View Full Version : 15 foot flats boat

kenP
01-08-2003, 09:57 AM
Will be moving to NH from FL and may be bringing my 15 foot flats boat. My question how much fishing can I do from this type of boat? I hear there are numerous rivers and estuaries where I can target strippers and blues. Does anyone fish in a boat this size? I am not really into open water fishing. Thanks for the feedback.

Mr. Kav
01-08-2003, 10:08 AM
up river on the merrimack you can get into stripers. i am sure you could have a lot of fun fishing freshwater in that. there are plenty on lakes and ponds that hold large and small mouth bass in NH along with trout and pickeral.

JohnR
01-08-2003, 10:26 AM
Like Mr Kav said, that boat would be great INSIDE the Merrimack (near the Mass/NH border). Especially around the flats up the river. I wouldn't consider taking it out the mouth thoudh :eek5:

I was there several years ago on my friends 23 Coastal fishing the drop with a SW wind, we could not see the 25' Grady that was 40 feet away when we were in the trough of a wave... The wind had the drop stacked up BIG TIME at the mouth - what a ball on high teen bass and high teen blues (and a shark :btu: that sucked down a monster bluefish!)

Mr. Sandman
01-08-2003, 10:40 AM
IMO you would be better off selling the boat in FL. If you decide (after you get to NH) you want to get a bigger boat or just want to sell it...It will be a tough thing to unload in NH. There is not a high demand for that kind of boat up north. FW guys may be a little interested but I would think you might have more luck in FL.

fishsmith
01-08-2003, 11:15 AM
There are tons of lakes to explore in NH with a boat that size too.

gf2020
01-08-2003, 11:18 AM
Ken:

Didn't we discuss this just a month or two ago?

http://www.striped-bass.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=5093

kenP
01-08-2003, 11:29 AM
gf2020,

Yes, but at that time I was thinking about a getting a bigger boat. Now that I have seen exactly what a house is going to cost me I am either keeping my current boat or will have to go without. So I wanted to know if people thought it would be worth keeping the boat.

gf2020
01-11-2003, 09:56 PM
"what a house is going to cost me "

Yeah, I think I said in your original thread that house prices would be a real shocker. Three of them for sale in my neighborhood: $655, $685 and $850. Good luck I say!

If you own the boat free and clear and presumably are familiar with it's limitations I would bring it along. Plenty of freshwater lakes to use it on and plenty of marshes and estuaries along the MA and NH coast too.

Sure do hope you like the cold and snow. I have over 20" of snow in my yard and it will drop in to the single digits tonight. With the windchill it will probably be below zero by morning!

kenP
01-13-2003, 11:06 AM
Gf2020,

We ran the numbers and will keep the boat and after seeing prices like in your area we have settled on either Pelham or Windham NH. Hope to be there by mid March - just in time to start the new fishing season.

gf2020
01-14-2003, 10:26 AM
Ken:

Sounds good! Plenty of local water to cover in a small boat!

A buddy of mine here at work lives in Pelham, he moved there from Haverhill, MA. Windham is nice, but pricey from what I've heard. Where will you be working?

...Gordon

kenP
01-14-2003, 05:28 PM
I will be working in Boston (yeah I know an ugly commute) but need a place to raise the family. Looking foward to learning some tricks from this forum when I get up there.

gf2020
01-20-2003, 09:23 PM
I work in Boston too. It's 32 miles door to door for me, but I almost always take a commuter bus. I catch it 1.5 miles from my house and it stops right behind my building. It's pretty good and a lot cheaper than driving in and paying for parking.

I'm sure there are similar buses and van pools from the Pelham or Windham area, or you can take the commuter rail.

It was -4 when I left the house on Sunday morning to take my boys skiing. Gotta love winter in New England!