View Full Version : Pocket Rocket Schematic

wahlie
03-17-2009, 08:54 AM
I, for one learn much better with visual aids... So, I took dave's article from the fisherman on the pocket rocket and turned it into a schematic. This is how I make my templates. I measure everything out first and then put it on plexi for the duplicator. Hope this helps. I also drill thru after turning the plug.. I'm all sorts of backwards. :huh:

-Chris

Canalman
03-17-2009, 11:34 AM
Right on. Jeeze, I might contact you before next year's series. :uhuh:

tlapinski
03-17-2009, 11:42 AM
.. I'm all sorts of backwards.

:agree:

go4broke44
03-17-2009, 12:27 PM
looks like a mini hab's night n gale almost!

wahlie
03-17-2009, 02:03 PM
lol watch it lapinski... I know where you live... Dave, this is how I do all of my plugs... It makes for great reference later on down the road as well. I have a book at home with all of the different plugs that i've made with schematics enclosed.

-Chris

I'm going to make one on the darter once I get around to it.

tattoobob
03-17-2009, 04:06 PM
The original Pocket Rocket was not weighted like that, it had 3 slugs of lead in the middle, that drawing you have is the way Al Gags does it

wahlie
03-17-2009, 06:44 PM
Right, because pichney didn't have arse slugs when he was building so he would put 3 slugs in the belly but with the arse slug. I've also seen some of pichney's with 1 big belly weight. I think you will get much better castability. All in all it's just a delivery device. The fish want the hackle. All of the modern day ones have arse slugs in them. I was going to try some with the belly slugs but don't think it will matter.

Jaycet62
03-17-2009, 08:38 PM
OK, OK....I'm an idiot. But there was this woman in Old Saybrook, a winter rental on the beach, in 1975, and a first striper on a Rebel from the surf......ah, those were the days!

I really appreciate Dave's reply and Chris's detail. Waiting on Chris's darter schematic with some tiger maple in hand. Can anyone explain to me what makes those dartes dart? So far, some do (a little), some don't.

Thanks, guys. Jay

Canalman
03-18-2009, 10:56 AM
The original Pocket Rocket was not weighted like that, it had 3 slugs of lead in the middle, that drawing you have is the way Al Gags does it

I do things the way they work for me. I don't seek to copy the exact plug. I work on a prototype and then I write about the results. I have never actually used a gags one. :)

GattaFish
03-18-2009, 06:08 PM
I make mine with the weights in the tail,,,, and they have good action,,, more guys should fish them in big water I have done well with them,,,,,, even though they are over 3oz they are great for turbulent water,,,

I also make one with a treble in the belly

pbadad
03-18-2009, 09:45 PM
Chris nice detail. I used 5/8 dowels a few years ago and filled the plug with lead. The only thing I forgot if I drilled 2" or 3" deep. Thats what happen when you spin on a wim! I'll weigh the plug to see how much I did. They do swim with a nice wiggle when reeled in a moderate rate. Chris you are correct in saying the plug is only the deliverer. It's the tail that catches.

Pete F.
03-19-2009, 12:12 AM
Very nice, I always wondered how the original was weighted.
This is my darter schematic

numbskull
03-19-2009, 05:53 AM
Very nice, I always wondered how the original was weighted.
This is my darter schematic

:uhuh:

DZ
03-19-2009, 09:18 AM
FYI - the original stubbies (rockets) were designed for large bass that could easily slurp them down and be hooked with the one single hook off the rear end. Back then there were not many small bass.

As the smaller fish came back we noticed that we missed a lot of strikes with the single hook. We started using the Gibbs stubby which included a stomach treble and immediatly increased our hook-ups. Nowadays it would be very advantagious to include a swivel forward toward the front so you could include a treble as smaller fish are now more predominate. If larger fish show - take the treble off. Adding a forward swivel makes a much more versatile stubby needle.

DZ

Nebe
03-19-2009, 09:32 AM
just remember that if you only use tail weights, the plug will roll more than a needle that is loadded with belly weights. This isnt as big a deal with a needle as it is with a metal lip, but I thought I would mention it.

GattaFish
03-19-2009, 11:08 AM
DZ you are absolutely correct on the larger fish taking the whole plug. I took some nice fish on these last year in big water...

I also found that cutting off the siwash and leaving a flag on the tail tends to help reduce bluefish hook ups when they are mixed in with large bass,,,

The belly hook models also have a belly weight to keep them swimming correctly,,, I even put eyes on some of the ones with the belly hooks,,,,,,,,

DZ
03-19-2009, 11:22 AM
DZ you are absolutely correct on the larger fish taking the whole plug. I took some nice fish on these last year in big water...

I also found that cutting off the siwash and leaving a flag on the tail tends to help reduce bluefish hook ups when they are mixed in with large bass,,,

The belly hook models also have a belly weight to keep them swimming correctly,,, I even put eyes on some of the ones with the belly hooks,,,,,,,,

Gatta,
You got the idea - those look perfect.

DZ

wahlie
03-19-2009, 01:17 PM
good idea on drilling out a belly hook just in case... I'll have to try that.

Mr. Sandman
03-19-2009, 01:39 PM
Hab's had a nice one. I cloned that, then played with a few variables last season. Got some decent fish in the bigger wash. They cast like a bank sinker and can work almost the entire water column with practice.

Always good to have one in the bag.

Canalman
03-20-2009, 10:14 AM
just remember that if you only use tail weights, the plug will roll more than a needle that is loadded with belly weights. This isnt as big a deal with a needle as it is with a metal lip, but I thought I would mention it.

This is why I reccommend painting them solid colors. :hihi:

Nebe
03-20-2009, 10:33 AM
word

kickin'bass ass
03-20-2009, 11:49 AM
what is the proper way to fish these?i have a couple hanging in the basement and dont usually use them

tattoobob
03-20-2009, 04:29 PM
I Have Pocket Rockets weighted both ways and the ones with the tail weights are duds IMO. The originals cast and swim much better they also catch more fish

Mr. Sandman
03-23-2009, 06:48 AM
Dave,

Your winter fishermen articles on plug building were excellent this year. IMO that was some of the best how-to winter reading in that magazine.

Thanks for doing them

Canalman
03-23-2009, 11:50 AM

Guyver
03-24-2009, 12:06 AM
I Have Pocket Rockets weighted both ways and the ones with the tail weights are duds IMO. The originals cast and swim much better they also catch more fish

Would drilling the hole deeper and using a spacer (piece of wooden dowel) to position the weight closer to dead center be more beneficial to the action of the lure in your opinion?

http://img403.imageshack.us/img403/7356/image3i.jpg

GattaFish
03-24-2009, 09:29 AM

I will take all those duds,,,,:bl:

tattoobob
03-24-2009, 04:47 PM
Would drilling the hole deeper and using a spacer (piece of wooden dowel) to position the weight closer to dead center be more beneficial to the action of the lure in your opinion?

http://img403.imageshack.us/img403/7356/image3i.jpg

I would think it would help alot, remember the originals weighed under an once

tattoobob
03-24-2009, 05:28 PM
And they work Pissa

wahlie
03-24-2009, 06:08 PM
I tried putting a plastic spacer in 3 out of the 6 that I did up to push the lead more to the center of the body.... I've done that with other larger needles and it increased the action/swim dramatically.... I'm hoping that it will fish more like the originals... Just need to wait for the scaley basstards to show up...

gone fishin
03-25-2009, 10:40 AM
pocket rocket - weight three slugs center belly.