View Full Version : any leftovers

gilligan
01-07-2003, 06:48 PM
from the plug swap. i would like to pickup some more homemade plugs before the season gets started. i got 3 of tattoos darters and they are simply fantastic. i fished last season with a bad taste in my mouth for plugs/lures, but in the fall run i had awesome results using lures/plugs and would like to start some serious plugging come spring. one more question for ya, what do you use for a tacklebag? homemade or store bought? if you put it together yourself any suggestions for me?
thanks for any replies

JohnR
01-07-2003, 08:15 PM
The plug swap really won't have any leftovers but we might have a set to auction or raffle off. Each person makes a set of similar plugs and ships them off to one person who will sort them. Then each person will recieve one of each kind made. It's a great way to add some variety and see what others can do...

You can go with fishing tackle bags from anywhere from $20 to several hundred. You can also get an army style bag for short money at an Army/Navy store and make plug holders by cutting the bottoms off shampoo bottles and the like to get the right ratio of plugs to junk in the bag...

gilligan
01-07-2003, 10:48 PM
i would like to start an opening bid for an auction so let me know when its time. thats what i figured about the bag (cheaper to make it myself). well anyway im still definitley interested in anyone's work.
thanks

bud8fan
01-07-2003, 10:57 PM
You can also pick up 2"x2"x 8" square plastic tubes for $1.49 each from NJtackle.com. If you feel the need to have them fixed in the bag you can epoxy them together!
Then all you need is a bag that is large enough for your liking!

Just a thought?

JohnR
01-08-2003, 09:15 AM
You can also pick up 2"x2"x 8" square plastic tubes for $1.49 each from NJtackle.com then for 12 plugs, you're at $18 for tubes and you haven't even bought the bag yet. And your ALMOST at the price of a decent new bag (typically $30 at the shows - I have two)...

If you want to do up a custom, the sky is the limit. But if you are adding a bunch of stuff up and are not overly concerned, just buy a decent bag.

Personaly - I'd love a Surfcaster bag but I have other things that I'll drop $130 on right now ;)

Saltheart
01-08-2003, 09:53 AM
I once made a bag with an old camera bag and the tubes made by cutting the tops off old plastic soda bottles (5 cent deposit). The bag was great and lasted about 12 years! :) It finally died when the nylon on the camera bag ripped.

My canal jigging bag is made about the same but uses a very small Samsonite bag (very sturdy , heavy material) which holds 4 tubes from soda bottles and has some small zippered pockets for odds and ends on the sides. the main bag has a flap with a buckle clip closure. I'd say its about 3" thick by 6" wide by 8" deep. The thing is great for the canal. I can't imagine a better bag for the purpose intended. It holds about 8 pounds of jigs. seperate tubes for the balls in 2 sizes , Smilin Bills in 3 sizes , skinjigs , and still plenty of space for curltails , Fin S , and mega jerks as needed. leaders , pliers , etc in the extra pockets on the outside.

JohnR
01-08-2003, 10:46 AM
Gilligan - will post once I know more...

gilligan
01-08-2003, 04:28 PM