View Full Version : Garage door troubles....WTF

Back Beach
04-05-2009, 02:59 PM
Long story short, I'm having garage door troubles with regard to the auto sensors, I think. My control started acting funny about one week ago and I had to release and manually open the door, then hold down the button to get the thing to close. No big deal, figured it was just time for a replacement. Shortly after this incident, the garage door opener on my wife's side started doing the same thing and she thinks the sensors got struck by lightning Friday night during the storm. Lets do some troubleshooting guys...who's up first with a suggestion?

tattoobob
04-05-2009, 03:32 PM
Try cleaning the eyes of the sensors

Slingah
04-05-2009, 03:35 PM
Try cleaning the eyes of the sensors

and make sure theyre lined up correctly

Raider Ronnie
04-05-2009, 03:46 PM
and make sure theyre lined up correctly

Agree for 1st step.
When properly aligned most sensors led light will change color or light up.

Redsoxticket
04-05-2009, 04:05 PM
Reset by turning off then on the ac power.
and/or
replace batteries on remote controls

Back Beach
04-06-2009, 06:27 AM
Agree for 1st step.
When properly aligned most sensors led light will change color or light up.

I have two doors and four sensors. Three of the sensors are not lit up. I tried unplugging all of the sensors in an attempt to override/test them and still no luck. I did witness my sons beating on the sensors yesterday with hockey sticks and riding bikes into them :laugha:, so I think we're on the right trail...

5/0
04-06-2009, 04:04 PM
As others mentioned are the eye's aliened with corresponding receivers,also how old are the sensors/whole kit & kabootal?
How are the wires to each sensor & receiver have you inspected them,did any of them get pinched or broken during the beatings:rotf3:

if the wires look ok are the sensors getting power can you check for continuity,it would be nice to say that it could be just a broken circuit.

If all four sensors are energized how's the wall mount switch,is it working,if they sensors respond properly to the wall mount then maybe the wireless remotes should be looked at maybe just a simple cleaning of the contacts,they sometimes get dust build up and stick.

Hey Mike do you have home link on either car?

Slipknot
04-06-2009, 05:23 PM
Damn kids, they wreck everything
be careful they don't whack your eel tank with their hockey sticks too.

like was said, the sensors must be out of alignment and possibly one may be now broken

ecduzitgood
04-06-2009, 05:49 PM
Don't forget to check for cobwebs on the door also.... that had me going nuts.

Sea Dangles
04-08-2009, 09:10 AM
A few months ago I lost my control board as the result of lightning.Big bucks when an $8 surge protector would have saved me.Expensive lesson.