View Full Version : Dropped my new BADGER compressor

Swimmer
03-28-2009, 06:03 PM
It fell into an empty plastic rubbish barrell next to the table saw it was sitting on. It was not on. The landing could have been harder had it bounce of the cellar floor. However, it does not want to turn on. Anyone else ever drop thiers. I was wondering if I should pull the end off an check if a wire or a fuse broke or should I take it somewhere. Thier is a really good electric engine place in Whitman. Any suggestions.

Raven
03-28-2009, 07:23 PM
make sure the outlet still has power is my first thought

Swimmer
03-28-2009, 08:21 PM
I tried it in two others Craig. I can't see it being anything major. I don't want to have to send it back.

Redsoxticket
03-28-2009, 10:10 PM
The wire in the AC cord may have broke during the drop of the compressor if the cord was too short Test the plug with voltmeter, 120VAC.
No meter then attach a lamp or bulb to the end of the cord.via wires

MAC
03-29-2009, 07:15 AM
this may sound like a caveman approach but it may work. (can't hurt since it isn't working now anyways)

Maybe you dislodged the armature when it fell. If you remember how it landed, try turning it over and tapping that side off the bench. Who knows, may get lucky.

Pete F.
03-29-2009, 08:35 AM
If you are pretty handy I would open it up and see if something is out of place. I usually fix all my own stuff but I'm on the north side of 50 and have been taking stuff apart for 50 years and putting it back together succesfully for 40.

Swimmer
03-29-2009, 09:26 AM
I did take it apart this morning, switch end, and nothing appears to be out of place/broken. My thought is I broke something inside the switch itself, which I wont be able to see. Nothing is loose iside the switch though. I wonder if there is a fuse of some sort by the armature somewhere?

Swimmer
03-29-2009, 09:27 AM
this may sound like a caveman approach but it may work. (can't hurt since it isn't working now anyways)

Maybe you dislodged the armature when it fell. If you remember how it landed, try turning it over and tapping that side off the bench. Who knows, may get lucky.

Like we used to do when the starter on your car was wearing out.

Swimmer
03-29-2009, 09:29 AM
The wire in the AC cord may have broke during the drop of the compressor if the cord was too short Test the plug with voltmeter, 120VAC.
No meter then attach a lamp or bulb to the end of the cord.via wires

I have a volt meter down cellar. Some friekin place anyways. There is a ground on the backside of the face plate. I'll try that later. thanks. No juice come through means the switch broke maybe, .....

redcrbbr
03-29-2009, 10:47 PM
I know this may be a dumb question, is the tank full of air? may not be calling for the motor to start

Raven
03-30-2009, 05:02 AM
Great insight BoB

Swimmer
03-30-2009, 09:57 AM
I know this may be a dumb question, is the tank full of air? may not be calling for the motor to start

Hell of a question, but the answer is no. I took the regulator off which would have let any trapped air go. I just received an email from Herman at Badger and Herman says I should send it back to have him check it out. Guess thats what I have to do.

Redsoxticket
03-30-2009, 10:36 AM
Ohm out switch for continuity.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

Swimmer
03-30-2009, 11:09 AM
Ohm out switch for continuity.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

Huh? :cputin:

numbskull
03-30-2009, 11:16 AM
He means check the switch for electrical continuity in the "on" position. Unplug and open the device, touch a continuity meter to one pole going into the switch and one pole coming out and see if current goes through the switch when it is in the on position.

Charleston
03-30-2009, 11:35 AM
Put the compressor in a box, pad it. Close box, affix address label and take it to the Post Office. Only way!
The sooner you send it, the sooner you get it back.

If you still want to play with it, does it have brushes in the motor?

Swimmer
03-30-2009, 04:40 PM
He means check the switch for electrical continuity in the "on" position. Unplug and open the device, touch a continuity meter to one pole going into the switch and one pole coming out and see if current goes through the switch when it is in the on position.

I have/had one of those things but couldn't find it. May buy a new tomorrow and check this. It would seem to me if there is juice at the switch the problem is beyond the switch. But if no power at any of the terminals then the swiitch is problem broken, no.

tattoobob
03-30-2009, 04:50 PM
I would unplug it from the wall, then unwire the switch, then wire the power cord direct bypassing the switch and see if it comes on when you plug it in.

Redsoxticket
03-30-2009, 06:32 PM
No ohm meter, no problem.

Get following;
1) 9 volt battery (smoke detector)
2) flash light battery
3) 3 strands of wire

Attached wire from battery positive to bulb ground
then attach wire from bulb positive to one post of the switch then attach wire from other post of switch to battery negative.
Now turn switch on to see if light bulbs lights.

**** first see if the bulb turns on with the battery without the switch.

Swimmer
03-31-2009, 10:49 AM
I would unplug it from the wall, then unwire the switch, then wire the power cord direct bypassing the switch and see if it comes on when you plug it in.

Bob there are four or five wires going from the switch to at least two different functions insdie the unit.

Raven
03-31-2009, 03:46 PM
Bob there are four or five wires going from the switch to at least two different functions inside the unit.

you need the wiring schematic so you can identify which wires supply
current and which wires are strictly for the switch

tattoobob
03-31-2009, 05:08 PM
Bob there are four or five wires going from the switch to at least two different functions insdie the unit.

It probably has a pressure switch wired in there to, do you know an electrician? asking him/her for help would be your best bet

Swimmer
03-31-2009, 06:23 PM
It probably has a pressure switch wired in there to, do you know an electrician? asking him/her for help would be your best bet

I took the end off the other day and could see the prssure switch. All appears to be attached and whole there. I think Thursday its going in the box and then to UPS for the trip back home to be fixed. I appreciate all the insight everyone. I may make one call tomorrow to a place in Whitman that rewinds electric motors. I assume they may have knowledge of such things. I have been giving directions to thier business for 35 years, now its thier turn.

Swimmer
03-31-2009, 06:24 PM
you need the wiring schematic so you can identify which wires supply
current and which wires are strictly for the switch

Craig the company gives you everything but the schematic.