View Full Version : Home Brewed Beer

keeperreaper
04-02-2009, 08:50 AM
Does anyone do this? How hard is it to do? Which kits are the best?

Saltheart
04-02-2009, 10:49 AM
Its easy. Best thing to do is call around to your local homebrew stores and see if they are having any beer making events on a weekend or whatever. This time of year they do tend to have some brewing going on. You can go down , drink beer and see it done. You can also talk to brewers. Buy a kit there if you like them and they are helpful. Don't worry about the price on the first batch or two if you are getting good help.

Brewing is easy but much easier to get started if you can get in on someone doing it where you can watch. You can do it just as Pappzian says in his book (every brew store will have that book) but seeing will shorten your learning curve.

I have brewed foralmost 30 years now. Its fun and when you get good at it , you cannot buy better beer at any price. Beer , like bread is best when fresh and making you own assures freshness. Also , the difference between a good beer and a great beer is just a couple of dollars more ingredients. $2 more per 5 gallon batch may kill a commercial brewer making a million gallons but for you a 5 gallon homebrew batch is well worth the extra money.

Hoppy Brewer in Attleboro is a good homebrew store and they are friendly and helpful and often have onsite brewing.

striperman36
04-02-2009, 10:51 AM
I got all the stuff, I just couldn't keep up with the demand, 2 - 4 cases at a time very 12-15 weeks doesn't.

JohnnyD
04-02-2009, 11:17 AM
Does anyone do this? How hard is it to do? Which kits are the best?

Saltheart gave you some great information. I have only made a couple batches and they were incredible. My girlfriend's brother used to bring home brews to every family event. He said it cost him well under a dollar/beer to make a batch. Can't beat the taste and the price is better than just about anything you can get at the packy.

Not sure where you live, but there is a small homebrew store in Foxboro that has some great people working there. It's called the Witch's Brew.
http://www.thewitchesbrew.com/
Their hours are pretty screwy because it's just a side business for them. Be prepared to walk in and almost immediately be offered some great beer to try.