View Full Version : Right whales at the Race the other day

Flaptail
03-30-2009, 09:49 PM
Frolicking at RP, 50yds from shore. 3 of them. Pretty neat.

Flaptail
03-30-2009, 09:52 PM
more shots

Flaptail
03-30-2009, 09:55 PM
and some more

JohnnyD
03-30-2009, 10:08 PM
that's exactly what we were seeing. quite the site so close.

Funny thing is that when out tuna fishing, half a dozen whales are all around the boat and most don't pay a second though to them.

maddmatt
03-31-2009, 12:56 PM
right whales are endangered

how long before they ban fishing line cause it might entangle them?

or seals for that matter

they're still protected by the mmpa

RIROCKHOUND
03-31-2009, 12:58 PM
Did anyone propose banning fishing there?
Don't get your hackles up. Cool to look at, and yes they are endangered...

Gunpowder
03-31-2009, 01:50 PM
right whales are endangered

how long before they ban fishing line cause it might entangle them?

or seals for that matter

they're still protected by the mmpa

and its not fishing line thats doing the damage to the population ---> its their knack for always finding the front of tankers and just smashing into them... right whale more than any other whale species out there known for this... they just dont seem to want to move :confused:

DZ
03-31-2009, 02:15 PM
Related Article:

Scientist Discover Seals are Cause of Right Whale Decline
By John Falsehood (Herald News)

Scientists have recently discovered that seals have contributed to the demise of Right Whales. Last November area marine biologists witnessed colonies of seals attacking individual Right Whales as they migrated into Cape Cod Bay waters. The attacks were so severe that many Right Whales were killed. The disappearance of Right Whales has long been blamed on entanglements with commercial fishing gear and collisions with merchant ships in shipping lanes. But now Marine Biologists are saying that seals may in fact be responsible for declining numbers of Right Whales. When asked why seals would attack the whales noted Marine Biologist, Mr. Indablu Vater, said, “Seals are very territorial and do not like any other mammal to eat their food supply or live in the same sand beach areas the Cape is known for.” “They’ve already driven away the striped bass and bluefish and now they’re trying to drive away the Right Whales”, Vater continued.

But this development leaves area scientists with a conundrum as to which species to now protect. If seals, which are protected, are now killing Right Whales which are also protected, who should man help protect?
Vater, says that Piping Plovers may just be the answer. “Plover numbers are now exploding and it has long been known that seals are deathly afraid of the tiny birds, kind of like elephants being afraid of mice,” Vater mused.

But what should authorities do about the plovers if they start harassing the protected seals? Vater looked into the eye of this reporter and answered, “That’s where the Coyotes come into play.” “Mass Wildlife has a wonderful Coyote stocking program that has been able to control the plover population for years, they’ll just have to bring more out to the Cape.”

Gunpowder
03-31-2009, 02:19 PM
Related Article:

But what should authorities do about the plovers if they start harassing the protected seals? Vater looked into the eye of this reporter and answered, “That’s where the Coyotes come into play.” “Mass Wildlife has a wonderful Coyote stocking program that has been able to control the plover population for years, they’ll just have to bring more out to the Cape.”

when i first read this, i though for sure "coyotes" was a metaphor for fisherman being given the right to go have a free for all with the seals :spin: got a little excited there. sounds like a very interesting case study in the development.

timf
03-31-2009, 02:29 PM
So....you get coyotes to control the plovers, who control the seals, that kill the whales/stripers. This so you don't have to kill any animal, but then when the coyotes get out of control you either shoot them or get wolves to control them. Then it is hunting to control the wolves. Why not just introduce a few great whites into the area for seal population control. Then Brody can be brought in to control the GW sharks.

Gunpowder
03-31-2009, 02:34 PM
Why not just introduce a few great whites into the area for seal population control.

i agree... but try to get that past the public :lama: the line out town hall's will travel out and over the bourne bridge... most people just dont like sharks :tm:

buckman
03-31-2009, 03:13 PM
Related Article:

Scientists have recently discovered that seals have contributed to the demise of Right Whales. Last November area marine biologists witnessed colonies of seals attacking individual Right Whales as they migrated into Cape Cod Bay waters. The attacks were so severe that many Right Whales were killed. The disappearance of Right Whales has long been blamed on entanglements with commercial fishing gear and collisions with merchant ships in shipping lanes. But now Marine Biologists are saying that seals may in fact be responsible for declining numbers of Right Whales. When asked why seals would attack the whales noted Marine Biologist, Mr. Indablu Vater, said, “Seals are very territorial and do not like any other mammal to eat their food supply or live in the same sand beach areas the Cape is known for.” “They’ve already driven away the striped bass and bluefish and now they’re trying to drive away the Right Whales”, Vater continued.

But this development leaves area scientists with a conundrum as to which species to now protect. If seals, which are protected, are now killing Right Whales which are also protected, who should man help protect?
Vater, says that Piping Plovers may just be the answer. “Plover numbers are now exploding and it has long been known that seals are deathly afraid of the tiny birds, kind of like elephants being afraid of mice,” Vater mused.

well done:claps::laughs:

denport
04-02-2009, 05:24 AM
[QUOTE=DZ;678191]Related Article:

John Falsehood? Very nice.

DZ
04-02-2009, 07:49 AM

My attempt at a little April Fools humor... Not sure if many got fooled.

DZ

saltfly
04-02-2009, 08:01 AM
and some moreSteve,I'll send you some to post.

Gunpowder
04-02-2009, 09:00 AM
[QUOTE=denport;678701]

My attempt at a little April Fools humor... Not sure if many got fooled.

DZ

not gonna lie.... you got me... now i feel like an idiot :buds: :tooth:

Flaptail
04-02-2009, 09:50 AM
WOW, all I did was post some pictures of whales along the ebach and looked what happened.

Saltfly, U around this Saturday?:wavey:

JohnR
04-02-2009, 10:43 AM
DZ - Bravo Zulu :claps:

cableguy
04-02-2009, 02:24 PM
awesome pics Flap

Swimmer
04-02-2009, 02:37 PM
They are well within range of a Bomba yak attack.

quick decision
04-05-2009, 07:01 AM
does anyone know if these whales are still visable from shore? Where is the best place to look for them?

2na
04-05-2009, 10:23 AM
They were there last weekend. I'd start at either the Herring Cove parking lot (with binoculars) or walk from the Race Point beach parking lot, they've been in the rip in front of the Race. If you want to get to where Flap was you'll have to walk along the beach to the lighthouse from the ranger station, about a 45 minute walk. I'd time it to get there an hour or two before low, but if they are there they'll be there the whole time.

Either that, or wait until after the 15th and get a beach sticker and drive out. The whales are usually around until the 1st couple of weeks in May.

Mike P
04-05-2009, 10:26 AM

Indablu Vater was even better :rotflmao::claps: