View Full Version : Tuna Landings updated

keeperreaper
03-26-2009, 04:41 AM
http://www.nmfs.noaa.gov/sfa/hms/newslist/2009/03-24-09_Bluefin_Tuna_Landings_Update.pdf

clcharette
03-26-2009, 06:56 AM
22% decrease from last season. It doesn't look like we are on the way to saving the quota.

fish4striper
03-26-2009, 11:05 AM
Who will land the 1st bluefin this year? Anyone traveling south? Bite's pretty good down NC way

buckman
03-26-2009, 12:37 PM
Who will land the 1st bluefin this year? Anyone traveling south? Bite's pretty good down NC way

Sounds like a challenge. Who's in?

niko
03-26-2009, 01:17 PM
jeff, your boat + my truck = road trip

buckman
03-26-2009, 04:15 PM
jeff, your boat + my truck = road trip

Jeff's BM jr. I'm Steve

niko
03-26-2009, 05:05 PM
fish4striper is the jeff i was refering to, but buckman if you want to take a road trip that's cool too

buckman
03-26-2009, 05:20 PM
fish4striper is the jeff i was refering to, but buckman if you want to take a road trip that's cool too

Maybe we can buddy boat with both rigs.

spence
03-26-2009, 05:35 PM
Sounds like a challenge. Who's in?

I'm in.

Seriously, I need an excuse to break in my new boat shoes. Your yacht, it does have a porcelain head, right?

-spence

Raider Ronnie
03-26-2009, 06:40 PM
http://www.nmfs.noaa.gov/sfa/hms/newslist/2009/03-24-09_Bluefin_Tuna_Landings_Update.pdf

Matt,
Like the signature :kewl:

niko
03-26-2009, 06:57 PM
hey ron, take that trash to the other forum. yours truely, the moderate democrat ;)

thefishingfreak
03-26-2009, 07:41 PM
yet another reason people NEED to call in there fish.
If the quotas aren't filled they'll give it to someone else.

Raider Ronnie
03-26-2009, 07:56 PM

Thats happening with the giant quota now !
I wonder what % of the rec guys call in ???

Raider Ronnie
03-26-2009, 08:00 PM
hey ron, take that trash to the other forum. yours truely, the moderate democrat ;)

:gh:
Paul,
You cod fishing next week ?

clcharette
03-26-2009, 08:10 PM

The recs exceeded their limits for the past 2 years. Its the general category that has to fill the quota.

animal
03-26-2009, 08:52 PM
Thats happening with the giant quota now !
I wonder what % of the rec guys call in ???

Seriously,some of you guys need to figure out who's your enemy.

animal
03-26-2009, 09:00 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OeX8Y1z-1tc
We n eed to hang together now,or we'll hang separately,later.

keeperreaper
03-27-2009, 03:59 AM
The science and math they use to extract and formulate the recreational number has ZERO substantial data behind it. If/When NMFS is asked where they derived there informatiion from you response has/will be "best guess" scenario. They are trying to figure out what percentage of recreational tuna which are landed (killed) are not called in. They are basically throwing darts into the darkness hoping for the best but usually missing the board.

The process and the harrassing calls from the tuna people can be time consuming and bothersome. What they should do is let anglers email into the central data base. Easier quicker and they could make an easy to use form for us on their website.

But really it comes down to the angler calling in the fish and doing what is LAWFULLY required.

niko
03-27-2009, 06:36 AM
rr -hopefully getting out a couple times next week. kr- nice idea about e-mailing in what gets caught

clcharette
03-27-2009, 06:41 AM
The science and math they use to extract and formulate the recreational number has ZERO substantial data behind it. If/When NMFS is asked where they derived there informatiion from you response has/will be "best guess" scenario. They are trying to figure out what percentage of recreational tuna which are landed (killed) are not called in. They are basically throwing darts into the darkness hoping for the best but usually missing the board.

The process and the harrassing calls from the tuna people can be time consuming and bothersome. What they should do is let anglers email into the central data base. Easier quicker and they could make an easy to use form for us on their website.

But really it comes down to the angler calling in the fish and doing
what is LAWFULLY required.

I agree that all recs need to call in there catch but who says they aren't already? Whether they do or not has no impact on the future of the quota that we are close to losing. If guys are going to screw with their catch landings and call in fish that weren't caught thinking they are helping thats bull, all they are doing is filling the rec quota and the result will be the season being shut down in September before the best fishing even starts.

How complicating is calling in the catch?

keeperreaper
03-27-2009, 07:26 AM
The complication is the incessant calls back. The inconvenience of the call backs. You know as well as I not everyone that we know who targets these call all the fish in. I'm sure after 10 hours on the water 2 hours travel, 1 hour cleaning, 1 hour filleting the tuna, the last thing a lot of people are thinking about is callin in the fish. I doubt people are going to call in phantom fish either. For what? 95% of the guys out there catch less than 2 fish a year if that. I'm sure they aren't calling in fish to protect a fish they cant even catch on their own.

What about the guys back dooring these fish to restaurants? Do you think they are calling those in? Whast about the guys fishing without permits? Are they calling in? I don't think so.

Either way we as a whole have a long swim upstream.

RIROCKHOUND
03-27-2009, 07:45 AM
Good discussion guys. I don't do much w/ inshore Bluefin down here... we save our fuel for the longer run, so I am woefully out of the BFT management loop... BUT, it seems to me, the original argument is that the quota will be given away has nothing to do with the Rec's not calling it in (assuming Chris is right that the recs have reached their quota the last few years, I don't know but I believe him), and it is really an issue of fewer commercial fish being caught... is that fair?

the fact that they can't streamline the process and make it digitial is silly, you think it would be easier to set up an online form with name, license/permit number, and who, what,when, where caught...

clcharette
03-27-2009, 07:49 AM
[QUOTE=RIROCKHOUND;677166]Good discussion guys. I don't do much w/ inshore Bluefin down here... we save our fuel for the longer run, so I am woefully out of the BFT management loop... BUT, it seems to me, the original argument is that the quota will be given away has nothing to do with the Rec's not calling it in (assuming Chris is right that the recs have reached their quota the last few years, I don't know but I believe him), and it is really an issue of fewer commercial fish being caught... is that fair?

Yes thats a fair shake down.

keeperreaper
03-27-2009, 08:46 AM
the fact that they can't streamline the process and make it digitial is silly, you think it would be easier to set up an online form with name, license/permit number, and who, what,when, where caught...

Right on. But the way they derive the fact that the rec's overharvest their alottment of the quota is voodoo science at its best and a totally uneducated guess at its worst.

The whole system is flawed at its core and to douche the whole system and come up with a system that works for the eastern US would be the prudent and logical thing to do.

RIROCKHOUND
03-27-2009, 08:54 AM
OK.
to play NMFS devils advocate:

What % of the (Rec if you want to break it out) quota was actually reported? if it was 75%? 50%? 25%? Whetever the number, is it fair that they have to extrapolate SOME unreported etc..

buckman
03-28-2009, 07:18 AM
OK.
to play NMFS devils advocate:

What % of the (Rec if you want to break it out) quota was actually reported? if it was 75%? 50%? 25%? Whetever the number, is it fair that they have to extrapolate SOME unreported etc..

I'm going to say less then 50% go reported.

RIROCKHOUND
03-28-2009, 08:57 AM
So, if 50% is reported, then they have to extrapolate some, right? otherwise they would grossly underestimate the amount caught...

just trying to apply logic and be devils advocate.....

big jay
03-28-2009, 01:34 PM
Bryan - you're right in that NMFS has to make their best guess on the landings - but that's the problem. No one I've ever talked to has any confidence in their ability to estimate the landings and no one can provide an accurate guess as to how many people call in their landings. The system as it stands is horribly inept.

The dockside surveys are no better - I'm at the point where I don't even want to talk to them anymore. They come to the boat while I'm unloading a 1/2 day bass charter and ask me if I've landed any tuna. When I clearly tell them that we were not targeting tuna (and there's bass crap all over the place) the guys continue to fill out the report - its crazy. If you come in after 4:00 with a fish, forget, those guys are long gone (forget if its actually raining).

My point is this - the system as it stands is extemely flawed, and the people the NMFS is designed to serve have lost confidence in it.

As far as the cutbacks to the overall quota go - chris was absolutely correct. The angling category has been filling, so lack of reporting in not hurting us in terms of iccat. The angling category quota each year is determined as a percentage of the overall U.S. Bluefin quota -- we will likely lose a portion of our overall quota primarily due to the General, Harpoon, and Seine quotas not filling for the last several years. As a result of this reduction in overall quota, the angling will receive a reduction that corresponds to its percentage of the overall U.S. allotment.

Overall this whole thing sucks.