep..she's a streaker ....best built plug ever made..they held nothing back when they made those.

Ake G
03-15-2009, 09:00 AM
Thanks for the replies and great advice! I'll be drilling bodies sometime today in the shop and sealing by the end of the day. Will post my results.

Really is a pleasure to R&D such a great piece of plugmaking history as an A-40.

numbskull
03-15-2009, 09:44 AM
bluestreak if you ask me, which is a better plug than the atom IMO. .

You need to be careful here. The bluestreak was designed primarily as a trolling plug (or so I hear), the A40 as a surface/subsurface swimmer. The big tail weight slows stuff down when trolling, but may not be what you want when casting (in spite of the distance gain).

blondterror
03-15-2009, 10:58 AM
I would like to make a few Bluestreak design copies. What is the length of the body, max diameter and diameter at the tail. I do have some mahogany cutoffs in my bin so I am good to go....

thanks... chris

ProfessorM
03-15-2009, 04:05 PM
You need to be careful here. The bluestreak was designed primarily as a trolling plug (or so I hear), the A40 as a surface/subsurface swimmer. The big tail weight slows stuff down when trolling, but may not be what you want when casting (in spite of the distance gain).

True George two plugs used for different uses. I was too generic in my opinion.

Canalman
03-16-2009, 01:14 PM
Some builders belly weight them around the center point, others use no weight. Best way to determine it for you plugs is to sacrifice one to figure it out. Take a section of a tail weight and stick a screw eye through it. Take the rigged plug to the water and see what it does with no weight. Then screw the weight into the plug enough to hold it and test swim. Move weight around until you find the best swimming action. Mark that point and drill the other plugs to match.

Jigman

OOH I like that idea :btu:

Jigman
03-16-2009, 06:21 PM
OOH I like that idea :btu:

You can do the same thing with screw eyes and hooks to figure out the best configuration of hooks too. Drill for thru-wire, but don't drill the swivel holes. Wire up and use the screw eyes to add hooks. Move around as needed.

Jigman

ProfessorM
03-19-2009, 01:17 PM
Just in case anyone is interested in lips for the Bluestreak compared to the Atom 40 here is a few pics. Atom is puke yellowish color and Bluestreak is darker.

ProfessorM
03-19-2009, 01:23 PM
2 more. Lips are different in the front bottom part being the Atom is more of and oval and the Bluestreak is a full radius, rounder. Atom lip is slightly thinner in width. The length of the face is about the same and the lip is mounted in similar position on the plug, in the middle. Line tie is pretty low on the plug.
I have a mahogany Bluestreak that is a full 1 oz. heavier than another one I have which is maybe Pine. Neither of them have belly wgts and both have tail wgts.

Also notice how far forward the front hook is on the Bluestreak compared to Atom. The rear hooks are the same distance on both. Some like to make the bluestreak just for that reason, figuring on hook tangle. I am not too sure it is a major problem

Grapenuts
03-20-2009, 04:06 PM
2 more. Lips are different in the front bottom part being the Atom is more of and oval and the Bluestreak is a full radius, rounder. Atom lip is slightly thinner in width. The length of the face is about the same and the lip is mounted in similar position on the plug, in the middle. Line tie is pretty low on the plug.
I have a mahogany Bluestreak that is a full 1 oz. heavier than another one I have which is maybe Pine. Neither of them have belly wgts and both have tail wgts.

Also notice how far forward the front hook is on the Bluestreak compared to Atom. The rear hooks are the same distance on both. Some like to make the bluestreak just for that reason, figuring on hook tangle. I am not too sure it is a major problem

slick pic looks good there.:cool:

ProfessorM
03-20-2009, 04:37 PM
ah you noticed
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

Grapenuts
03-20-2009, 06:24 PM
sometimes I can see the tree through the forest.

ran out of lips to bend :hee:

ProfessorM
03-20-2009, 07:50 PM
you have been a bending fool I take it

Grapenuts
03-20-2009, 08:27 PM
now when I :call:for an order..it's flat stock only please...I'll do the rest:D

GooGoo Man
03-20-2009, 08:55 PM
Do you think the plugs would swim different, if the lips were held back to the face? What is the reason?

ProfessorM
03-21-2009, 10:26 AM
Not sure but if you look at a lot of the creek chub swimmers they always kept them away from the plug, some I have seen are almost a 1/4 of an inch away. Guess it gives them the action they want.

go4broke44
03-21-2009, 11:05 AM
Professor, that big conrad looking plug on the wall of your house/shed is sweet!

ProfessorM
03-21-2009, 02:37 PM
In my sunroom. It is a goo goo eye given to me by Capesam's and yes it is very nice.

Ake G
07-18-2009, 09:40 AM
Finally got around to some photos. 9+ " long , around 3.5 oz swims like a champ!