View Full Version : Etex Equation or Amounts by Weight

VTBasser
03-15-2009, 11:14 PM
Going to take the Etex plunge since Waldo cut off our supply of inexpensive Devcon.

Reading many horror stories of sticky results I was thinking about mixing amounts by weight; thinking for small amounts weight would be more accurate than volume.

Has anyone else done this?

Is there any reason to pour the resin or hardner first?

I am planning to use one mixing cup. Weigh the cup; add the weight of one to the weight of the cup and pour to that weight; then add the weight of the other and pour to that weight.

Below are my calculations to do it. I think I got them right.

chefchris401
03-16-2009, 08:53 AM
I just did the Etex thing for the first time myself. Its much easier than everyone makes it out to be. I used a 1" foam brush to apply the etex. They're much cheaper than regular brushes and you don't have to worrry about hairs coming out of them. As far as mixing goes I used a 1oz portion cup similiar to what duck sauce comes in from a chinesse restaurant. I measured both parts in their own cups then poured then into a shallow dish. MIX WELL. If it makes bubbles dont worry thats a sign that its mxing well. I did 8 plugs with that amount. I applied it back to front the width way, then went top to bottom the long way, gave me 100% coverage. If you do get drips, just wipe them away with the brush afterwards. The etex will combine back with itself with no signs you fixed it.

Pete F.
03-16-2009, 09:17 AM
Go to a pharmacy and get some measuring cups like the ones on top of nyquil bottles. They are marked in milliliters. I usually make batches of 10, 15, or 20 ml depending on how many plugs I have to do. Mix and paint from the same cup, toss when done. I have not had an issue since I started doing this, yur results may vary

ecduzitgood
03-16-2009, 09:23 AM
The most important part is the mixing using 3 containers to mix. I just eyeball the bottles to keep them about even, there is some room for error. I think it's the stuff the gets on the sides of the containers that never gets thoroughly mixed together causes the problems so before I coat the plug I pour into a clean cup for the final mix (3rd cup).

Dr.fish
03-16-2009, 04:26 PM
Not a tough thing to do with the mixing cups (pill containers form hosp. or from CCTackle)...2 drams of each poured CAREFULLY into one cup...mix for full 2 minutes apply...does 14 small (6 inch) plugs for me...3 cups totally not necessary if you're CAREFULL with your measurements! Spin for 4 hours in 60 - 70 degree heat...hang for 48 hours!

justplugit
03-16-2009, 05:45 PM
Is there any reason to pour the resin or hardner first?

Haven't found any difference.

Seems to mix better in a warm cup with the key mixing for at least 4-5 min,
while tipping the cup from side to side to mix the material in on the sides as well.

VTBasser
03-16-2009, 07:02 PM
thinking for small amounts weight would be more accurate than volume.

The main question I had was if using weights for small amounts would be more accurate than volumes as a unit of measure.

I guess I will do some experimentation.

tattoobob
03-16-2009, 07:43 PM
I use the teaspoon method, one teaspoon off each
wipe out with acid brush after each part and I have
never had a problem

Keep it simple

pbadad
03-16-2009, 09:08 PM
I have found using the Flexcoat rod finish syringes the best way by far to accurately measure e-tex or any liquid epoxy. These syringes have no silicone in their make up. I have used this method for 4 years w/o an issue in curing. Coat by 8pm, dry to touch by 8am. I do 5 -9" needles w/ 6 cc's of mix. Best results w/ 1" foam brush. Buy on sale @ Michaels Crafts , 20 for a $1.00. Each syringe is 3 cc's ea. You can get syringes from any shop that carries rod building supplies. I mix with the hardener first then adding the resin. Hope this helps.