View Full Version : Eric Clapton's Autobiography

Crafty Angler
03-16-2009, 08:14 AM
Just got finished reading it this weekend - it was pretty amazing and more amazing still is that he's still alive given his addiction to smack and alcohol and a couple of failed suicide attempts...

I've always been a big Clapton fan but having read his autobiography will put his music in a different perspective for me - I've got the day off so I'll be listening to the whole discography today.

The story about the terrible loss of his son Conor will bring tears to your eyes - and the story of how he finally conquered his addictions is inspiring.

EC - I recently learned - is a devoted fisherman and hunter and talks about the Zen quality of fishing.

It gives you a real perspective into how he's developed as an artist and finally as a man who has finally found peace in his life with his wife and four daughters.

Really interesting stuff - the list of musicians he's worked with is incredible - I'd recommend it if you're into music and looking for a good read.

Raven
03-16-2009, 08:53 AM
Music correlates to abuses of drugs.....

writing is much the same

BigFish
03-16-2009, 10:15 AM
I read it awhile ago Chuck and thought it was rather thin considering the life he has had. Left out alot of meat in my opinion! The part about his childhood was interesting and as you mentioned the part about his son, but the portion directed towards his career and music was very, very thin.

slow eddie
03-16-2009, 10:22 AM
i entered a post a few months ago on the book. what still amazes me is just how much money he has made in his life. come on now, a 150 ft. yacht?

BigFish
03-16-2009, 10:24 AM
He was in Wellfleet Harbor in his yacht about 4 years ago......had dinner at the Bookstore Restaurant in Wellfleet!:kewl:

Bocephus
03-16-2009, 11:26 AM
I thought it was pretty good, but yea, it was a little weak as far as the music and how he came up with it. I read that one and Slash's book in the same weekend..... Slash had the more interesting life but it wasnt as fun as I thought it would be A few good overdose stories in there make it worth the read.

Crafty Angler
03-16-2009, 11:57 AM
I read it awhile ago Chuck and thought it was rather thin considering the life he has had. Left out alot of meat in my opinion! The part about his childhood was interesting and as you mentioned the part about his son, but the portion directed towards his career and music was very, very thin.

You're right in that aspect, Larry - it made me wish that he had given the task to a good ghost writer to flesh it out some more, but I guess you finally have to fill in the spaces yourself in some parts - sort of that typical English reserve thing going on I guess.

He had a lot of ground to cover in terms of his career, without a doubt. It connected a lot of dots for me anyway in terms of his musical influences -

BigFish
03-16-2009, 12:24 PM
There was a real good biography that came out about......I want to say 15 years ago that was alot better....of course it would be minus the past 15 years!! However it had alot more to do with his music and such....can't remember who wrote it and it may have been autobiographical with the ghost writer??